Skip to main content

Trans Fat

Hey,

wow...when it comes to healthy living, Singapore is a bit the backward and now the buzz word is 'trans fat' when the whole of America probably knows its existence already. What the hell is trans fat? According to this pamphlet...(I shall go all technical about it)..

'Trans fat is a type of fat which is formed when liquid oils are changed into more stable semisolid fats, such as shortening and hard margarine. This process is known as hydrogenation.'


'Trans fat is also produced by the normal action of bacteria in the stomach of cows and sheep.'


'The main sources of trans fat in our diet are pastries, cakes, cookies, biscuits, commercially deep-fried foods as well as products containing vegetable shortening and hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils'.


What's so bad about trans fat which is unlike saturated fats which if you dont know by now..is one of the worst form of fats..well..here's the deal. It turns good cholesterol into bad cholesterol and what does this escalate into? Heart disease. Scary shit. Now why this sudden emphasis besides the fact that it increases the risk of developing heart disease? Well..it is some sort like a hidden danger like for example, it even exists in your normal loaf of bread whether white refined flour or wholemeal flour. Now everyone craves over wholemeal bread like the other time, I put back the loaf coz I got the smaller version and then two people attacked the next two loaves including the one I had put back. Like what the?! Cant they just at least wait for me to move away from that freakin shelf first instead of almost shoving me? Anyway, price isn't a factor now coz wholemeal bread costs a little bit more than your average bread but for the sake of health, it doesnt even matter. And it's shocking to know that we have to limit our trans fat intake to 2g. 2 freaking grams!!! Might as well starve myself..


For few weeks, I bought from this local supermarket who produced their brand of goods including the wholemeal bread which they sold in this jumbo pack for just $1.45. It was a deal alright but after reading this pamphlet, and then looking at the nutritional information on the package, I was like..oh.my.gawd. No wonder Im paying so little for so much! The nerves. Im not saying what is the shocker coz I dont want to sound like some unqualified dietician but I switched bread which is the first bread in Singapore that has no trans fat. STill, can never trust them enough but for now, well..what the hey. Sigh...I will make that $1.80 stretch a bit no matter how tempting the spreads that I got for the bread are.


Actually right, adopting a healthier lifestyle is pretty fun if you ask me. Okay so you may have to give up a heck lot of food and would beat yourself up over why the heck you chose this kind of freakin lifestyle especially if the food is beckoning you to come gobble them up. But seriously, if you dont be so rigid and treat yourself once in awhile with sinful indulgence, you can go far. Im not encouraging you to be the next sheep who grazes on grass with your bowl of salad but the fun bit of trying to eat healthier is when you swop your usual snacks with healthier alternatives. Just be creative! At the end of the day, you will feel that you have done something good for your body in the long term rather than just craving for an hour glass figure or have model proportions. It should be solely about your health if you want to live life longer and look youthful even when you reach the mid point of your life and beyond.


Here's a useful website for a guideline on the local foodfare (and no..it's not about the best makan places in town..hello wake up..its a health website)

http://www.hpb.gov.sg

Okay personally I have not quite taken a good look at this site yet coz it reminds me of work..like geez..wonder why. Anyway, happy treasure hunting!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Step at A Time

Hello there It has been a while, right? I used to treat this blog as a place for me to rant, talk about nonsensical things and interests that, when I think back about it, were pretty cringeworthy. But it was part of the process of me growing up and navigating through my life which is full of ups and downs, just like the tidal waves. I still need a form of outlet to write out my thoughts and I have been journaling for the last few years. At first, I was still writing nonsense, or simply writing about how my day went, but I try to make it a more conscious journalling where I will write about things that I can take lessons from or to reflect on. So how has life been for me? Well, I no longer am running an online shop where I used to do customised cards and then just specializing in box cards. I do want to have an online business, preferably one I don't have to travel to meet people.  If you read my last post about being zen, I think I have 'tripled' the amount of zen inside of...

Listen to Me

It kinda irks me when I am trying to express an opinion or sharing a piece of knowledge but it's met with strong objection or Im being cut half way before I even finished. I mean...come on...does it hurt to actually listen first, doesnt matter if u agree or not? Yes I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions but it's frustrating because I feel like a sore loser. That sort of conversation is actually begging to be turned into some huge argument if I am equally annoying and equally strong headed as well. But I dont want to do that especially if they are my friends. Then again, I am subjected to being called a wimp or somebody who cant stand up strong against what she believes in or her own opinions. That will sorta give the person a sense of pride for getting a landslide victory. At first I used to think that hey, maybe the person has a point and I am wrong. But come to think of it, that's bull! It's one thing not to argue and another thing to let ur own opinions b...

Not Gone from Good

Life hasn't been good lately especially in the last two weeks. The latest news is that it seems that almost everyone has an increase in their pay due to changes in the civil servant wage scale and very unfortunately, my group didn't get it. So my boss, whose post is that of a manager and the operations manager, have quite a significant salary rise.  I heard she got a 10% pay rise. 10%!!! look, even the attendants got a pay rise. What we got? nada! zilch! Why? Because apparently our salary is of a competitive range. Sigh, such is the unfairness of life. I'm already struggling as it is and then apparently now, the rich has become richer. The poor remains nothing but a destitute mess. So I guess the only chance for a pay rise is for me to be promoted and though I do not know how much pay rise will that be, at least it is going to be slightly better. The problem is that I have no clue when I will get promoted. I am not one of those people with many super ideas that will great...