Just Another Belt Tightening Day

You have no idea what I am doing right now. I am refreshing you tube every now and then because I am anticipating an upload of a very recent episode of Emmerdale. You know Im a soap fan though I selectively watch what I want to see only. Meanwhile, while waiting, I shall blog which is like the most logical next step. Anymore logical, I will be lying on my comfy sofa right now.


Sometimes, things work in mysterious ways. I was recently stuck in a dilemma as to how I was going to spend my half day leave in the afternoon going shopping with a friend of mine. There are several things running through my mind. For one, I do not have shopping money...or at least, money spared for shopping. I am quite particular about spending my money because I am currently in the midst of paying my outstanding bills and it's a hefty burden for me. Second, I kinda dislike going shopping with people especially those who seem to have an aversion to what I like and it sucks coz you really like it coz it's so you and they have to spoil your day by saying that it doesn't look good on you. Instead they recommend something to you that so darn appalling. If they offer an opinion which clearly says that they know what they're talking about and that Im just delusional for liking it, then I can understand. 


For myself, I don't like gawdy clothing or anything that add years to my age. I like simple basic wear but of course sometimes I go for slightly elaborate designs as long as it doesn't overpower the whole outfit. I don't have to think so freakin hard over a certain outfit and if it makes me thing so long, then it's probably not worth it. The only thing I do is making mental calculations and to think carefully if I have something similar to this at home and also if I will wear it. Most of the time, I will because I don't want to waste my money on a piece of clothing that will never see the light of day because I think I look awkward in it. 


I don't have a specific colour that I avoid or buy too often. I like a variety of colours as long as they don't all come together. But then again, I don't really like green unless it's a nice colour. 


So I would rather shop alone. It's not as scary as it sounds. In fact, it's rather liberating because there is no one there trying to psycho you in not buying the outfit. Or better yet, psycho into buying something even though you are pretty reluctant just because they bought something and it's just so weird for them to see me not getting anything like I should spend my money too.


Therefore when the plan got shelved, I kinda am pretty happy although I shouldn't be gloating over her misfortune. I mean we will definitely resume our plan later but hopefully by then, I have some shopping money at least. Now, Im totally in a dry spell. So dry I even have to give the Mango sales a miss including that top which I clutched to death in the shop but had to put it back because I don't want to carry the guilt of buying  in times of financial hardship right now.


Then the next coincidence was when my aunt messaged me at about the same time that she had to shelf her plan of meeting me in the later evening as well to pass me her makeup tip because she was unwell. So instead, she would mail it to me which I have already received. Save my trip of travelling all the way to Woodlands in a super packed train surrounded by nauseating bodily odour. Plus the trip back and forth is not cheap coz when I go back home, I have to change public transport three times.


While I try to try to sustain for as long as I can the money for the week, sometimes I just have to spend money like the cover for my work place wireless keyboard. I understand why people go gaga over apple products coz they are so nice to use (although the wireless mouse has a life of its own) but they're so resistant to wear and tear because of their customary white colour. And because I don't have clean fingers all the time as I also eat at my table for lunch and also any time of the day, they keyboard is bound to get dirty very very soon like it's predecessor when I first got the imac. Unfortunately, my office is not purchasing the keyboard covers for us as it's considered for personal usage. The cover comes in a variety of colour, and I got mine in pink (so pretty!), which I had to fork out $25 just now :( Actually part of the money I had in my wallet was to buy a skirt on sales at harbourfront centre which I was pretty reluctant to go coz, like I said, I didn't spare any shopping money. If not the skirt, it can go towards buying of groceries which is a more pressing need.


Anyway, before you bludgeon me for not staying true to my words to be careful about spending, I did my mental calculations already and I emailed my brother's public trustee officer the receipt for yesterday's visit to the hospital just now. I actually used my money first to pay for his doctor's consultation. It was $28 which can cover back the $25 that I spent on the keyboard cover. I withdrew from my mum's savings account first and at the end of the month, the public trustee will refund the money back to her account so it's sorta like a win win situation. I just hope she receives my email or she hasn't quit yet coz if not, then Im in trouble :S Ok, maybe not. There's always the generic email but I don't want to lose her because so far, she has been very professional and helpful. And I've always been courteous in my email as well..hehe.


If there is any consolation, I was this close in buying the latest edition of Cleo magazine and also  this close to spending about $4 plus on a set meal comprising of delicious soft boiled eggs, bread and hot tea, which is about the same price as the mag. In the end, I didn't because of the constant reminder to myself that I need to use the money for more pressing needs. But I suspect that I somehow will end up buying the soft boiled eggs but perhaps at another shop over this weekend which is selling much lesser than this so called upscale Ya Kun. Of course it's always cheaper to do it yourself but not in  my household where my mum is super guarded over her kitchen and the laundry area although now, because she lacks exercise outdoors, she suffers from aches and pain every now and then. So now I have to help out in hanging my share of laundry. 


I popped by the library and borrowed two past issues of Cleo magazines instead. I dunno man, I still want to get that magazine because this issue is worth buying because based on the covers, I am interested in most of the headlines of the articles inside. We shall see.

I am going to bed now and I want to wake up a biiiit early so that I can catch the latest episode of Ireland's Emmerdale. It promised an exciting episode so I think by morning, they would have put it up already on you tube. Why can't Singapore and UK has the same timing, at least just for this..haha. Miracles do happen but definitely not this way.

Comments

Popular Posts