Loving Your Body

Do you know that some people are just soooooo.....incorrigible? They talk loudly in public to so called 'prove a point' or to tell people that..oh..Im teaching my daughter how to count...or Im teaching my daughter the value of money. Fine if you want to teach them coz..pfft...they're your children but must you talk loudly like up to the point of annoying other people. Then this mother and daughter..with the above situation..was standing so out of the queue that when I went to queue up, how the heck I would know they were there first?! For a good 5 minutes, they didnt even know they were straying pretty far away from the queue. And then when they realised it, the same frakkin' mother had to talk very loudly as if to prove me a point this time that they were there first. Of course I wanted to just tell them..then get in the queue la..no need to talk so loudly...but I just ignored them completely even though they were giving me dagger stares like it was all my freakin' fault.

Sigh..whatever.

On to other things. Well, I have written many times in my blog, that I am very particular about food although this habit of mine dont quite show up when Im out dining with my friends during some few occasions. Coz I hate to say out about these kind of things because people are people. They can say things to hurt you whether it is out of guilt or they just want to bring you down. So it's okay.

Seriously, it's my body and I remembered telling myself once before and it brought on a great deal of motivation that if I love my body, I am going to make sure I take good care of it. Then again, I do forget that it's not just what I eat that counts, but how I take good care of my outer appearance as well. Still, I have recently started to take note of that and has started to moisturise regularly. I must admit it does wonder to my skin.

And oh yah, about my eyes too. They have looked a lot better without those scary looking red eye effect ever since I bought this pretty huge bottle of saline solution for my contact lens. I guess coz I kinda lapsed in taking good care of the lenses that my eyes got infected quite badly.

Anyway do you know this 'love my body' has a different ring to some people? I was watching this show from MTV and even though I dislike their reality programmes, this one was particular good because it does touch on issues facing the teenagers and young adults.

It's about how two young girls in their late teens who are on the heavy side. One of them spared no thoughts about eating because to her, life is about not caring what goes in your body. She thinks that other skinny girls are losing out a lot not eating the food that she loves.

But actually this is something that began when she was a young girl. Infact, her eating regime only started when she went through a painful breakup so food gave her comfort and she was so comfortable with eating, that it started a spiralling effect on her that she was unable to stop.

Still, it made her realise something. That she is worth it. Despite putting on a lot of weight, she dressed up better, owns her own small car and goes on dates and clubbing with her friends. She is every bit a head turner. And there is no way that she is giving that up.

But a girl talk among her friends later intensified that one of them disagreed with her lifestyle. While the rest agreed with her that she has every right to do what she wants with her body, one of them said that if she doesnt watch what she eats, she is going to invite all the unnecessary health problems. But she stuck on to what she believed and said that heck, that person has diabetes, doesnt mean she will have it too.

Then during one shopping spree, she became frustrated that nothing fit her and those that could fit her were unfashionable. So that same friend of hers started saying back at her that she chose to be like this. Although she kinda realised that, but she still would not listen and the reason why she chose to be stubborn was because she felt that she was not going to conform to society's ideal size just so that she could fit into these clothes.

Eventually a health scare during a routine check up woke her up. She felt so in between like if she started to do something about her weight, she is giving in to pressure from friends and family. But at the same time, she does not want to have a life threatening disease at such a young age.

You know what is the best advice she got from the same friend who was telling her that she chose to be like this? Do what you've got to do. It's your body and it's your right. It's not about giving in to pressure, it's about doing what is right for yourself. It is not going to be an easy journey but her friend said that she would be there for her all the way and she did keep her promise.

In the other story, the girl has absolutely no interest in losing weight but it showed her struggle to start a new club about loving your body. And it also highlighted her interest in a particular guy whom she was dying to ask out was afraid that he would look down on her because of her size. In the end, she did ask him and he agreed but they had yet to go out seriously so it was still something on going for her.

Im not trying to preach about having a healthy lifestyle because this is not something new. Even I am not a 100% into it but I am trying my very best although it's really hard. I just want to highlight that it's not about societal pressure to look good and feel good. It's about what you really want and if you are happy the way you are, then that's good. But it doesnt hurt to do some soul searching because sometimes you'll be surprised that actually, you are hiding behind a thick veil of denial spurred on by something that happened in life.

Learn to love yourself first and do that by letting go of unnecessary emotional baggage. That's why I dont believe in forcing my viewpoints down people's throat...well..partly coz I dont think I can handle the flying dagger of words thrown back at me later. Like in that girl's case, her friend is not trying to turn herself into a frenemy. It's very admirable for her friend to still be there for her when all this time, she was met with great resistance while other friends of theirs did not agree as well.

I can understand her situation because I can relate to it. Some of the things we say are not meant to hurt you but it's because we love you as a friend. So before you accuse such a friend like this as being unsupportive, try to understand what he or she is trying to say. After all, that is part and parcel of being friends right?

post signature

Comments

Popular Posts