Fitness 101: Cross Trainers

If you're new to my blog I'm aiming to turn this blog into an all rounder, basically to help girls like me achieve certain things in life by sharing tidbits on useful knowledge that will benefit them for the rest of their lives. Okay, I know that sounds a bit far fetched but you know what they say, a little goes a long way.


Though I pretty much want to look more toned and lean, I'm also genetically born to be curvy. And being curvy, there is this huge tendency for girls like me to easily gain weight and then deposit the fats around the hips, thighs and butt area. I learnt that the trick is to build these parts into muscles so less fats will deposit in them.


My waistline used to be 38 inches and I always have to wear men's jeans because of my problem areas. I've got big hips and I don't think in future, I will ever lose the big hips but at the very least, I don't want them to grow any bigger but shapelier.


One of the machines that I swear by is the elliptical trainer or cross trainer. It's also a popular machine too and I hate it when the hoarders  just can't seem to stop using them and deprive others of using. But most of the time, I do manage to use it. I have introduced this machine before as one of the 'must do' if you are training at the gym to lose weight or to basically increase your fitness level.


Elliptical trainers provide a good cardio workout and even ten minutes into using it can tire you out and will test your mental strength to continue fighting against fatigue and complete at least twenty minutes of it. But maybe it's just me, haha. I swear by it too coz when I used it regularly in the past for at least twice a week in the beginning when I was trying to shed weight, I did lose quite a lot and my arms were more toned looking coz the one that I was on in the gym of my former workplace also worked on the arms. 


But I can't lie and will tell you flat out that it is tough and even harder in the beginning when you first try out that you may eventually not go on it again. Don't dismiss it too easily. You will only stand to gain the benefits and will be glad that you win over the mental fatigue to clock in at least twenty minutes on it. There are also others who may find it tough not coz it's pretty difficult but it needs some kind of leg power to get the pedals moving smoothly without it prompting you to stride faster (yes, it can be rathe demeaning at first). When it works both your arms and legs, you also need a good co-ordination. 


Not to worry too much though. Once you get the hang of it, getting on it will be much easier. As you progress, you may want to also increase the speed or vary the speed to maximize the benefits of a cardio workout.


Based on research findings, 


"An elliptical cross trainer is comparable to a treadmill in its exertion of leg muscles and the heart. Ellipticals produce an intermediate range of leg motion between that of stationary bikes and treadmills."

Source: Wikipedia


Besides varying the speed to shock your body system so that it will burn more fats, it can also strengthen your core muscles. Try letting go of the handles and swing your arms as you stride. However, be careful coz you may lose your balance.


Another benefit of the elliptical trainer is that it is low impact which means that they are easy on your joints, compared to running on concrete. If you are already running as part of your exercise, you can consider elliptical trainers so that in the long run, your joints will not be worn out from all the running and you don't suffer from aches and pain as you age.


For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the brand of the elliptical trainer that I use every week in the gym :S



By the way, I work out at one of the housing area ClubFitt gym in Singapore and for an adult, the no time limit entry fee is a mere $2.50. It's one of the affordable gyms which are found in many housing areas so you are sure to find one near to where you live.

To know more about ClubFitt gym, you can refer to this blog post regarding the Bishan ClubFitt gym:


http://lionellim.com/blog/bishan-clubfitt-gym-an-unexpected-find.html

I don't preach to people about health and fitness but it's good to have some knowledge so that you can make a more informed decision regarding your own health and fitness. Ultimately it's your choice on whether you want to be fitter. Losing weight is one of the benefits but increasing your fitness level is a better choice so that you protect yourself against common life threatening diseases.


Start taking charge of your life...stay healthy people!





follow me at http://twitter.com/rahayupopz

Comments

Popular Posts