A Story

I read last Tuesday's news on the Home section with a heavy heart. How ever sad the news was, it was indeed real that our teenagers need to truly see how loved they are by their parents. By making their parents repeatedly sad and worried over their well beings due to their havoc behaviour, it will only be of no use to the teenagers themselves if one day, a cruel twist of fate comes aknocking on their door. Of course, to these teenagers, their sort of behaviour is not seen as havoc because for all they know, who gives a damn about their lifestyle. But why carry on living that sort of lifestyle if it is going to hurt the very people who give them shelter, food, clothings and most importantly, love...and all these are of zero value because they don't expect us to pay them back every single cent. It is our obligation to give them money once we start working and not complain about it because we must remember that they have spent so much money on us because all this while they have never been so calculative about it so why must we start doing that to them.


This teenager's life story as written in the newspaper is not something new but a very common sad story over how teenagers start to value their friends over their parents. Being a teenager once, I know what these teenagers are going through because at this time, somehow parents do not understand the contents of our hearts as they only want the best for us. However, in our confused state of mind where the need for constant fun takes over our common sense, we only think that parents are just way too controlling. Look, I don't even have to be a teenager to know that because even as an adult right now, I thought my mum is way overboard with her nagging sessions with me especially when I have appointments with my friends. But if I look at it from a different perspective, it is not nice for me, being a lady, to come back home late at night especially at 12 or slightly over 12 am for almost all my appointments. It is not enough for me to just vacuum the house or buy her for groceries and food for the family because all these are not accountable for my safety when I reach home late at night. I felt bad that I actually spent the first thing in the morning when I woke up one fine Sunday blogging about her nagging the day before and how worried I was over her reactions when I had three up and coming appointments within the same week.


Well, guess what? I only managed to go for one as I had to cancel the next two appointments for I fell ill and had to nurse myself back to health by getting adequate rests from my gastric pains. I don't know if it was a way for God to keep me grounded because almost every week, I had been out and about with my friends and eating all sorts of food which did not do me any good in the end.


Whatever it is, at least I know my limits with my parents besides my limit with food as to what I can or cannot eat from now onwards. You can say that this is MY wake up call.


For the teenager in the news, I can only offer my deepest sympathy towards the parents whose happiness was shortlived when they found their missing runaway daughter at last and then the next thing they know, she will never be able to walk again. All because the daughter cannot accept that the boy she likes failed to impress their parents for they think that he is unsuitable for their young girl of only 15 years old. With her mind clouded by the influences of bad company and alcohol consumption, the worse took over her that she did not feel a tinge of remorse at all when her parents had spent their waking hours searching for her after her first runaway attempt. The trouble they took to find her and the help they had seeked to aid them to increase the chances of finding her. What did she do in return? She wanted to run away again the second time which failed because she fell and paralysed herself waist down after a failed attempt to jump off from the window four storeys high.


They love her too much which made them unable to convey the news that she may not be able to walk again at a very young age of 15. An age where she has yet to see much of the world to justify the strength of her parents' love to her and why at that age, they can be very protective of her too. For all the trouble she has caused them, they have not turned their back against her as they worry about how their daughter is going to cope with her paralysis and for myself, I am worried for her parents because it is not an easy job indeed. It is not going to be a smooth journey but I do hope that in this journey, if there is truly a great miracle that God will perform, it will be her ability to walk again. It is not because I worry for the girl's future but I only want her parents' load to be lightened.


It is a great life lesson indeed which her mother was willing to tell all teenagers that by simply running away from your family, especially if your family loves you with all their heart, it is not the way to solve problems. Talk it out with them if you can or to your teachers if you think they have trouble understanding your problems. Just don't run away from your house like that because you have no idea how wrecked their hearts are when they don't know how their beloved child is doing outside in a world which may not be too kind on you. A teenager's life is never easy and one can be easily influenced by negative thoughts and behaviours but due to our raging hormones, they are never negative. Just try your best to listen carefully to your heart if it is going to destroy your future because even it doesn't seek to destroy you completely just like a timebomb, it can slowly 'eat you up' just like a toxic waste inside you. Whatever you do, think twice or thrice and dont just think for yourself, think about the effects it can cause to those who love you.

Comments

Popular Posts