Tech Tuesdays

So while Mariah has her book review, I have my..er..tech review every Tuesday since I read digital life every Tuesday. I expect her to be on auto sleep mode already by now. I try to sound as layman-ish as I can so this is more like a personal review.


I must admit...when it comes to mobile technology..a.k.a..handphone technology...I can safely say Im a mobile idiot. Why? Things that offer the world in your hands in a compact device such as email on the go cost a heck lot so basically im not interested. But! If you're willing to fork out an exorbitant amount of money for this kind of push technology, it is something that is worth a try. Okay if I were to choose my dream mobile phone, it will be the one with the qwerty keyboard like the blackberry. I know that is getting more and more affordable but you know Singaporeans, if you carry things like that around, they will get this picture that wow...you're rich. I hardly take my pda out because it will draw stares and then furthermore, it doesnt suit my image.


But then judging from the ever changing evolution of phones into better smartass devices, pda is so backdated. Pda phone is somewhat the in thing but because of the many technical glitches, people are reverting back into phones that are fast becoming more 'intelligent' such as the touch screen phones and with the new 3.5G technology, it promises faster downloads and web browsing. Wah and they call me indecisive....


I know technology is never constant but I feel that in Singapore, we're more into the experimental stage with ideas taken from Japan who is in the forefront when it comes to mobile technology. (im beginning to sound like a writer for some i.t. magazine..) Like hello, their phones act as a 'wallet' for them k? They use it to pass through train gantries even..how cool is that? But thats the same country where their instant noodles cost as much as a real meal and their suicide rate is damn high.

Sometimes when I read stuffs like digital life magazines, it's a waste of time except the pc troubleshooting part. But I kinda share the same sceptism as the freelance writers that hey, we're still at the bottom rung of the ladder but only the pros are being presented to the consumers and not the cons. Yah lah they want to make money so why risk it by telling us the cons so it's up to us to go find out about it ourselves. Before signing up. So dont be an idiot and just get eaten up by their words.

Now for cable tv, I have to pay a bit more than usual because they said that they have been 'good' to us by absorbing most of the fees and they can no longer take the strain so have to pass the costs to the costumers. It's just four dollars more but I cant imagine taking additional channels and then bearing the huge costs later. Like what..I dont have to eat but just watch tv only? Can you imagine they drop the bomb soon after they introduce stuffs like digital cable or hdtv (which is a norm in America like yonks ago). Lucky I stick to the same ol' basic plan.


But I must admit, the usual critics of technology in Singapore, are lauding the multi usage of broadband technology offered by a single set box? You can surf, watch tv and talk. Fantastic eh? Except when that thing breaks down, then hello hermit life. They are also trying to make it cheaper so that eventually most household carry a broadband service.


heh..cheaper...sure or not..

Singapore so small are you sure they are going to recover back all the millions of dollars they spent just to perfect the art of squeezing a heck lot out of broadbrand service?


Yeah cheap for now...then later become another classic story such as the stunt they pull on us...saying we have it easy all this while..so have to pay more now. Wah piang..

Comments

Popular Posts