The Antics of Children

I feel a little bit under the weather now because some smart aleck put a rather big standing fan at a corner of our office, with the air con on no less, and had it blowing at us for the whole day. I dont know what was the deal with putting a fan there but then again, knowing the antics of my colleague, it was not surprising. And being someone who is pretty sensitive to strong breeze, which makes me switch off the fan in the middle of the night for some peaceful sleep, I caught a bit of flu which is not a good thing because my throat is also affected which sucks. If this happens, normally I will feel rather terrible. I just hope it is just a passing phase and it will be better tomorrow and I'll just suck on one more lozenge before I sleep..haiz. Well, at least it's better than accusing Mariah of passing on the flu bug to me..heh..

Anyhoo, I was kept busy almost the whole day with labelling files as well as labelling names of non Chinese students and oh..my..gawd...can their names get even more complicated than that? I had to double check the records online just to make sure I didnt get the spelling wrong or something. As usual, there were the usual interruptions and seriously, if the parents get any letters, please ah, keep them for reference sake. And a few times I had to 'konk' my head or think through what the heck I was doing when labelling the files because it all seemed foreign to me..this non-mother tongue crap thingey that came in three files. Then the instructions came from that very same colleague whom Im not really on par with as she was put in charge of some aspects of pupils' administration and that some of her duties would be shifted to me eventually as she is now handling accounts payable.

After I was done labeling, after nearly 5pm, I was like..oh now I know what the heck I was doing all that time. And yes, it was a Monday so you know the deal with Mondays...only half your brain will work. Though this brain was also in a 'what the?!' mode when one primary six half caucasian boy came to me with a bloodless smaller than your one cent or one penny scraped skin with the skin still intact on his palm and he was like screaming in pain. And apparently, a plaster was not sufficient for him! He wanted me to put a bandage on top of that with a cotton pad and before that to clean it. Haiz, to shut him up from the screams..yawns...I put on a cotton pad on it, which he asked to fold in half after I said it's a bit too big for the scrapped skin, so I just do what he wanted ah. Probably just to let him 'entertain' his friends like oh what big injury he had with a bandage on his palm..gawd.

But according to my colleagues, who would flatly chase him away, like a big 'go away!' even before he completed his sentence, he is a very naughty boy though I dont know in what way. I only know that he is quite an attention seeker because it's not the first time I see him in the office and after the earlier incident, confirmed he is one!! Even kids younger than him, with a bigger cut than him after a fall did not whince in pain when I put on plaster on the injured part.

I can only imagine that if he goes to secondary school and eventually becomes a teenager, he will be a very handsome guy who is appealing to girls if he goes to a mixed school. Appealing...until he falls and injures himself with a tiniest scrap on his palm or knee.

But like I said before, these children, though at times annoying, pesky...and uhm, demanding...whichever is worse, can be pretty cute at times even if they're pretty big already like age 10 and above. Of course I particularly like the chubby primary one children coming into our office with their cute little voices and shorts that look a bit too big on them asking for our help. And then, seeing the bigger boys cry when they get scolded by the teachers badly or for any other reason, I feel quite bad for them also though at times they deserved it..heh. My other colleagues, probably used to their antics, are not really nice to them so yes, I have a feeling that I will be THE ONE to look for whenever they go to office and I think some of them might be doing that already. I can be strict too like asking them the infamous 'why?' question only because I was finding some excuse to not call the teacher down via the PA system or to avoid being labelled as 'too nice' for giving them permission to use the office phone..haha..

I cant deny though that these children colour my working life as well as some of the teachers also who make my day with their friendliness. It kinda kills the loneliness a bit of me being a newbie among the old timers who will usually joke among themselves though the one who usually start the ball rolling is that so called bubbly colleague of mine while others are just playing along with it. But I dont feel like Im left out or anything because I dont really find her put on 'cute antics' as funny though my operations manager cracked me up with the way he talked to the boys, his guests or the companies that he hire for contract services for our school.

Now that one is original like one time, one of the contractors was like waiting for almost five minutes outside his cubicle while he was concentrating on writing an email. I told him he had someone waiting and then my colleague also told him that and he gave like an almost inaudible 'yah yah..'. But that poor guy was waiting quite awhile until my colleague gave another shout that there is a guy waiting for him to sign and he was like...'huh? you didnt tell me what..someone waiting for me!' DOh! *slaps forehead*

Yes I think I overdone with my 'work talk' again so I will self ban myself on this topic for the next two days..haha..

Comments

Popular Posts