Swopped Around

Im reading a book by Nicholas Sparks called A Walk to Remember borrowed from a colleague of mine coz I've been wanting to read it for so long but never got round to getting the book. Let's just say..Im not really into buying of books so when I got to know she had it, well....the rest is history. Now Im not really a voracious reader even though I wouldnt mind reading through a book but half way through I will find it a drag. I watched the movie before and I just felt like going straight into the middle where the juice of the story is and get it over and done with. But the novelty of it will be lost and I would not get to know the characters better which the movie merely skimmed through although knowing me, I'd rather you give me the gist of the character and I will be easily contented already. Im also not the type who would actually bother to read through from the start to find out what happen in the end. I have no qualms going through the back of the page to see what happened actually and then going back to the starting and reading it as though I wouldnt know what will happen in the end.


Okay...so you can probably tell I got no patience for books and if the book is very thick, I would say boring level will be no 8 on the scale of 1 to 10 and Im just being nice.


Anyway, enough about books.


Just now I covered another cluster after they swopped me around and there I was...ended up at one of the schools I hated most at east coast road. It brought back memories back before this cluster shit..meeting up with the other teams..and then taking the bus no 12 from this one bus stop along the road all the way back to office while drinking our bubble tea bought from the foot of the building near the overhead bridge.


This time I was not working with the usual ex member that Im close with but a new girl. She's alright...very hardworking and very systematic which puzzled me as to why her leader whom I'm covering for was so paranoid that she kept calling me to drop her gentle reminders about certain things. SHe called me in the morning la...during my lunch la...my break ah..and then after screening la...which later I kinda screamed at her in non violent way saying 'NOW WHAT?!' Apparently her last reminder was to ask if she had remembered to download the school for tomorrow last week coz she was away on mc and worried if the girl forgot or what. And by the way, did you know where she make the call? In the toilet!! It's like she suddenly remembered and there and then just HAD to make the call...but she is actually my very good friend cum my step mother at work so we're actually on good terms.


I got to know her better coz all the while I only saw her in the office and thought of her as hardworking and err..as guilty as I may sound...quite 'slow' which equates to being inefficient coz after 5pm she was still doing work at her laptop. But then again she's newer compared to me so it takes time for her to get round it and perhaps do some short cuts here and there and prioritise better such as spending lesser time on unimportant things and just cut to the chase. But it takes experience to speed up the work process and with a worry wart as a leader, well good luck man..haha..


Oh by the way, we waited for two freaking hours for the driver to come by! This being another cluster, it was not D and it was things like this that made me realise that as annoying as D is at times, he's actually quite a good planner and thinks in advance but not just to his convenience but to ours also so he's hardly late for pick up. Even if he is late, he is usually held up by the other team who are still doing work even though he has arrived or he will be coming from the other end of Singapore. If the latter is the case, he will usually call or message in advance and do some priority planning even though with my team, he kinda always expect to pick up mine first so the annoyance come from his so called motivation that I can finish within a certain a time period given by him..what the hell.


But from how this particular driver works, it's totally different and it doesnt matter if you're the first one to call lah or the the last one to call lah, which one he is nearby first he will go first. This team followed by another team all along one straight route instead of jumping from this team to another team or making a U turn just coz this team called first and then proceed back along the route. All coz he wants to save petrol.


WHen I heard that waiting for him for almost two hours is a norm, my jaw almost dropped. But at the same time they pity him in the sense that he is scrimping on money because he has to take care of two one year plus twin daughters. Then to them he is also a nice man after knowing that his wife is deaf and dumb which to them is pretty unusual although one of them was being cynical by saying that she saw the photo and she was like..okay she's pretty no wonder he didnt mind..haha. But still, two hours?!! Yes I know your tyre exploded at about 2pm but when I heard him telling that new girl he went all the way to Jurong to get his tyre fixed at a workshop, Im like surely there are other nearby places?!!! This is bad planning to the..er..B!


Sorry lah maybe coz Im not used to his working method being under D for so long of whom I was planning to just ignore him if he messaged tomorrow to ask if I could finish at a certain time. After today, I dont think so lah coz after all there is nothing wrong if we can wrap up earlier although this still depends coz as much as I do want to get it over and done with quickly, I cant hurry up the work process and then make plenty of mistakes along the way so it all depends. But whatever timing I give him (after ignoring his pleas) is usually spot on in the sense it is really the actual timing everything is all ready for his collection except for some minor last minute stuffs like handing over of the assessments as well as retrieving back the feedback form. At least the bulk of the work is over.


To me right, it pays to be nice to others but it doesnt pay to be too nice that everything is delayed and the person is allowed to escape with little excuse. I may also fall into the category of being too nice to people but when it comes to work, I take on a different personality. Sometimes my real personality will seep through and I can be quite flexible but if it comes to protecting my team's integrity especially when I feel that we're being pushed around or treated like we're right below them, I can be rather firm. For all I know this is a free service and we're not their slaves to work us like dogs.


So yah like I said I have to be nice to D..and this is the second time in a row already! SO I made a new friend..okay so called friend just now..and it is my mistake in judging her too quickly. I think the rest of us too who thought she is very unfriendly. But still nothing beats my ex partner from last month who also came about the same time as her. We both share the same psychotic genes..

Comments

Popular Posts