What about?

Sometimes it is easy to misunderstand someone..to make sweeping statements...to make assumptions from the way the person behaves and how he or she sounds. But often, whatever we thought out the person to be is exactly the opposite of what the person actually is. People like me don't usually bother about what people think of me. So what if they think that im kinda proud to talk to them but in actual fact, I am nervous as hell to talk to them. I guess after years of experience of being put down or to be misunderstood, over time you don't really care. Fine if they know the real me once they actually bothered to listen to me yak instead of just taking pity of me and hear me out for the sake of hearing me out. But im thankful if they bother to get to know me and then realise hey, this girl isn't what I thought she is...infact, im hooked on her! Okay i just added that last part.


So I would say that is how I assumed my step cousin to be. I have so many step cousins coz my late grandfather adopted quite a few kids being a religious teacher back then teaching these very kids who later became his adopted kids. My father? He is actually the only one carrying the real blood but as a kid and later teenager, he wasn't exactly a saint. So his parents kinda found joy in the rest of the kids..haha..Well, anyway this step cousin of mine who is male and two years older than me...I have not seen him for so freakin' long and like I care how he might have looked like or something. But that few days ago, prior to my dad's appt, his mum insisted on keeping her promise to ask her son to send my dad to have his haircut. I was like..gawd..do you have to...inside my head..coz seriously, the last thing i want is them interrupting our life. And im still not over the fact that she was making quitee a ruckus at the hospital. Apparently she was not happy with us not informing them about my dad's hospitalisation and how it was so difficult to get through to us and that i never topped up my dad's prepaid account.



It was not because I did not want to inform them but i was jz keeping to my dad's wishes on not to let anyone know coz it'd probably gonna take a few days. Ok fine..for me, his health matters most than anything else. But close to a week, my mum said it was best to inform them and so she did. Still, that woman not happy coz 6 days later then we told her. There she was worried sick over my dad's condition ever since the last hospitalisation. It wasn't because I didn't inform the other side of my dad's family at all. I did okay..to another of his younger sibling who called me twice and twice I informed him that my dad will be hospitalised on which date. I said that he was okay..and he was waiting to go through the second operation but he still insisted i inform his sister personally and that my dad make a call to them. Not my fault he didn't want to inform them personally even though he was asked to call us. The second time he called me I was like a bit pissed off whenever he made like a personal attack on me saying I wasn't being nice when I didn't inform my dad that he called. Bloodyfarkinghell..I did ok..dont piss me off when Im working by throwing off this accusation. It's not my fault too when my dad was too weak to make the call as he is also having some other medical problem. He didn't want to call as he'd rather sleep than tell them personally that he's doing okay. Man, I hate his family more.


Like I said, I was also kinda pissed when they didn't do anything and didn't know anything also about how I sacrificed my own leaves from work to accompany him through his appointments at the hospital. It saddens me really when people know how to talk only...and how 'bewildered' they seemed when I didnt send him to the hospital once coz I didn't manage to get leave. Ever since then, they were extra concerned like as if we didn't care about him when he missed his appt at the hospital and went to their house instead. Until now they keep thinking we...I..didn't give a damn.


So imagine how upset i felt when his sister called me last thursday saying that her son would be fetching my dad to go for his haircut. My dad already told her that I would be sending him to hospital for check up after taking half day off. Okay, so fine..go for the haircut then send him back and leave us alone. But later on, when I missed the bus to go back home (by that time I was fifteen minutes away from home already) and had taken e afternoon off from work, she called me again. She said that her son would be sending my dad back home and what time was the appointment and what time I would reach home. Im like..come on..give me a break..Im not in a good mood already for missing the bus and the next bus was already taking ages to come and was afraid I'd missed the appointment. I was like 'okay..okay..' all the way but infact, I wished that it would stop right there and I'll take it from here...meaning, sending my dad for his appt at the hospital. haiz..imagine my surprise, when my cousin called me and asked me how long I'd reach home. I said that maybe fifteen minutes time..then he asked me again if I need to change or something..so in my monotonous tone of voice..I said no...i just need to send food back home...then i'll send him to the hospital. Then he said okay...i'll wait for u downstairs and i fetch u to the hospital but bring along his things like his wallet and appt card coz he didn't bring anything with him. Okay, I started to panic..I was like..Im not gonna take his car! I definitely don't need his help in sending us to the hospital. man.....it started to suck big time!


So I thought he was waiting for so long already but apparently he had not reached yet and I had quickly went out again. I didn't want to call him coz I wasnt sure where he was downstairs with his..car...which I had no idea how it looked like. My mum asked me to call to ask for his whereabouts while I was begging for her to come along with me. Then, okay so I had no choice but to call him and thank goodness, my dad picked up and said he was on the way already. Right..........he made it sound like he freakinly reached already and I panicked for nothing. He was driving so he couldn't answer. Not as if I wanted to talk to him anyway.


Okay, so after a few misjudgments over the car..geez..imagine my stupidity for walking here and there coz I got the cars wrong whenever they turned in, he finally arrived. I recognised my dad..for obvious reason..when he was sitting infront. Then my cousin was in the driver's seat..yawns..and he was wearing something rather smart looking with his pair of blue shades..yawns again..and I went in the car. I noticed he was looking at me from his rearview mirror despite his eyes being all covered up with his shades. Then I said casually to my dad eh u cut your hair already..he said ahh..and my cousin said he looked handsome right? I just faked a smile without looking at him and saying well..quite lah. He asked me if I had eaten already and I said yah and then pretended to be busie by reorganising my bag. I guessed he got the hint I dont wish to be disturbed after that.


So it was silent all the way and my father didn't talk either. Okay, maybe my cousin didn't feel easy also but he was just carrying out his mother's wish to send my dad to the hospital. Just as I felt rather elated that we were reaching already suddenly he turned his car to the basement carpark..and I was like..damn! Don't tell me he is coming along?!!! Haiz....so he was looking for a parking space while I was out of my wits already...and oh, bored to death with the radio station playing the malay channel and at that time, they were just talking, talking and talking..I was so tempted to take out my mp3 player and just listen away but I didn't want to leave any impression on him that I am not an 'angel' like him listening to two boring people yakking over some serious topic on what..I have no idea..


But imagine my surprise when just as he was looking around for a parking space, he turned on his own cd which contained songs of profanities (that infamous f word) said in practically every line. I heard of the two songs before and I do like it but I was being rather emotionless like who gives a damn. Still, I was rather shocked as he knows my dad was still in the car and probably understood the meaning of it yet he still played such songs but I was assuming my cousin was OH SO religious like his mum and my dad's extended family. Still, that kinda changed a bit on my perception on him that he was just like any average guy.


When we went out of the car, I knew where to roughly go as his appt was at medical centre and arrows were showing where the lift to the centre was. He was clueless lah and he asked me where to go from here. I just said medical centre and we walked while I was looking out for my dad and he was doing the same thing too. Then while waiting for the lift, he asked me again if I had eaten and I said yes. Okay, im not surprised if he had no idea what to talk to me about..then he asked me what card was my dad using for his phone..starhub or singtel..I said singtel then I talked to my dad saying I didn't manage to get the top up card yet as it was often sold out.


He followed all the way to the clinic and kept asking me where to go..yawns..then I went in quickly first and registered him. He was with my dad and then when told of the room already he asked me which room and I said room 18 then he ushered my dad to the seats. I would usually sit in the other line of seats but then after my dad sat down, he said it's better to let him sit the other side coz it is nearer..and dont i think so too. I was like okay..like i bothered..and he helped my dad to usher to the seat. Then after we sat down, he said isn't it better here..like okay whatever..then he went out. I thought he was going back and I felt like wah.finally..but i remembered eh, he wouldn't just leave like that without informing my dad. So much for the anti climax. I called my mum and said that my step cousin followed all the way to the clinic. my mum was also surprised and said for what..I told her like as if I Know why..jz maybe the mum thought I don't know how to care for my dad. After my dad was called in for his eye check and then asked to go to another room, as we were walking, I didn't look out for him to tell him our whereabouts...I asked my dad if he wanted me to get soya bean drink as he had not eaten and was rather hungry. But he said it's okay..wait until everything is over. Then as I was talking to my mum again, he called me and asked where I was. haiz..so he was coming back..probably after smoking...I said outside room 18. Then just as I put the phone down, I realised he left me a message asking 'where are you' but all the while, he was talking to me in english with a smattering in Malay. Like again, I wouldn't expect him to talk to me in English..or it would have sounded too casual but apparently he did. So that surprised me again..


I didn't look out for him because I wasn't exactly sitting outside room 18 as there was not much space left to sit the both of us. But then I saw him standing behind from a distance and I just left him there. I mean if he wanted to find us, I don't think it was that hard and he'd probably spot us later. Then after awhile, he came back and I saw that he was carrying some sandwiches and a mineral water bottle and had it opened for my dad. He was passing the bottle to him and I wanted to move away from him and I was also on the phone with my colleague regarding work, and I told my dad that i want to go toilet. My cousin looked at me like as if he was thinking I was trying to avoid him. Uhm..he was half right about it.


Gawd..I can finally breathe again and I told my colleague that my step cousin was with us. She asked if my cousin was male or female and why I said step cousin. I told her about him briefly and I said I really have nothing to talk to him and he was being quite a bother. But she said don't say that and told me things that I can ask him about. I told her that his mother told him to take a day off to accompany my father like as if it was necessary. Of course my colleague was more excited that since he is just a 'step' cousin, then eh..we can still marry what..*vomits*...


When I came back after combing my hair and then buying soya bean for myself and a piece of pancake, I saw him cutting my dad's nails slowly to avoid attention. gawd..what was he trying to do? Okay fine..he was doing something 'good' but what is in there for him. Okay, whatever...he saw me and said he got me some bread to eat and I said no..and showed him my soyabean. He continued to cut while I sat beside him and I was tempted to sit infront instead but I didnt want to leave another impression I wanted to avoid him..coz I thought i left too many hints already..haha..Then my cousin tapped on me with a top card that cost twenty bucks and I took it as an insult like I couldnt afford to get the card myself. So I got my money out to pay him back but he didn't want to take it. I felt quite bad coz twenty bucks was quite a lot and some more, my dad is not HIS dad..and again, I thought why he even bothered to care for my dad. While he was cutting his nails, I found a spot near the window to eat my pancake and to drink the soya bean coz I didn't want to offer him coz like duh..I only bought one for myself. When I sat down back again he said to me that my dad was feeling cold..and i only remarked monotonously that yeah, he cant stand air con.


Okay, as usual..we had to wait quite awhile but I never tried to converse with him although he did make an effort or two to try to talk to me. I was on the phone on and off with either my mum or colleague. When the nurse called for my dad, he got her attention and then the nurse asked us to sit nearer to the room. So he helped my dad again to shift then when the nurse tried to verify my dad's name, I jz nodded my head but he was thinking if the spelling was correct. You see my dad's name is spelled in the not so usual way so I understood if he was thinking like that. Then we sat down again when my dad was given some eye drops. I continued to chat on the phone and I could see from my side view that he was on the phone too. I didn't message him back just now in regards to where we were sitting as he called me already right after that but I was wondering if he was waiting for my message or what. Then later, what seemed like an eternity, he came up to my dad and gave my dad ten dollars. He said that he needed to go and fetch his sister because she just called from his workplace. I felt quite bad lah coz apparently, he has a lazy elder sister who didn't live that far from home yet insisted he send her back and it would be quite a journey as from where we were, it wasn't that near to go to his sister's workplace which is at another hospital. Still, before he left, he looked at me and said that he had to go but without looking at him, I just nodded.


I know that throughout my entry, I didn't come across as friendly at all and may appear to be rather mean sounding. Look, I can't change overnight something I have moulded my mind into over the course of my life, especially when my mum and i are often at the brunt of their cold shoulders. I don't know what exactly is their motive...like why they were being extra nice to us...and okay, maybe they thought they have a right coz we're after all, family. But why at this point of time when my dad is sick and why not all this time when my dad took the trouble to visit their home every hari raya which is a day among family and friends..to ask for forgiveness..to tighten the relationship and so on and so forth? My dad hasn't been having medical problems only recently but infact for so many years already but after my grandfather passed away, suddenly they felt indebted to my family since my father is the tightest kin after my grandfather. I don't know if they felt bad too that they have used my grandfather's money saved over the years for their ownself as if since they had taken care of him in his last two years, they had the rights over his money. And is it because after they have squandered most of the money which, rightfully, should go to another relative of mine as she had taken care of him for a few years even though my grandfather wasn't her own grandfather. Then is it also because, when they have stopped liking them and when they were often scrutinised by my elder uncle and auntie over the money issues, my dad didnt create a din over it but chose to be quiet. He jz didn't want to be involved even though my grandfather was his own real dad.


I seriously dunno if they felt grateful to him that he didn't treat them any differently that they realised that even though we're not exactly related by blood, my father didn't make it an issue. I mean..whatever...I just don't want them to get involved in our matters and this isn't over them using up the money or anything. I just cant stand accusations that my mum isn't being filial to my father and she made her point saying that she cleaned up after her own husband because she didnt want to pay the hospital extra just for the nurses to help do that as she can do it for free. So, it's totally up to you to judge me as being too emotional or whatever. For me, as much as Im glad that they offered us a ride and that maybe I have misjudged my cousin to be like his dear ol' mummy...Im not about to renew our family relationships. Thanks but no thanks.


Comments

Popular Posts