Thankful for Every Kind Gestures

Today today today...is a boring boring day. Well, at least at work but what to do, gonna earn some dough so I can pay the b-b-bills. Don't mind me..sometimes I'm a bit crazy.

With all the natural disasters occuring in different parts of the world and thousands of people left stranded without homes, we should be thankful that we have a roof over our head. We must also continue to be blessed with what we receive whether is it, a big or small gesture.

I read a lot about sad news on how people are struggling in Singapore, me included actually, and they don't get much help that are actually aimed to help struggling Singaporeans whether financially or to help them find a job. And with what little help they receive, if they're lucky, they start  blaming the government because of its inability to get them out of their undesirable situations.

For myself, I just don't get why the utilities bills are so high every month with only 3 of us. It seem to be stuck forever at this amount with very little changes. The reason they charge us a lot is because of expensive fuel so to keep up with the rising prices, they charge us higher water and electricity tariffs. They won't hesitate to cut off the bills, despite paying quite a substantial amount, because they are only interested in getting the full outstanding amount, nevermind if you are already struggling to come up with the cash to pay whatever you can. Then if you don't pay, they WILL NOT connect your supplies until you pay at least half. And for health reasons, my mum cannot be without electricity for long, actually who can :S, I will opt to pay that half and bug them to connect immediately without having to wait from 6 to 10pm. That's suicide. I mean come on, you can disconnect very fast, you cannot reconnect as fast too is it?

How did I come up with the cash? I had no choice but to use my mother's emergency funds and the latest one, I had to resort to borrowing, not to pay, but for my expenses coz the money meant for my family's expenses has gone into paying the utilities bills.

So it's a never ending battle for me until they decide to lower the tariffs which, well, wait long long for it lah. While the government can't cater to every request, they do try as much as they can compared to other countries where the government officials are only interested in stashing cash in their pockets never mind if they countrymen suffer or where the money come from. The only thing I don't like is when they talk 'big' like oh, everyone is able to receive the help that they requested because that is simply not true. They can say that they try their very best but not give us the assurance that 100% of us will receive the help needed.

But while we can just go on and on about the shortcomings of the government, we also have to be self reliant. I can never emphasize enough how we should be lucky compared to others who may not be as lucky as us. Sure we all have our own problems, but it's not like they take over our lives. We still have to go on living.

There are kind people around, trust me. Most of them may not offer a big help, but whatever small gestures they are willing to offer, I will be glad to accept it though it also depends. Yesterday I received this $10 NTUC voucher


Actually, it wasn't supposed to be mine but my kind operations manager gave it to me on the spot when I handed over the cert and voucher to him coz he didn't turn up for the presentation. I dunno why but I kinda have the feeling that he would give it to me..heh. And he did! Of course I had to politely decline it at first but he said nevermind, I can have it. So I take lah. That will save me about one day's worth of money spent on groceries. Glee!

My advice to you is that if you can get help, please don't hesitate. Don't think that you need to preserve your dignity so you don't want to ask for  help coz with a bit of financial help, no matter how small it is, will help you along the way for your daily needs. If you have children, apply for bursary at the nearby community centres. It's a good motivation for them to study better next year and also to cope with the buying of books and uniforms.

I'm hoping that my brother will receive his bursary from MOE because he got no. 4 in class and we are of the lower income group range and I suppose we qualify. Knowing him, he will most likely keep the money for himself but if it helps to take the burden off me spending money on him, then it's alright..hehe. I really hope he does get coz I didn't get for him the bursary application form via the community centres. Please God help my brother. I'm sure the money will go a long way for him (well..depending on how fast he uses the money too) for his stationeries and etc. Any kind of help is greatly appreciated.




follow me at http://twitter.com/rahayupopz

Comments

Popular Posts