My Money Rant

I had a craving for Sogurt brand yoghurt for some time already even though I had the rival brand Llao Llao pretty recently too, bought by my brother. I admit that the yoghurt is rather pricey, especially when they go by weight and as controlled as I was in squeezing out the yoghurt, as it was DIY, and then putting in controlled amounts of toppings, it still come out to be pretty expensive. I don't know how those other people, who defo put in more yoghurt and toppings can eat in peace while in my heart, I'm like gosh, how did it come out to that price?

However, if you ask me, it was er...worth it for what I got? But I wouldn't have it like a weekly treat but a monthly treat. It would have been a killer in my wallet if I have it too often.

You know just now in my wallet, I had $70 and then now I'm left with $12. The lunch and the yoghurt that I had just now, easily cost me $10.00 and that's for my own only. After that, groceries..okay, this one can't escape and I also bought a magazine for $3.50 because it was their 21st birthday and they had plenty of giveaways for this issue. Just so you know, I seldom buy magazines nowadays even though my favourite magazine was only $3.50 compared to the other names. It's also my mum's birthday so I can't come home empty handed so what I got was some food which came up to $23.00. Since it didn't come with a drink, and she wanted to drink something ice-y, I got for her a bubble tea that cost $3.00.

Probably you're thinking, why am I telling you all this. Except for the fact that it was my mum's birthday and also I had this craving for frozen yoghurt, I wouldn't spend this much in a day. Close maybe, but not the point I'm left with money that is probably going to be used to top up my ez link card for travel.

A frugal family would probably just cook a simple birthday meal and buy a small yoghurt tub from the supermarket. But it's my mum's birthday and I can't tell her to cook the meal. And I didn't have the yoghurt for some time already so it's justified. Even though admittedly I was pretty bummed at how much I had left, it left me thinking how other families cope when things are so expensive. And how some other families can afford to eat out quite often and buy groceries that cross that $50 mark even. But I can't judge. For all I know, that amount of $100 over they spent on groceries, would have been for their monthly or weekly expenditures depending on how big their family is. And the families I see in the restaurant eating, it could just be a monthly family bonding thing for them too to celebrate an occasion or just because they had received their salary and what better than to treat the family after a month of hard work.

So we can't judge. But I still think that it's also important to spend within our means and to not spend it for now only because we still need money in the future. I often hear people saying that well, I spent most of my salary already this week. So I'm not going to spend for the whole of two weeks. Erm, hate to break this to you but you still need moolah to survive that next two weeks. Otherwise you will just be living in misery for not being able to get even the most basic necessities. 

I've had my financial struggles, most recently last quarter of 2014 and the feeling was like, eurgh. My online business was pretty slow and every day I was begging and begging to God to give me sales so that I could tide over financially for the week. The salary I received, after giving my mum cash and then paying the bills, could not sustain for long given how things can be quite expensive here. 

In the end, I received some advanced cash but not for me, it was payment for something at work and I secretly used the money. I did  pay back when I received my bonus in December and although it was still quite a significant amount to return, if it wasn't for that cash advance, I would struggle BIG time. I do hope I don't have to do that again this year so I've been pretty good in controlling my expenditures, although yes it still suck when I have days like how I described above, where I'm left with this much only after having a certain amount in my wallet.

Again, I want to say that money isn't everything. Sure, it is important but I don't want to like be so obsessed with it that, true story, I would keep on calculating how much I have left and how much I will have, sometimes throughout the bus or train journey. As long as the money is sufficient, good enough but again I won't be complacent and will work hard to promote my online shop to rake in some sales.

This year, I actually jumped onto another free platform and while the sales are quite sporadic, I receive queries and eventually orders. So I don't have to solely rely on facebook anymore. I have yet to get to the stage like some people who would write on instagram on how they feel bad about rejecting orders because they have not much time because most of these people, do it on a part-time basis like me, while juggling a full time job. My thought was, wow...lucky you. Their social media presence made such impact. I only ever had to close my shop once due to overwhelming orders last July but that was just a one-time thing. But that was also because that month was intensive as I had several school projects going on too.

Meanwhile on the other side of the world, families struggle to make ends meet especially when they live in war torn countries and they have very little money for daily necessities and their own and children's medical expenses. Due to lack of food and proper hygiene, they often get sick especially the children and they don't have enough to buy medicine at the pharmacy, because they need the money to buy food supplies like rice. If they get to buy these necessities, it's sad to see how little they can buy which they have to ration carefully so that they have food to eat for the week.

Other children crave for electronic goods and most time, their parents would buy for them with no qualms as long as they pass their exams. For these children, the situation can become so bad that they are the ones going out to work because their parents don't earn enough to support the family.

I'm not saying all this for you to go all zen and cut down mercilessly on all things possible. What I'm saying is to spare a thought for your future and other people who barely have food to eat and clean water supplies. Don't go on a spending rampage whenever you have money and be completely broke the next moment. You can buy the latest make up collection from Urban Decay or the latest gadget but make sure  you still have enough money for food, and if you have a family, to put food on the table and also to save for future because don't think that well, you can just cut down by spending lesser or none at all. ANYTHING can happen and you still need money to survive.

Okay enough rant about money here. Every individual is different and had different needs. But everyone needs to learn to make more informed choices instead of just blindly following the trends and then hurt their own pockets later on. Let's be wiser and spare a thought.


follow me on http://instagram.com/rahayupopz

Comments

Popular Posts