Nagfest

Gosh..yesterday was a total nagfest for my mum as she just could not stop nagging over every single thing especially when she knew that I would be going out. I had already given her two days advanced notice that I would be going out with a friend but it still went downhill from there. She asked why I kept making appointment with my friends and that there were things at home that I could settle like vacuuming and I told her that I would do that before meeting my friend. I could have backed out but I had promised her two weeks ago because the last time she asked me, it was for that very day itself and I had made a date with another friend. I thought she would forget lah since it would be two weeks later of which she did mention at first, there is no way for me to back out since she had already given me two weeks' notice in advance. That was until yesterday when she reminded me that hey, did I still remember our plan for Saturday? And I didn't know how to break this news gently except to promise her that this friend of mine wouldn't stay out for long and I would be back before 11pm before. Because prior to that she was nagging about what the heck we were doing outside until more than 8 hours in a shopping centre. I just said that we would eat and then my friend would be shop hopping and looking at things while I tagged along and we would also walk on stretches of pathways because Orchard Road isnt built to be small. And of course she didn't buy it and she would go on saying that she would take up at most 4 hours and come back home.



Oh, and her classic is why the heck do I have to follow them around when I could just excuse myself to go home earlier. She told me to stop being too nice to people especially when I myself, when I need to go somewhere, why I can go alone and not bothering to ask someone along while my friends, who are around the same age as me, always had to ask me instead. Like why can't they just ask their other friends instead. If my colleagues, she would be asking why they could not just go with their husbands and if they go out after work, don't their husband mind that their wives would be coming back home late? Anyway, she thought that these husbands didn't care about their wives' whereabouts so I shouldn't hang around with them too much or I would be like them. Sighz..


She would ask why always me...of which she would then add on saying that I was too nice to people. Yes, I put up with all those nagging and this was only part one of her nagging and it had not reached the part Two yet which would be on that day itself. I did things to 'please' her heart by going to the shop downstairs to buy them drinks even though my brother is independent enough to do that and prior to getting ready, I would vacuum the floor for them and throw away the rubbish. I would clean up my room so if she and my brother hang out in my room, with her on the phone and my brother on the pc, it would not be an eyesore. Still, she would not be completely happy and nitpicked me about my clothings even though it was just a darn shirt with no gapping holes or whatsoever.


Yesterday's comment was that my white shirt looked like one of those mourners at a chinese funeral and in order to further please her, I went to change and took a black one instead even though I was jolly well running late! SO that was how I went. But she took that swap of clothes as an offend to her and asked why I took black and I told her lah blatantly that didnt she say that the shirt made me look like a mourner and then she asked why the black shirt ah, the sleeves so short? Grrr...........what do you want, woman?! Before I went to change, she said that if I changed, she would not let me out so if I wanted to 'rebel', might as well not go. What the?! Me..rebel?!! Who was the one making such comments and did I protest loudly? NooOOoo..I merely took something to change and she thought I was being rebellious.


Then, as I was about to leave, she dropped another bomb on me. She asked me to buy drinks for her, precisely two packets of milk because she had an upset tummy and some drinks for my brother too. Almost one whole day I was at home and only leaving after 4pm and running late at that, she just HAD to ask me now. See? Don't you see a conspiracy here...she just hates me going out and she said that if I go out, I won't be able to accompany my brother in my room while he plays with his pc because I am either not at home or too tired after work and could not open my eyes and would sleep instead. I mean come on.....why blame me? Isn't it obvious it is my room and I have every right to sleep in it. And it is not my fault that my brother is the penakut or the coward sort with the wildest imagination that something would pop out of the pc at his face. You should tell him instead to get it over with and be brave and independent young boy instead because he's already 11 years old and next year taking his PSLE. He cannot forever be so scared over everything and what is worse, he cannot be left alone in the room even in bright daylight even though at one point of time, he did get over with his phobia and now he is at it again.


Oh, continuing yesterday's event, she had not stopped nagging at me apparently when I reached home at 10.33pm which she retorted sarcastically like 'wah, you broke record'. Im like whatever lah as long as I kept with my promise that I would be back early because this friend of mine didn't like to stay out that long either because she had mummy problem too. Then suddenly she noticed why my skirt so short and I told her that I wore this just now but she didn't say anything then why she made a big fuss over it now. Futhermore, I had been wearing this skirt for months and she never said anything except the first time I bought it which she compared with the previous skirt which was a tad bit longer. Then she nagged at how dirty my bottom would be if the skirt hiked up when I sat down on public transport and on public seats but I told her that I would push down my skirt first before sitting. She protested saying she did not think so and asked me to sit down and demonstrate to her if indeed, my skirt covered my bottom when I sat down.


Grr...but it's okay..rahayu can take it...she just did what she said and yah, as expected she would say that she was right that my skirt barely covered my bottom and told me to straight go to the bathroom to wash up and clean properly because all the germs would be covering up my ass. Oh my gawd....and I remarked that pls lah, I came back home early also she nagged. By then, when I went to the bathroom and began peeling my skirt off to wash up, she shouted why she never heard any water running in my bathroom. For goodness sake, Im 25..and not 15!! At that age, young women like me would have kids and a family already but right now, I am being treated like a pimpled teenager.


She nagged about my hair which she said that it was thinning and im becoming older than my age and that white hair she found on my head proved to her that I had not been taking good care of myself. She also nagged about my skin and what the heck did I put on my chin that it is covered with pimply scars. I told her that I had that for a long time already and they are fading away slowly already and how come now then she noticed. She, of course, said no and remarked that she only saw them now because all the while, she didn't see them. So again, what have I been using for my face till it became that stage. Tsk...alamak, it's just the overactive hormones lah and some more, bein stuck in the cubicle for three months which made my skin extremely dry aggravated the pimples to just keep on popping up. But no...I didn't go through the details with her because her mindset is always I never take care of myself.


While in the bathroom, I just told myself in the mirror to just bear with it and should be thankful that I have a mum to fuss over me. If all else fails, I would just turn into a 'yes, mum' mode in order to stop her from nagging because the more you say against her, the more revengeful she becomes even if you talking back at her is a matter of clarifying things only and not to show an attitude.


Haiz, next week I got yet another two appointments with the same two friends. When they asked me if I wanted to go this or that respectively, I thought I didn't sound convincing enough that I didn't mind going. Fuwah, it even showed through my smses and they didn't even have to hear my voice. I mean, it is not as if I go out everyday and I forget about my responsibility to my family but my mum should cut me some slack and have trust in me. I know her only problem with me is that she's thinking that Im becoming a scapegoat towards my friends because in her opinions, she knows that Im not the sort who is stingy and would not take a long time in a shop tat whenever I go out alone, I would usually be back in a jiffy. You cant compare me with them....Im just a bit odd and overly conscious over my budget that if I don't need something or don't wish to spend my money on them, I just wouldn't look at them for it would only be a waste of time. But this is different. I am with a friend and I just follow look look see see lah...no big deal what.


Whatever it is, if she wants to nag, she WILL nag so what do i do? Bear it with lah...


Comments

Popular Posts