Update Regarding My Mum

As you know, my mum is in hospital. Though she's not exactly in critical stage coz she has been calling me every now and then regarding the household and other matters mainly concerning my brother :S, I still worry for her. Apparently, there is growth at the right side of her large intestine and it has to be removed or otherwise, it will block the flow in her intestine and she will no longer be able to pass motion. And then, she will start vomitting her food out because the food particles are not able to flow properly. That will be the most critical stage already and the doctors don't want that to happen.


So the operation involves removing the affected part of the intestine and then reattaching it with a good part of the intestine. It sounds like a rather simple procedure but the problem now is that they worry that the growth affects the smaller intestine as well and that may complicate things. Worst comes to worst, she may need to wear a bag in the tummy although the doctor assures that since it is going to be inside, she won't feel it. However, okay actually that isn't the worst of the worst. WORST OF ALL, if there is blockage because they are not able to remove the tumour totally as it has also grown into the smaller intestine, she may have to wear a bag outside of her stomach and honestly, nobody wants that because it really reduces the quality of living because it is very troublesome. 


I hope there isn't any complications. She asked us to trust them in their work but you know, they are not miracle workers. I can only hope and pray that everything will be alright. If my mum is no longer running a fever, she will go for the operation tomorrow. 


This whole hospital experience is very scary and I used to remember going there the last time like some visit to a playground but once I have grown up and gone through the worst such as mind numbing moments where I had to make critical decisions and seeing how critically ill my father was, the last thing I want is to be associated with a hospital be it as a visitor or a patient. When I see other people making noise or talk loudly like some kind of family vacation, they don't know what they are in it for. But of course, I don't blame them since maybe they're not exactly in bad situations like visiting a patient in critical condition or that the patient is getting better so there is little cause for worry.

My mum is doing fine and she has been making friends with everyone like what's new. But she dislikes the scanning she has to go through and the numerous injections. But that's part and parcel of staying in the hospital. The nurses probably didn't have anything to do if not for the numerous checks and injections. While some did their duties like they were forced to, some did it with care and concern over the patients to the extent of feeding the patient if they were bedridden and unable to feed themselves. One of them even sang to my mum coz my mum said she likes this one particular singer from Philippines.


I hope everything will run smoothly with no hiccups whatsoever. I really dread the 'bag' coz nobody wants something hanging out of the stomach though that will only be in the most extreme case. It makes you rethink about your life and be thankful for not being in such dire situations.




follow me at http://twitter.com/rahayupopz

Comments

Popular Posts