NOt a Health Freak

Yup, last Friday I went on an escapade..to..uhm...Geylang...but before I go on to narrate to complement M's entry too, I want to rant and rave too.


Okay so Im diet conscious and Im a a twice-a-week gym freak...but I dont show how disciplined i can be and how much knowledge I have regarding nutrition. Still, I dont go OTT over it but wah.....it feels as if the rest of the people I know..not sure if they are mocking me..or they are just being concerned that I will lose track or what, sometimes it can make me go a bit...flustered. Sure I have all the right to feel guilty if the person herself..which is more than one actually...is a health conscious person and she knows what the hell she is doing, okay fine..make all the sense in the world.


But you tell me....is it good advice or not if I bought just a packet of strawberry milk coz I just had milo in the morning which my mum had made for me as breakfast from someone who bought a packet of m&m's candies and ate it just right after lunch of fried bee hoon goreng with a packet of prepacked milo. Drink is acceptable lah since she didn't buy drink earlier on with her lunch but when I bought just that strawberry milk which I didnt see if low fat or what, she used it against me. To me, as long as it is not milo good enough or it will be the THIRD time I will have that in a day...and then I said well, I didnt find anything to munch on so I just buy this in case im thirsty later. But I didnt say that I dont eat snacks like potato chips or chocolates as munchies like her..so that's good enough what.


I don't know what she was thinking and then remarking that this strawberry milk also contains a lot of calories because it has sugar in it. Can also put on weight easily by drinking strawberry milk even if we hardly eat. Then she asked me if I had been going to gym. I said yes...in a timid-ish way..like what the heck she was trying to do here...After that, she said that all over the radio they were promoting this halal food diet shake or something and that she heard it worked.


Come on lah..I feel like saying..give me a break! I got snubbed by buying a slice of fruit cake and a packet of reduced sugar soya milk before from another colleague and also my habit of drinking milo during lunch as if saying that I don't how to take care of myself like the proper way of dieting. Do I have to explain to these people that I dont have the usual dinner and sometimes even lunch like them like rice with several dishes to choose from etc etc or one main dish...and have to be contented with some bread and biscuits? I'll be happy if I can eat like them but the thing is...my mum doesnt cook dinner so I have to just make do with wholemeal bread and biscuits and at the same time, I dont snack either so to me, my sugar content comes from drinks like this or that slice of fruit cake which I have it as a light lunch to occupy my stomach till i reach home.


So I get their point that sugar is bad news but not having sugar at all is also bad news. The things is..I know how to balance things up like I know what constitutes of food that I need to give me the needed energy level without feeling sluggish. While others propogate that carbo is bad news too, I dont see it as completely bad too. You just need to know if you're having too little or too much. So again the key word is here balance. To me, if people make noise about this fat and sugar content thingey again, I might just give up and be totally vocal about it and say things in their face sort of person.



Stop with this generalising of people's diet if you don't know the whole story. Sure I dont mind you reminding me stuffs like this that maybe even I may overlook but dont preach me like Im being penalised on whatever food Im taking just because you know that Im a pretty health conscious person. Dont worry.....with two years of experience I more or less know what I am doing already and as much as I dont enjoy putting on weight, I dont want to lose weight the wrong way too by going on a crash diet with little exercise. If they want to do that..go ahead. If they want to see sugar and carbo as bad, go ahead. If they want to take supplements or willing to pay a hundred over dollars on those quick results slimming solutions, by all means....go ahead.


The experience that i have is pretty 'colourful' with lots of experimentations in between and I have experienced failure and also weight gain that is not just one or two but six kg in just under two to three months which was towards the end of last year. I even had bad experience with slimming pills that Im totally off them. In other words, there is no short cut and as much as I dont discourage those I know off who take supplements like those fruity or flavoured milkshakes that help to aid in weight loss and bloatedness, they are basically just that..supplements. And whatever they are doing, if they continue to not monitor their food intake and just eat what they fancy with this mentality they can still lose weight, to me that's bull. Yet I can hear them complaining that these certain products dont work for them. Duh....their lunchtime revolves around visiting different fast food restaurants each day. What do you expect? A miracle?!



And what thing that baffles me is that...here they are all being so dietician-ish about MY food intake but on their part, they can do what they want whether eating one whole pack of chocolate candies right after lunch or eating one whole big plate of rojak with deep fried pieces. For me, I get a good hearing from them like earlier, my health being was being questioned from buying that ONE strawberry milk packet that happened to not be low fat. And if I dont eat coz there is no food for me to choose and Indian food is out of question, I get hell for that too.


You know what? This is going to be my last entry on this coz Im not gonna go on repeat telecast. Coz I give up..I give up. In the first place, I never put my health conscious self on public display with my colleagues or friends on special gatherings like eating out and willing to bring the old me back where the fried goodies were like my good buddies and not my current crop of nemesis. Sure Im not about to tell them the sacrifice because I dont want them feel guilty the next few days I have to be extra careful with my food and increase exercise routines to make up for the food I ate the other time. It just wouldn't be so nice and I will risk not being able to enjoy those good times with them anymore in the future if I cant seem to eat this or that or be all diet conscious about it. Like I said, sure they can advice me but jz dont question my efforts for the last two years.


Why am I so mad about this when it can be a case of misunderstandings and as if this is all new to me. Coz the earlier one just now I also felt that she had this idea I took some super supplements or something since she knows of others taking similar things as well from our workplace but saying that they seem to gain more or have no results at all. That's them okay...but still, if they are doubting me, it's nothing that I can control of. Like I said, I can be open minded and accept their kind advice, but I just cannot tolerate being pointed at like..wah..go gym but still can eat this fruit cake or drink this no low fat strawberry milk. Aiyoh...just put a sock in it people...

Comments

Popular Posts