Nutrition 101: Popular Dishes

So before I start my post, let me entice you with some delicious food from our country, Singapore.


Char Kway Teow


Chicken Rice


laksa




Nasi Lemak

These are some of our popular dishes and trust me, they are indeed mouth watering if you can get the best of the best. I have tasted them a long time ago and even though I have eaten the healthier versions except for the char kway teow, of course nothing beats the cooking in their traditional forms.


While there are extremists like *ahem* yours truly here who don't eat them anymore, actually you can still indulge in them. If you intend to lose weight or maintain your current healthy weight, consider the tips I have included here below.


Recommended number of times you can eat, by the experts? One per fortnight. And no, I don't mean all in one go.


The problem with these food, though delicious, is of course the calorie content which is very high. For example, the coconut milk used in laksa and nasi lemak or the kway teow noodles in char kway teow. I have to stress this though. A dish can only be deemed fattening and detrimental to your health if you eat a large portion of it. Therefore a few biteful of it won't give you instant weight gain. You must learn to exercise portion control when eating food that are high in calorie content and one way of doing this is to basically share out the proportions so you don't eat one meal on its own. It's also a good way to save cost too!  You know how expensive food is nowadays. My mum occasionally will ask me to buy chicken rice and though I don't eat the whole thing in its entirety, I normally eat two, and at most three biteful of it. Sometimes, it is just a matter of relinquishing the taste of it.


Alternatively, if you pack home, you can eat half the portion and keep the other leftover half for next day's meal. That way too, you don't easily bust your daily intake of fats in under a day or in just a meal.


How about learning to recreate healthier versions of such food? You can replace coconut milk with soya milk. It will taste just as good, if not better. Add more vegetables so you can get the added nutrients and minerals.


These food basically contain little or no vegetables in them. Why not bring it up a notch and include a salad as a side dish. That way, chances are you won't be able to finish it all in one go as the fibre in the vegetables will make you fuller fast.


For more tips on portion control, you can refer to this website:


Portion Control


Curious as to how much calories char kway teow, laksa and any other popular local dishes have? You can go to the HPB website.





follow me at http://twitter.com/rahayupopz

Comments

Popular Posts