PSLE

My brother's PSLE results were finally out. I was relatively calm the night before and even the morning of yesterday where he would be getting his results by afternoon. I didnt expect anything outrageously miraculously out of him but of course, like any parents, or uhm..big sister in this case, who has been coaching him all this while, I do expect that he will at least do well. So far, all this time of coaching him, I hope it will be at least fruitful or something. Anyway judging from the questions that I had taught him or tried before teaching him, especially for Maths, I didnt expect him to get an A or B but neither do I want him to fail. Actually, my goal is to get him into express stream even though I guess I would still be fine if he goes to normal stream but in life, you always try not to aim for the second best. If you can, try for the best first and see how it goes. No pressure lah but it will be good if he can.

Furthermore, based on his exam results and also his prelims, I did try to mentally prepare that there is a high possibility that he will go to normal stream. Im not against that stream..really...but I just feel that he can do better which makes me voluntarily sacrificing my precious sleep...and spending my waking hours at night (doesnt help that the kid is nocturnal too)..doing one maths question after another. It was a sacrifice that i had to make.

In the end, when his results came out, even though it was slightly below my expectations, he managed to scrap through and meet the qualifying score for Express stream. To me that is a miracle and the bigger miracle is that not only did he pass his Maths but he also got a C which was what I expected him to at least get if it's not A and B..coz so far, for the past two years, he never went beyond 50. In other words, fail lah.

So in terms of choosing secondary schools, I am half glad that there are neighbourhood schools that are quite near distance to our home that offer express stream for his aggregate score. I dont care if he doesnt get his first choice but at least get one of the given six choices. But of course, these six choices are of reasonable distance to our home.

To me, in terms of his first choice, if he gets it, Im fine with it as well as my mum coz it is the nearest one to our home. It is also a value added school of which its express stream has received a bronze award. I mean to me, not only distance is important but also the value of the school because at least I know my brother is in the hands of capable teachers.

I have been told that I should put my brother in a stream that he is capable of even if it is in the normal stream. I mean they said pity the boy because scared he cant cope. And besides, during his secondary school, he can also be given the chance to go to express stream mid way.

Unfortunately, I dont see it this way. I mean I dont tell them coz I dont want to offend them.

Im not trying to push him but in time to come, job prospects will be a lot harder than now and it will be very competitive. So if I dont start him early, it will be difficult for him to cope in near future. Of course I wont leave him out in the snow like that and I will be coaching all the way. For them, they will just leave it to their children to work hard by themselves or leave the job to the school teachers as well as the tuition teachers.

So right now if hes given the opportunity to go to express stream, why not take it up instead of just settling for the second best?

Okay, so there's a lot of anticipation next month. From my job on whether I will be selected..to my brother's secondary school posting...it's gonna be a bit mad next month. Knowing secondary school education is not cheap, I think the payout will come in handy so in terms of finance, I think at least for the first few months, I guess we will be able to cope. So no fancy gadgets for me, except maybe a handphone coz I really have to get one. I will do minimal shopping coz I think my wardrobe is exploding and pity my mum who does the laundry too.

Wow...and I dont even know if I am able to make it to next month even.

Comments

Popular Posts