Skip to main content

Drama Buff

I just realised that I know the american channels, both cable and non cable, better than the local cable channels. Why? Coz I read drama and reality tv reviews and episode guides on the internet which also tell which channel they come from. Of course they are way ahead of us like how Ugly Betty is now in the 10th episode of its second season while right now, Im like STILL ANTICIPATING for the first episode from the current season. As open as the Americans are, they do have family friendly shows which swerve away from showing too much into the lifestyles of the younger generations, aka college students and the young adults, but without completely avoiding the themes which reflect the real life dramadey of these demographic groups. Uhm, for example, premarital sex, booze and hard parties. But sometimes they do add a bit of 'colour' as a way of experimenting to cater to a niche group of people like portraying interracial relationships and single parent families.

SO, it's really interesting and I do enjoy watching independent movies made by film students or low budget film production companies because they do try to push the boundaries compared to mainstream movies and dramas. Of course, as engaging as the storyline can be, sometimes it can be a little bit too farfetched and the acting pretty stiff. But, there is still hope for improvement because online viewers often give their two cents' worth of opinions based on these indie films and if you read through them, can be pretty constructive though they're not exactly experienced film critics or something.

But, it kinda changed me a bit. Because of this exposure towards indie films where the actors are not well known but either undergraduates or graduates of theatre and film studies, I kinda have a bit of lost interest towards the mainstream movies with 'blockbuster' pasted all over them.

Still, they do have these indie films or art films as they call it here but, like I said, sometimes they can be quite a bore to watch. A bit of something is a novelty but if there is too much of something, it can be a little bit overpowering such as when they try to put in so many mismatched ingredients in a broth, it can kill the flavour. Somehow you have to strike a balance and if they are successful at doing that, it can be one heck of a pleasurable movie to watch without losing interest in between or be disappointed with the ending which leaves you scratching your head thinking what message are they trying to put across.

However, I still like movies with happy endings or at least those movies where the main characters struggled through and then come out triumphant or they, so to speak, 'beat all odds'. Im a sucker for that.

But being someone who confess to watching tv shows with hunks on parade for no purpose, you cant take my words seriously in this entry. Then again, Im just diversifying my palate..hehe..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Step at A Time

Hello there It has been a while, right? I used to treat this blog as a place for me to rant, talk about nonsensical things and interests that, when I think back about it, were pretty cringeworthy. But it was part of the process of me growing up and navigating through my life which is full of ups and downs, just like the tidal waves. I still need a form of outlet to write out my thoughts and I have been journaling for the last few years. At first, I was still writing nonsense, or simply writing about how my day went, but I try to make it a more conscious journalling where I will write about things that I can take lessons from or to reflect on. So how has life been for me? Well, I no longer am running an online shop where I used to do customised cards and then just specializing in box cards. I do want to have an online business, preferably one I don't have to travel to meet people.  If you read my last post about being zen, I think I have 'tripled' the amount of zen inside of...

Listen to Me

It kinda irks me when I am trying to express an opinion or sharing a piece of knowledge but it's met with strong objection or Im being cut half way before I even finished. I mean...come on...does it hurt to actually listen first, doesnt matter if u agree or not? Yes I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions but it's frustrating because I feel like a sore loser. That sort of conversation is actually begging to be turned into some huge argument if I am equally annoying and equally strong headed as well. But I dont want to do that especially if they are my friends. Then again, I am subjected to being called a wimp or somebody who cant stand up strong against what she believes in or her own opinions. That will sorta give the person a sense of pride for getting a landslide victory. At first I used to think that hey, maybe the person has a point and I am wrong. But come to think of it, that's bull! It's one thing not to argue and another thing to let ur own opinions b...

Not Gone from Good

Life hasn't been good lately especially in the last two weeks. The latest news is that it seems that almost everyone has an increase in their pay due to changes in the civil servant wage scale and very unfortunately, my group didn't get it. So my boss, whose post is that of a manager and the operations manager, have quite a significant salary rise.  I heard she got a 10% pay rise. 10%!!! look, even the attendants got a pay rise. What we got? nada! zilch! Why? Because apparently our salary is of a competitive range. Sigh, such is the unfairness of life. I'm already struggling as it is and then apparently now, the rich has become richer. The poor remains nothing but a destitute mess. So I guess the only chance for a pay rise is for me to be promoted and though I do not know how much pay rise will that be, at least it is going to be slightly better. The problem is that I have no clue when I will get promoted. I am not one of those people with many super ideas that will great...