Outsourced Part Two

I actually knew of the compensation benefit which they had mentioned together with the announcement that we were being outsourced. But again, my concern is that will I be able to find myself a new job. But the clause that we're supposed to stay until dec 31st to be eligible for the bonus puts a stall in my working life in a way that Im not able to find a new job so Im one heck of a confused individual.

But......the HR dept has been very helpful and they didnt just leave us hanging like that such as take the money and then off you go type. They gave us two job opportunities, one external and one internal. One is ST Logistics under their medical services where I would basically be doing about the same thing also as a field officer. The other one is an officer with the library committee or the health information committee where the duty includes maintaining computerised library records and managing the search system just like how a librarian works but with I.T. knowledge.

Uhm, my decisions?

Actually I did decide at first that there is a high possibility that I may look out for an internal posting. Honestly, internal posting is not easy to get but when we got the offer to work for the library, and even though I hardly step into it (err...two years ago?) and didnt seem 'attractive' enough, I decided to stick to the game plan as my only thought tha time was I did not want to do field screening anymore because it was tiring to think about my daily travelling expenses and then being reimbursed very the late. I would go crazy checking my account daily waiting for that 'pot of gold' and it would be a sad affair seeing my depressing account balance. EVERYDAY. Every stinkin' day.

Back to this, I decided to keep my options open. I applied for both and I got the interview date for the internal posting. The interview date for the ST Log has not been given yet but come one or two weeks later, it will be known to me. NOt all of us applied for that position and I would understand lah why they didnt want to take up their job offer because basically it was gonna be about the same thing which is health screening. If they're vying for the internal posting, okay at least they thought of their future and that they want to stay employable.

But, if they just want to take the money and go, I think it will be stupid of them (forgive my harsh word) to do so. Why? First and foremost, the job market is unpredictable and even though it has been improving and a lot of opportunities are made known, our specialized..and often unrecognised skill.....will put us at a disadvantage. Even if we're not looking for a similar job scope, it will be be hard because most employers will look into our career history. Im not saying that it is wrong for them to look for a new one but seriously, for me I think they should put their biasedness aside and use this job opportunity that is given to us on a plate, as a backing. At least job security is there and with this security, then I think it will be best for them to look for a new one. To merely depend on the payout, honestly how long can it last and securing a job is just as important too.

Of course, there are setbacks and I didnt exactly make a wise decision at first too. Tell you more later.

Comments

Popular Posts