Cheap Gym Alternatives

Sunday Times ran an article listing the addresses of gyms near homelands that are affordable and are hundreds of dollars cheaper than those exclusive mega gyms that charge more than $1K, and who keeps pestering their members to sign on to premium membership that costs even more than the basic membership. So there is really no excuse to NOT go to the gym especially if it's mere bus stops away from your house. Well, I have been going to the ClubFITT gym at Hougang (say hi! if you see me..especially on Sunday..coz that's the only day I go..haha) and I can't lie that I did lose some weight when I went there after putting on some the previous year coz of bad eating habits. I can't lie that I still do have those habits but I try to keep them to a minimum and cut out unnecessary eating as much as I can especially this year, right before I turn 30.


Info extracted from Sunday Times (09.01.2011)


Where: 15 Sports & Recreation Centres islandwide
Membership fees: $310 for 12 months; per entry rates at $2.50 for adults and $1.50 for students and senior citizens
Includes: Use of fitness instructors, locker shelves and shower facilities
Hot spots: Tampines and Jurong West are two of the largest outlets and have new fitness equipment and unobstructed pool views. Tampines outlet also has a ladies' hour every Monday from 2 to 4pm. Jurong West has a ladies corner
Info: Go to www.ssc.gov.sg

There are more listings of affordable gyms but so far, this is like the cheapest. ClubFITT gyms can provide you with the basic fitness equipments like the cross trainer, treadmill, weights, rowing machine and stationery bikes, and you can rotate between them so that you will work out various muscle groups while burning the fats and building muscles.


If you feel shy the first time you are going there, I suggest you bring a friend or a family member along. Subsequently, get acquainted with the gym machines so that the next time, you can go alone and know how to use them. If not, there are always fitness instructors stationed there to help you and they are really friendly coz I have seen them help out those who were there for the first time and did not know how to start the machines.


Ultimately, you are responsible for your actions and you should really just go in there, with thick skin, and just get on the machines. If you feel that you are on the heavy side and that they will laugh at you making an attempt to jog on the treadmill, just ignore them coz chances are, they won't. They will just be too busy tracking their own progress and nudging their friends on. They will not judge you. 


You can even make new friends. So far, after more than a year I haven't made any friends though I suppose they know who I am coz some do give me the look like 'oh hey, you are here' but not really acknowledging me. I just have the stuck up look lah, hehe.



There is really no better time than now to jump start your fitness programme since it's the beginning of the year. If you can have a balanced diet, coupled with exercise routines which you try to incorporate in your daily lives, such as walking or climbing up stairs, you will lose the annoying extra weight in no time. It's a matter of discipline coz really, if you want it so badly, you just have to do something about it instead of just wishing or hoping that one fine day, you will be able to fit into a size M or even a size S.



Here's to good health!

follow me at http://twitter.com/rahayupopz

Comments

Popular Posts