RSS Feed

Hi!!

In today's edition of Geek Speak, I shall give you a small insight on what the heck is RSS feed. Basically, RSS feed means Really Simply Syndicate, which is actually a web feed or news feed that internet users subcribe to in order to be updated about the latest contents from the websites, blogs or podcasts.

Let's use my blog for example. If you notice at the sidebar, I have this orange looking icon:

RSS icon

It's actually the universal icon for RSS feed.


Once you click on the icon, it will prompt you on which feed reader, technically called an aggregator, you wish to use in order to be updated about the content you subscribe to. RSS feed consists of the summaries of the blog content, which are basically web links, and whenever the blog is updated, a new link will appear on top of the other existing web links.

Examples of aggregators or feed readers are feedburners and FeedDemon. Web browsers also allow subsribers to read the web feed from the toolbar. Let's say you are using web browser Mozilla (like myself) where at the end of the address bar there is the orange icon as above. Just click on that icon and it will lead you to the page where you have the option to choose which applications to use. I use the Live Bookmarks which is right on top of the other applications and then it will create a link below the toolbar (where the home, back buttons and the address bars are located). To me it's easier since, duh, I use a web browser to surf the internet and then I just click on the link of the blog I subscribe such as Perez Hilton to see what latest gossips contents he has posted.

Actually, the only way you can understand the whole process above is to click on the RSS icon on my blog's side bar (cheap publicity) and you will know what I mean.

But if you want 'professional geek speak', here's the wiki for this:

Wiki for RSS

Comments

Popular Posts