Food Critic

I dislike going out late at 11 plus to buy groceries but at times ive got no choice but to go coz my mum asked me too. Apparently my safety is not a concern to her. I know she thinks life is unpredictable but uhm...why go look for trouble. Ok fine, Im being all drama mama and it's not so freaking late and people are still up and about. But well, I get scared too. Grandmas can be molested, what more a twenty something girl like me, right?


Sigh, what to do. This is called living with a neurotic mum. Sometimes, though Im not asking for it, a little appreciation goes a long way. My brother and I endured a long bus journey, times two, to Lau pa sat, a popular food centre in the city area just to buy satay for her. It's basically scewered pieces of meat barebequed over hot flames. She kept complaining about the dismal taste and why my brother didn't buy the ones from serangoon garden coz they were a heck lot nicer.


See, my brother was tired after school followed by project where he stayed back to help his schoolmate. It was good enough he peeled himself off from the comforting sofa at home to buy other food which was nearby but she kept harping on eating satay.


So obviously she called me and she was complaining. She said it was hard for him to go to serangoon garden coz it was quite a long walk to the food centre itself. Then when I was half hearted in getting satay for her, she just hung up. I didn't want the same episode to happen where she was making such a huge ruckus when I told her I was scared to go there myself. The people there resort to hard selling and being rather shy in nature, it was pretty intimidating for me. After that, she treated me like sh*t as if she totally hated me.


But what to do. I had to miss two tv programmmes just to make her happy and the appreciation we got was....nothing. Anyway, she finally got her wish when my brother and I went to Serangoon Garden to get her satay which she said was a lot better than the ones at Lau Pa Sat. So imagine that. I ate satay twice in a week. Gawd I hope the 2kg weight gain I had was due to water retention (since I have been going to the loo often these past few days) and not coz of the food I have been eating.


On the other hand, my mum has been cooking. Simple stuffs but anything for us as long as she cooks it and knowing that she has two fussy eaters as children (hehe..). I would say that I enjoy eating her cooked food not just because she seldom cooks but also because it is healthier than those at the food centers. She doesn't use a lot of oil but just mere drops so they won't stick to each other and she uses the oven instead of traditionally using the stove. There is no msg or monosodium glutamate if you want to be all scientific about it and though I can't deny that food cooked this way tastes better, it's called artificial flavour enhancers. I notice that many snacks like potato chips uses that so if you are a frequent snacker, perhaps you should cut down on them since too much salt isnt good for anyone's diet. Of course it's a huge bummer. But I don't want to spend my off days visiting the doctors though. So it's a choice, I suppose? My brother said that all this while, they have been using MSG but don't really put it down as one of the listed ingredients. So now I know that when they say flavour enhancers, they really meant MSG. What the hey.


I think I'll stick to chocolates, dark ones preferably to counter my sweet tooth. Now I wonder for this week, if my mum will also stick to her plan of making nasi briyani. You know I don't eat a lot of food nowadays not coz I don't like but I just don't eat them anymore and nasi briyani is one of them since they're sinful as ghee or clarified butter is used to cook them and it is high in trans fat. But it's served at malay weddings which is probably the only time I eat them and thankfully, I don't often get invitations.


Her version is  probably the healthier version as well, if not she knows I will refuse to eat them. But her modified version often taste good, I don't know why. Cooking with love, perhaps? As long as we don't criticise her cooking, all will be fine. Her only critic is herself. I'll give the verdict later, eh? With pictures as well..haha.


follow me at http://twitter.com/rahayupopz

Comments

Popular Posts