Working with a Perfectionist

Would you believe I tried to blog for the THIRD TIME regarding the same topic?! The first time was on my ipod touch, which is on loan by the way by the kind hearted technical assistant in my work place,  and I used my gmail account. For the love of me, I have no idea where the heck the draft went to when I went to my actual gmail account to retrieve the draft :S


Anyway, I suppose it's still lurking somewhere. I was just talking about how perfectionist my colleague is who is about the same age as me. I would say she is on quite the extreme edge when it comes to being a perfectionist for a Virgo. I am also a Virgo but Im that much of a perfectionist, well...except for certain mundane things, hehe. She was told to print my principal's signature on more than 300 copies of certs which she was also asked to enlist my help but she refused coz she figured she could do it by herself. But by then she was struggling and it wasn't due to the stamping of his signature. It was due to the fact that she had to walk up and down to the staff toilet with the two of the certs to air dry it under the hand dryer so that the ink won't smudge. Yes it was an innovative idea.....and also a waste of time. I mean we were sitting in an air con room so as you arrange the certs while you stamp, it will dry up. But she thought of going in and out the staff toilet so that it will dry faster. So you can imagine that I went in and out the staff toilet to finally help her out when she could no longer do that as it was too taxing for her to do it alone.

But I can't contribute much and she's the type who is not really open to ideas coz there's always something that she finds at fault with the ideas. Then there are some things that she does which are not necessary but she does it anyway and then the more critical things, like keeping track of when she gives the invoices for them to write the payment vouchers, she doesn't quite do. To her, it's like I give you and it's your responsibility to give me back on time. But with every one of them so busy teaching, do you think they will keep track? As she is the one doing the payment and then if she doesn't pay on time, the vendors will hound her, and she has to go back to the people she gave the invoices too. 


So I suppose she should have the system of where she keeps track of the invoices she has given out instead of just keeping track of those she has paid. But she's not really that open to ideas coz according to her, she is systematic enough. 


Anyway, that is her prerogative. But then other people are also affected since at times the payment vouchers are usually passed around for verification and other admin matters. I also offered suggestions pertaining to something else which I have also taken over from her bit by bit but yah, she shoot them down also. I mean seriously, what is the harm of trying them out? She did say that it is good to offer suggestions if they are going to make us work efficient.


I know she has worked there for a number of years but you know, some things just need to be changed especially when I don't like to do things that are just too lengthy coz it just bores me out. I hope she does change her attitude a bit and be more open to ideas and suggestions and not just stick to her 'age old' ideas. It's also for the benefit of all.





follow me at http://twitter.com/rahayupopz

Comments

Popular Posts