Beauty 101: Raising an Eyebrow

Notice my new blog layout?! In time for the new month, which you can also dub Election Month, since the General Elections is just around the corner. I didn't take long to design this coz basically it's a pre template and I just add a new background picture (I have a fascination with baroque floral designs) plus a new header. Forgive my ugliness but admire the photography idea behind the pic :D


Okay, for this 101 beauty, I shall introduce to you the benefit of having well trimmed and shaped coloured in eyebrows. If you can't afford to put layers of eyeshadow makeup, the least you can do is draw in your eyebrows. Why? It instantly 'lifts' your face by giving your eyes some definition and add a bit of oomph to your lovely face, provided you draw them well :S


Now I honestly can say that I'm no expert in this though I draw my eyebrows every day even if I don't quite wear the full make up every day. Of course there is a reason why I like to call segments like this as 101 because I offer you some tips or direct to you links that will provide more info while at the same time do a bit of layman explanation especially for the newbies in the blog entry itself.

I believe that we are all unique in more ways than one and as women, we tend to be more critical of ourselves than people are to us. We are our own worse critics. So in order to shut out these critics, we have to learn to be confident of our own looks and not having to constantly compare ourselves to others. I do have days when I feel unpretty, but it's okay. I will feel a tad bit better latter. What to do, mood swings are also part of a woman's repertoire.


Back to this. So I was saying that well defined eyebrows are a must. You don't have to unnecesarily pluck your eyebrows and trust me, overplucking will make you look so weird. Super thin eyebrows are also a no no. It gives you this constant surprised look instead of the soft eyebrows look.


What you can do is to get your eyebrows professionally trimmed and you just have to maintain them by getting yourself a good pair of tweezers to pluck out stray hairs or you can use a small pair of scissors to trim off a bit so that your eyebrows don't look so unruly.


I usually use the pencil kind to draw my eyebrows. It's quicker especially in the morning when I rush for work but it takes years of practice for me to get it right. Even then I still look quite bad at times especially when I don't have time to do it nicely. You can put your face moisturizer super quick, comb your hair super quick, apply your powder super quick too but when it comes to eyebrows? Take a bit more time unless you want to look clown like, especially with uneven looking eyebrows.


So what is the best shade? If you have dark hair, go for darker colours like a dark brown but if you have fair hair, then of course get lighter colours. The rule of thumb is that it should be at least one shade darker than your hair colour.


Nowadays they have a brow kit that provide you with a the colours and the brush to apply on your eyebrows. I tell ya, don't bother. You can get a cheap angled brush like how I did from Aries and then use a black matte eyeshadow (not shimmery, unless you want sparkly eyebrows) to lightly shade my eyebrows in small quick strokes. I'm not a fan of using dark brown colour coz it will be so add. I prefer using black, though people say will make you look harsh. But to me, it's the right technique application which plays a key part. 



I will soon post a video on it at the end of this post. There is a short clip on the right technique to define your brows somewhere in the middle of the video.


What I like about the upcoming video is that she also shows you how to apply everyday make up and it's pretty simple to understand. Trust me, I'm also a clown when it comes to make up but we should learn at least a wee bit and treat it as a daily routine to make ourselves prettier, not for the boyfriend or the husband but for ourselves :)


Good luck popzies! 

follow me at http://twitter.com/rahayupopz

Comments

Popular Posts