Closet I.T. GeeK

*Gasping* What a day!! Okay, so I came across a few self help motivational books at a Popular bookshop last friday..i mean seriously, the bookshop is named that way (unless u want to associate the name to yours truly..like im 'rahayuthePOPULAR'..k..*fine*). So, you know how i liked to yak recently about not wanting to idle my time away infront of the pc although ironically, something else happened.


Okay, what the motivational books taught me (at least from reading its coverpages and the backpages..hehe...) that time is money...time mz be well managed....in order to make the best use of time to either make money or to accomplish more things in life. Of coz, initially..I was interested in the idea of making money to become a millionaire but once I started to refocus (after a few distractions from other books as well..like why men have nipples), but then, I thought to myself what exactly do i want to achieve out of my life.


The more I think, the more things I felt that I wanted to do but never really got round to it. I would be so freakin' enthusiastic about it only to slack a whole lot and then two months later like uhm..from april to now june..I would suddenly recall back that I was SUPPOSED to do something. However, my fren kinda indirectly helped to jolt me out of my laziness to finally start making good use of my time rather than to just blog and blog away while surfing for pictures of Jonathan Rhys-Meyer...(Cant help it..he's cute!). Ok, so my passion over web design got reignited a bit and soon, I found that after returning from accompanying my bro for his haircut, I felt compelled to look thru tutorials on photoshop. I had been saving the web pages under my fav but never really got round to practising many of them. As I was browsing thru the 'favourites' under my internet explorer, I suddenly recalled that I had this filing system in my room where I categorise files under different interests of mine. However, the first time I started this system, was also the last time I ever touched the files..haha...And then, as I was looking thru' my cabinet, I realised too that I still had this huge stack of Digital Life magazines which I have been collecting faithfully for so long specifically for its good number of useful articles. This also explains on why I only buy Straits Times on Tuesdays. That is the day when they distribute this magazine insert for free with the papers. I mean..come on..the papers only cost 80cents and then, if you subscribe to I.T. magz..mind you, they're more than 6 freakin' bucks. I can use that money for other purposeful things like uhm..buy more than one magz...with maybe a free tote thrown in as well.


Then that friday also, I found back my palm which was hiding underneath a stack of fresh A4 papers. It's just one of those things that I acquired...initially tried to dabble a bit with it..forget its existence...had a memory recall about forgetting something..and wham! OH YAH...I HAVE a palm! Believe me, with the exception of my computer since it's impossible to hide it, every other things will go thru' this strange habit of mine.


Although my Palm is relatively new like less than a year, it doesnt have the capabilities of a modern convergence Palm which has Wi-Fi...3G...handphone functions..and what the hell have they. So no O2 mini whatsoever coz being a cheapo...the more ex the thing is, the more likely i forget that it exists coz most prob i would hardly touch it since it is so darn expensive. Don want to spoil it there! However, I have yet to reach that stage for it. Coz one thing about me, when it comes to buying things that cost quite costly, I would look at it at various angles besides its cost such as its practicality, the hidden costs that I may incur for acquiring additional softwares to run it and the kind of functions it has. K..more for the hidden costs. For e.g., to have internet running in say..a PDA..u do need a service provider and that requires you to pay a certain amt each month. Then certain softwares need you to purchase things like..extensions..for example..before they can work. I mean, if you're working for some big firm..meet clients often...have a lot of impt projects...tight deadlines to meet..maybe it's wiser to invest in something that may be a bit costly but covers all or most of ur needs in the most convenient and hassle-free ways.


For me, Im just happy that it helps me to organise my time better..and hence be more productive. It can also store photos from my pc or my handphone...store music on the SD card...and something that I think is pretty cool..and that is impromptu blogging. Of coz having internet connection will make things easier and even though my handphone has internet functions and thus able to send pictures or docs via email...I guess im more the 'go home then upload' type. As if people send me urgent emails..that I need to access immediately or my head will be rollin' on the floor for missing the important meeting. However, die die also..I still prefer the old fashioned notebook and pen kind of jotting down notes or to do lists. At least they dont have technical hiccups. Even with handphones..I try to be practical by trying to stick to its bare minimum like making and receiving calls as well as messaging people. I cant remember the last time I used its web browser although knowing that I can access internet is one heck of a cool thing already. However, like i said...good things dont come in cheap and before u know it, all these downloading and uploading of data can give u one big headache when the bill arrives. Already I seldom call people except maybe to call back my mum if I forget what to get at the supermarket, then when I had to make outgoing calls three or four times ds month, with each lasting less than half an hour...my bill went up to 70 dollars plus from its safe range of 40 plus to slightly over 50 plus. They were important outgoing calls coz I was updating my colleague as well as getting info from her regarding coverage duties.


Also, earlier this month, my dad was hospitalised so had to call his relatives and they will talk for awhile and of coz u dont tell them to call me back immediately jz coz my incoming calls are free (no matter how tempting that sounds). I know a huge chunk goes to messaging but it's something that is quick and avoidable and considered cheaper (which I realised after this 70 dollars plus shocker) and also...coz I have only 100 free SMSes free..Bleh. There is ALWAYS a trade off. However, I do try to cut down on my messages though being carried away is also a common practice..hehe...



Oh before i continue, I mz mention that I got this dreamweaver software for web designing (other than the easier microsoft frontpage..haiz..ok okaylah..will finally upgrade myself..) from my friend last year which I TOTALLY forgot abt. All this time, I kept thinking how unsucessful I am in acquiring a pirated copy of it WITHOUT wasting my money. Stupid..twice I had to pay for two cds whose softwares are actually trial versions which, by the way, have expired!


Today, I did the compilation of articles from the Digital Life papers..which was LONG LONG overdue...and looking at the stacks of it, I doubt I would finish it so soon even if I tried to cut them out rather quickly. I have read through some of the articles esp on those that catch my attention immediately while scheming thru' the rest. So more or less..I know what they're all about but they're useful for future references. YAH I KNOW..im a closet I.T. geek. But like I said, Im still an amateur in this field. Either that or I act like I dunno anything to avoid being taken advantage of..hehe...RIGHT, I admit that I am a cheapo but what baffles me is how a small co. of which one or two of their staffs are my friends or ex school mates for e.g want to escape from costs by trying to hire a close contact of a staff.


Come on...people are making money out of things that may seem rather easy but actually has a lot of things going on in the background...so give the person some credit for his or her long hours infront of the pc and loss of sleepin hours...I have been through this phase..or rather 'forced' to help in website construction for a month..not happy redo again..despite spending more than 6 hours on it previous nights. The company refused to co-operate by giving the details. However, they pinpoint EVERY single thing like they want a huge image overhaul..and guess what? In the end, they cancel the deal prematurely and I dont get a penny. I worked for so many hours on the damn thing..and was only promised 30 bucks..but still, I didnt get a single freakin' thing. But my friend spent more 'brain' time on the website working on its programming while I worked on its aesthetics and even went out of the way going to the company several times only to come home empty handed with no details whatsoever. I would be angry with her for dragging me in this mess but she was a victim too so I jz forget abt. However, I didnt want to accept any more assignments after that..(plus, i need to catch on my sleep too!).


I also have a friend whom Im not that close to but she's rather persistent in asking me to help her do some I.T. stuffs for her boss such as photo editing and website construction. I mean...okay..I can suggest several solutions but if I say..I am not sure..or my knowledge isn't deep enough to help in some widescale I.T. project like web maintenance...I mean it. I dont want to say ok..ok...and then if it doesnt turn out to be what they wanted due to my limited knowledge, then they dont want to pay me...it would be unfair to me too. However I asked for it. Look, as far as Im concerned, I have helped in ways that I can..and people's persistent requests and accusations that I actually know but I dont want to help them...I think they're wasting their time. Oh, and wasting My time too. Like I said, if they're being forceful coz I happened to provide them with a golden opportunity to seriously cut down on costs or totally not spend anything jz coz of this 'friendship ties'...then sorry. I mean, really...i'm not money minded and may not even want to accept payments or jz accept what they can pay me..Im not that fussy like how I helped two or three people design a personal page for them for free. but I just dont like it when they start saying mean things to me or expect me to just do it..whether or not I can..then I suggest they just 'take off' lah..seriously.


So that's why I prefer to term myself as a closet I.T. geek and not want to let anyone know how much I know certain stuffs. Like when it comes to softwares, sure I can help burn them a copy at no charge...but if like everytime, the same person always borrow my software when they can easily buy them themselves...and now to the extent of wanting to borrow my games which are NOT cheap by the way..then can take off also la. It has been such a common practice for her to just borrow softwares or even other stuffs from me, her messages sound like commands to me..such as 'tomorrow, dont forget to bring the microsoft office cd..thank you'. What the F**k? Think Im ur freakin' secretary is it. Gosh, cant believe last Thursday, she took a cab with little money in her wallet and then asked me to standby and prepare 20 bucks to help her pay first coz she forgot her card. I didnt know cabs accept nets. She didnt even ask how much I have first like whether is it enough to pay for the cab ride and whether or not I can offer the help. Please lah..u want to command people..go join the army.


GAH..feel so redundant talking about such irritants. Anyway, I was rather proud of myself today coz my time was well spent which included..sighz..doing this..all thanks to my newly found PDA. By the way, I have given it a new life by reinstalling the software for its hot sync functions..free game downloads..I mean...more organized life..here i come!



Digital Life copies


My Palmie..called 'offspring' by the way















Comments

Popular Posts