Skip to main content

Of Fasting and Food Quirks

I am so stuffed, I am amazed how I can still manage to blog. If you notice, I have been blogging using my blackberry. Not that I am lazy (well....), it is just that I can be so stuffed it's rather difficult to maneuver around except when I am in bed, heh. 


Anyway, my mum's cooking prowess shows through this one week of break fast after whole day of fasting.  For those non-muslims who are just curious as to how fasting means, well honestly, I don't feel hungry ALL the time. I do feel a dip in energy level obviously as food provides energy but I can still go about doing my errands and working. I do also feel hunger pangs but they don't last very long and it will just go away without me realizing. As most of the time, I am working in air conditioned environment or that I am at home, I don't have annoying headaches that may come about as a result of lack of food and water but I have walked under blistering sun before (for instance, yesterday) and it can pose as a bit of a challenge. After years of training, you somehow can accustom yourself and not think too much about the heat. You er, just have to get your errand over and done with so that you can come back home and take a good rest until break fast time.


Anyway I want to talk about food quirks. I'm sure we all have food quirks. I have a few. I usually don't like to make it like some kind of big deal when it comes to food quirks and I don't really care if people say I'm weird like whatever, though I do think they are though I don't say it out loud, haha.


Some of the food quirks I heard of is that some people can't stand those green leafy garnishes on food, namely coriander leaves, and I know many don't like tauge or beansprouts in their dishes. I don't mind but I mind if they put a whole lot overpowering the whole dish. I can understand why they don't like beansprouts especially with the 'tails' still on them. I got an ex colleague who requested for the noodles to have no beansprouts but they came with beansprouts and she promptly returned them. 


Some odder food quirks is a recent one when one coursemate said that she will never eat KFC anymore ever since she watched a video that showed how the chickens in a country were so overfed they could hardly walk and looked sickly and with no feathers. She also doesn't eat hotdogs because they look disgusting though she will cook for their children.


So what are my food quirks?


I don't eat fish. Call it bad experience in the wet markets when I was younger and intoxicating smell that put me off fish. I do eat tuna with mayo though but at one point, I couldn't eat it. Why I could eat it? Well, my mum tried to feed me something fish related when I was young so that was something easy to feed me especially when eaten with bread. I still can't eat a lot of it too though or I would feel sickly like wanna puke sickly. I could eat fried ikan bilis or anchovies. Fish burger? Hrm, something my mum also made me eat though the minute I see bits of skin, I just can't go on.


Another food quirk? I can't stand sambal belachan or chilli paste that people usually eat to add a bit of spize to their food. I just...can't. It stinks and it tastes awful and sometimes I wonder if I was born to Malay parents coz Malay people lurve their sambal. Because it is such a common condiment in Singapore, I do get weird looks if I say I don't eat sambal in its raw form. I can, however, eat a sambal based dish, just that I can't eat the stuff on its own :S


My most famous food quirk? At least to my mum coz she finds it super annoying....


I don't eat ANY FOOD with coconut milk in them. I think I've mentioned this numerous times on my blog before but it is true! Do you know that I can't basically eat a lot of food coz of this and coconut milk is like such a popular ingredient in Singapore dishes, Malay dishes or otherwise. Can you imagine missing out on so many good food? Namely, Nasi Lemak, Laksa, Rendang (beef or chicken cooked in dry paste) and even desserts like bubur hitam which is like a very popular dessert in Singapore!


This began a few years ago when one day I just decided I shall not eat anything with coconut milk in them and being a Malay where most Malay dishes contain this ingredient, it's just a stupid thing to do. At first, I just tried to minimize consuming it but then it went full scale. But I am heartened to know that my mum is slowly adapting to this quirky habit of mine by replacing the milk with low fat evaporated milk instead. The food doesn't taste as rich as the ones used with the real deal but to me, it is still delicious without the guilt hanging over me. I do however make an exception during Hari Raya. I can't run away from it, haha.


I've got other food quirks too. I don't eat the yellow hokkien noodles AND kway teow noodles as well. And you wonder why I'm Singaporean as many popular noodle dishes have these noodles used in them. Char kway teow, anyone? Honestly I did eat them before in quite recent times but in small bits and I realize, they don't taste as nice as they used to. Now they just taste so bitter and super oily like after a few bites, I just don't feel good. I think they add a lot of oil to them to make them taste better but it just doesn't cut out for me anymore and at least if I have given them up, it's just a good thing to do so.


Other than that, I eat like a pig, hahaha. Ok, not really. My carbo intake has been slashed so much! I used to be able to eat rice and have a second helping and now I can barely eat half a serving even and it frustrates my mum coz she doesn't know how little to put on my plate. Though now she doesn't put much rice, it is still more than enough for me and I will feel full.


So have you got any food quirks to share? Am I bad for missing out on so many popular dishes, haha...

follow me at http://twitter.com/rahayupopz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Step at A Time

Hello there It has been a while, right? I used to treat this blog as a place for me to rant, talk about nonsensical things and interests that, when I think back about it, were pretty cringeworthy. But it was part of the process of me growing up and navigating through my life which is full of ups and downs, just like the tidal waves. I still need a form of outlet to write out my thoughts and I have been journaling for the last few years. At first, I was still writing nonsense, or simply writing about how my day went, but I try to make it a more conscious journalling where I will write about things that I can take lessons from or to reflect on. So how has life been for me? Well, I no longer am running an online shop where I used to do customised cards and then just specializing in box cards. I do want to have an online business, preferably one I don't have to travel to meet people.  If you read my last post about being zen, I think I have 'tripled' the amount of zen inside of...

Listen to Me

It kinda irks me when I am trying to express an opinion or sharing a piece of knowledge but it's met with strong objection or Im being cut half way before I even finished. I mean...come on...does it hurt to actually listen first, doesnt matter if u agree or not? Yes I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions but it's frustrating because I feel like a sore loser. That sort of conversation is actually begging to be turned into some huge argument if I am equally annoying and equally strong headed as well. But I dont want to do that especially if they are my friends. Then again, I am subjected to being called a wimp or somebody who cant stand up strong against what she believes in or her own opinions. That will sorta give the person a sense of pride for getting a landslide victory. At first I used to think that hey, maybe the person has a point and I am wrong. But come to think of it, that's bull! It's one thing not to argue and another thing to let ur own opinions b...

Not Gone from Good

Life hasn't been good lately especially in the last two weeks. The latest news is that it seems that almost everyone has an increase in their pay due to changes in the civil servant wage scale and very unfortunately, my group didn't get it. So my boss, whose post is that of a manager and the operations manager, have quite a significant salary rise.  I heard she got a 10% pay rise. 10%!!! look, even the attendants got a pay rise. What we got? nada! zilch! Why? Because apparently our salary is of a competitive range. Sigh, such is the unfairness of life. I'm already struggling as it is and then apparently now, the rich has become richer. The poor remains nothing but a destitute mess. So I guess the only chance for a pay rise is for me to be promoted and though I do not know how much pay rise will that be, at least it is going to be slightly better. The problem is that I have no clue when I will get promoted. I am not one of those people with many super ideas that will great...