Server Crash

Warning: ***Geek Talk!!!***


And it's on!!!

wah, I am so glad that my weekend is not going to be bleak after all after one and a half days without internet..no thanks to a server of a certain subscriber. I was there..surfing the internet on Thursday night, minding my own business, when suddenly I was greeted with the message 'Server down' and I thought..gawd..dont tell me they cut off my internet connection!!! But the funny thing was that it was an odd timing..around 9 plus at night....and the cable tv was still playing so I was thinking..maybe it was the power socket or the wires came a bit loose or something. But I tried as I might to revive the internet (sounds like some ER operation) and nothing! So I slept hoping that it was just a nightmare. No Im not being dramatic. It really was!

But unfortunately, morning was still no go so I suspected could be due to the heavy rain and a minor earthquake in Eastern Indonesia. The thing was, the internet at work was working fine and starhub was uncontactable which gave me clue that they were swamped by calls from people having the same fate as me. I read the internet forums and they were flooded by people saying that starhub's server was down and they tried a rival provider's dns addresses and it worked! Of course it sounded greek to me but, for the sake of humanity..uhm..okay...saving my home internet, I had to understand them and good thing it didnt take me long.

But the series of weird numbers could not save my internet last night so I kinda gave up and hoped for the best in the morning. I woke up to try my internet again at 7 plus am in the morning (no thanks to an sms too) and still upset that I didnt manage to surf net yet. But! I eventually got it in less than an hour thanks to a manual that I kept for years and I found out what the problem could be through the command prompt and then it worked!

YAHOO!!!

Actually, I did try to do what the book said yesterday but I guess at that time, the server was still down or something so it didnt work. Or maybe I missed a step. Uhm, actually I wasnt using the original server address supplied by starhub coz I kinda screwed up a bit the other time so I had to manually configure a new address in order to connect to the internet. And now, ironically, I am using starhub's auto config dns server address again after two years.

Anyway, it doesnt make any difference what address I use. They cut..means..they cut if you dont pay..haha..

So the moral of the story is? No not change subscriber...although..it's a possibility. It is wise to keep manuals so that in future, if anything happen, you can always refer back to them because I think most of us rely on the technicians to fix them up for us and when it is done, we only need to surf. But things happen. And these manuals are often easy to follow through with pictures and simple guidelines which make u do away with technical help. And uhm...make u tear out less hair.

Oh, and also read internet forums. You dont actually have to join them but if you need to ask questions, you can just subscribe and start posting questions and there are always people there to help you pinpoint what your problem could be.

Have a great weekend! I know I will!! :D

post signature

Comments

Popular Posts