Everyone is Different

It's freaking official. I suck not only at gift buying but also gift wrapping. Talk about a double whammy. Whatever it is, I am done with da whole christmas thingey and the next thing is to distribute them out later on in the morning. Excited that it's a half day so I won't myself rotting away most of the times while the rest of my colleagues are busy rushing the deadlines to clear invoices and etc.  I just do my own thang..slowly but surely.


Speaking about colleagues, my colleague just received her exam results and she was so excited that she passed she made so much hoo haa in the office, the vice principal came out and see what was the commotion. At first I thought she was being such a loudspeaker for not containing her excitement and previously I was not quite happy at how she dissed the rest of her colleagues, though not directly, when she said she was sick and tired of working in here already. But I was glad she realized later on and told me that she learnt a lot of things when she is working here; In fact she learnt more than her previous workplace experience combined so in a sense, she was thankful for that. Well at least she's thankful. It's unfair to keep saying bad things about our workplace here coz I don't think we're that evil to bring her down until she has no choice but to leave. She can leave due to better work prospects elsewhere with better salaries but to say that it's because of ill treatment by her peers, that's not right. We are like family here.


I understand where she's coming from given the number of years she has worked here and hence experience a burnout. I myself was in that situation before and if not for the fact that my department was going to close down, I would have not moved on. Even then I was given yet another opportunity to remain in the job scope though our department has been outsourced and that was also the first time I knew the meaning of the word outsourcing. I would have settled with a slightly better pay but I just could not do this same mundane thing for yet another year. So I applied to MOE via my current HR department, at that point of time, and wait with bated breath, to be shortlisted and interviewed. Eventually I successfully did so and here I am right now.


It was hard moving out of the comfort zone because we were all like family but I needed to move on. So that was why I understood her position and I could relate better to her compared to my other colleagues who thought that she was just too outspoken concerning her job here like must announce to everybody. 


I mean at first I find it hard to accept but just now, I realized that hey, different people approach the same matter differently. It's their prerogative. People behave differently and react differently and we just have to accept that. Most of the time, it doesn't concern us so it's just best we keep our opinions to ourselves. But that's just what I think. Just smile, congratulate them, and move on. Of course others may choose to voice it out but if they voice out for the better of things, why not, but if it's simply to diss others or to cause embarrassment to others, I don't think that's right. Still of course, people may say that they have their right to air their grievances. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions though sometimes, it's wise they keep the damn opinions to themselves..haha.


For me, working with her has some bittersweet moments though I did learn a lot from her and I just could not bear the thought of handling some of her job scope in the future because she has set such a high standard. She has helped me a lot and also helped me to rectify the problems, because me being the typical work bimbo, I sometimes don't do things right coz I don't think clearly at times. While I may have tried my best, there are still some things that I may overlook yet her being a perfectionist, she seems to take one step ahead and get things covered first before things go wrong. But this is of course based on her past experience so she knows where are the potential fault areas unlike me who is still struggling to grasp the basics of things rather than to see ahead or to see the whole picture.


Well, I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm gonna miss working with her. I know I have complained quite a lot about her in my blog but I can't deny her work influence on me since I have worked closely with her. She understands my position and we both being of the same age, it's easier for us to relate to each other anyway though she's more fiercely independent than me which actually helps her a lot in her work.


I wish her all the best for her future and thank her a lot for all the help I need.

follow me at http://twitter.com/rahayupopz

Comments

Popular Posts