What Hari Raya Means to Me

Hi, 


first of all, wishing all my muslim friends and readers, a Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri. Honestly, I am the last person you should expect to be in such celebratory mood compared to the rest of the people, haha. With all due respect, I think it is a beautiful occasion as we celebrate the end of the one month of fasting and it is also the day where we pay our respect to our elders and ask for forgiveness among friends and relatives. 


If you go house visiting, you get to meet your relatives, chit chat and bond over food that are especially cooked during the occasions. 


For me, it is not really a joyous occasion. It has been like that over the years though at times,  I do visit houses if I am invited. I do get to enjoy the food though I have to be careful as the food cooked on this day are usually..well..let's just say they don't call it joyous for nothing, ha! 


While I respect the occasion, I hope they don't overspend because while it can be such a joyous occasion, it can also be costly. And with the looming bad economy, if you ask me, it is best to keep things simple. After all, it is not about having the best kuih, the best dress, the best dishes or the most decorated house, it is about keeping in touch with the people around you and start anew if the relationship has been strained due to misunderstandings and etc. Think of God too for being able to let you celebrate yet another year of this glorious occasion.


Once again, Selamat Hari Raya to all Muslim people around the world, and especially to you if you are reading my blog :)

follow me at http://twitter.com/rahayupopz

Comments

Popular Posts