Healthier 2011

A healthy breakfast is always a good start to a good day. It give you the energy to start you off. If you have a heavy and healthy breakfast, you don't even need to eat much during lunch and it will save up some calories. 


I recommend eating two pieces of wholemeal bread with your favourite spread but it gotta be just a layer of spread and not multiple layers even though the peanut butter looks good...haha. This year, I resolve to eat less bread and only stick to eating wholemeal bread for the morning breakfast. Lunch, I have decided to just eat oatmeal which I have been doing so for last week though later, we got invited to eat lunch provided by my workplace. Twice. Sigh, nevermind, I shall rewind the button for this week again.


If you can, avoid white bread. Though the naysayers may tell you that eating wholemeal bread is pretty much the same thing too coz it's basically carbs and it still has sugar, tell them back that hey, some good carbs is better than no carbs. Your body needs fuel and it comes from carbo. While they may argue that they lose a lot of weight because they stick to a no carbo diet, just say good for them but in the long run, they may find their body may slowly start to be less energetic and they may be prone to illnesses. 


Basically, there is good carbs and bad carbs. 

You can refer to this website for a list of good carbs


Good Carbs

Oatmeal is rich in fiber and can keep you full for a few hours though if you still have desire to snack, the best snacks would be nuts like almonds. Almond cookies do not count.


Nuts Nutrition Facts 


I tell ya upfront that I don't really like oatmeal coz it's plain and boring. But I got a container of mixed dried fruits and sliced almond and it taste fab with oatmeal coz it add that sweetness and crunch. I finished it with such glee coz it taste better, for once.







It's simple to prepare and healthier than when you buy those food served in the food centres which include soupy dishes coz they may just add MSG or monosodium glutamate for that extra taste as soupy dishes tend to be bland. While it's better than eating fried dishes or fried rice or noodles, you can still eat these soupy noodles but don't slurp the soup. One or two slurps is fine but leave the rest behind. Treat it the same as eating laksa, for instance, where the nutritionists will advice you to leave the gravy behind due the high saturated fat content from the coconut milk.

Other than this, I also resolve to eat less fried food though my mum may crave for some fried chicken like yesterday :S. On my own, I won't snack on fried favourites from Old Chang Kee for example. Make it a once a month treat just like how I do so with the tuna sandwich from Subway which isn't all that good coz of the mayo. 


So what I plan for my snack attack, especially after work, is to start packing nuts into a ziplock bag. It's easy to store inside my bag and if hungry, just pop them into my mouth while I go about doing my grocery shopping or waiting for the bus.


I hope my get healthy resolution will start well. That and the continuation of my food diary. 


To a healthier 2011!




follow me at http://twitter.com/rahayupopz

Comments

Popular Posts