Role Reversals

Okay...right after that pretty painful summary of my week, I will try my best with this back to back entry with some highlights in my life this week teetering between 'huh?!' and 'yay!'. Yup, I met nats after SOoOooo damn long (wow..thats a year man!) and of course, my good ol' buddy Mariah. I was so excited about it even though I was not that excited about the movie..and still not quite after watching it..but thats besides the point. I think it is just wholly great to be out goofing with your friends making you realise that hey, life isn't all that bad if you know just when to relax and simply chill out. Of course after that it is back to the 'welcome to my complicated life' routine but hey...a quick getaway wouldn't be so bad.


Well, actually I dont really like to give full details but hey...a quick summary wont kill..haha! Nats looks great as usual and still lame! After so long of not meeting each other, I thought it would be rather awkward but with nats, you can never be awkward! Ok, I was more concerned about my hair since it got rather flat out later coz I felt so ultra conscious about it that day and had an obssession over touching it again and again. Dunno why...but still, when I was with Nats later, it didn't feel that I had to look perfect in every part because she's really non judgmental. Heck, that girl doesnt ever wear makeup and she stays true in that. How many girls do you know that can step out..in oRchard road some more..sans make up?! She doesnt even need to look all dressed up and can be so totally cool about you and about herself...with such air of confidence.


It was great catching up with her as we sat somewhere outside the building near Starbucks and California Fitness. She was in a bit of dilemma as to what to do with the extra ticket because Sheep had to cancel the appointment last minute. She told me who to call and I was thinking that we got like half an hour only so the best thing to do was jut to hook up with any stranger..a good looking guy rather..heh...to watch with us. But she was thinking in the line of a good looking young male tourist and hoping for me to 'catch' one for her. Then I said I cant help coz im 'off' men. Of course she gave me this staring incident like..'what..rahayu..doesnt LIKE men?!'


I know..that sounds unbelievable for someone who loves checking out men in public display but I didn't get a chance to write this but yah, I figured out that Ive been checking out the wrong kinds of men. The kinds of men that dont quite deserve that 'second look' from me but I still will somehow look coz they're still...men to me. I mean..come on! I only deserve to look at the best and not just because they happened to be young men! Im not some despo here, hello..even though Im not a looker myself or facing a deadline to find a boyfriend quick.

But trust Nats to make that so called decision of mine to purify my mind and had to engage me to look at men even if they were non existent like..'check out the guy in the red shirt'..and I'd be looking and say 'where?' and she'd laugh saying 'haha..shouldnt have told me that coz Im gonna play around with that. I thought you didnt want to look at men?' Dammit. Been duped. Over and over again. Apparently we were also in the middle of a hot zone a.k.a Orchard Road a.k.a Temptation Island! And we're besides the California Fitness..for gawd's sake...men with..err..cute..defined biceps..kept on walking past us and I was begging nats to just go somewhere else..but..she's evil I tell you when she refused to move. Evil!


Okay..ahem..anyway, it didnt improve along the way as there were more good looking guys prowling around there that bloody well deserved a second look so I was almost dying there. Nats constant taunting didnt help either. SO we caught with aznur later who arrived later but reached outside the movie theater quicker than us coz we were practically moving through mazes.hrmph..Well we caught the movie in time just as it started and the movie was okay. It was at some point rather touching..and no Mariah..I was not crying. I was just wiping my specs. But I would admit the last part got me a bit when all the four members including the one who got 'ousted' initially got together and how Curtis realised that he had a daughter all the while. The daughter who was taught that she had no father and was deeply touched by her mother's performance in the end along with her best buds whom she started with. It was like going in full circle.


Anyway, the singing was great and Jennifer Hudson did truly shine in her performances and man...she deserved the awards. Not bad for a first timer. Beyonce? Her singing was just as great and flawless but her acting? Wah piang....cannot say the same.


But like Nats said, in the movie..there was no one good or bad person. I think that was what she said...implying that a good person can end up a bad person. The movie did great in a way it showed what the entertainment business was like behind the glitz and glam and the legend it brought forward till today. All this was because of the hard work and dedication including the prejudice that the black people faced back then in the music industry dominated by the white people. In order to survive in this business, people were willing to do anything...ANYTHING....to get to the top of the charts even if it meant having to compromise your loved ones or to use your loved ones as 'products' to roll in the cash.


Still the movie ended on a good note. The Dreamgirls proved to chicks like us (well it was still a chick flick no matter what..) that all the wealth and the fame that they had would be nothing without the people who were there for them from the very beginning. Touching indeed.


Well, after that...we had a lot of fun together just yakking away with Nats occasional singing which almost made the taxi infront us to have an accident. Possibly was 'mesmerized' by her singing of uhm..one miserable line! Yup, it only took a line for her to be a traffic stopper..haha..And halfway through, I kinda influenced my two best buds to err..look at guys in a different light. But you all got it the wrong way! I was not teaching you all to decipher the sexual orientation of various guys along ORchard Road especially those walking in twos or threes. Im just trying to tell you that the gay dramas that I have been watching are sweet and sentimental in the sense that they do teach us a thing or two about lessons in love that us straight ones may even take for granted. Because theirs is more like a forbidden love making their bond even stronger but generally seen in society to be people to 'hump' on anybody who are in the same line as them.


But Noooo....these friends of mine had a heck of a lot of fun pointing out the gay ones..including the you know..obvious sorts..and we would go 'yup, definitely gay'. Alright..so Im guilty too! And I wont do it again. I think.


Anyway, if you're looking for an alternate kind of drama and open minded enough, think you should check out the show called Queer as Folk the US version. Although it didnt strive to show completely the lifestyles of these people, it showed some things that will put Desperate Housewives and Lost to shame though. They are real. They do exist unlike in a street lived by a few sexy attractive women who are often out on sexual prowl just as long as the guy doesnt wear a shirt outside their windows. How LIKELY is that?


When I read the reviews, I was amazed at the number of people who were sceptics at first but turned converts after one or two episodes. But nope, no Gucci or Jimmy Choo here unlike Sex and the City. Just plain ol' folks of all kinds including the straight ones too..as they deal with issues such as love, friendship, family ties and coming to terms with death, lost of true love...health issues. Towards the end of the series after 5 years, things took a dramatic change although they still pretty much maintained what they began with. The things that changed were their beliefs which took a reversal of roles later on no matter how much they refused to budge from them after so many years. It took them one bad event after another for them to finally realise that they need to open their minds and see a greater picture while keeping their egos in check. See even these self declared queer people may not be that open after all..so what about us? Heck, it's just like that Dreamgirls movie too lah! Dont let that sweet innocent face fool you.


And why the heck am I still awake too...see..u also need to open ur mind that doesnt mean it is 3 freaking am in the morning now that I need to jolly well sleep. Im trying to psycho u here.

Comments

Popular Posts