Kilo123

That's it Rahayu! I have enough of you! You're going out with me! I mean...you're going down with me! But anyway, I am kinda angry with myself for being tryin' to be so freakin' perfect that in the end, nothing is achieved. I mean, sometimes I feel that I am being over conscious that I forget about the one thing that matters most: myself. Right, so that sounds rather 'selfish' but hey, if I want to say something for the benefit of others, why not right? I actually broke my own record for writing not one, not two but 5 freakin' drafts! Just over one stupid programme! Okay, it's not a stupid programme but it's just a way for me to push the blame on something else rather than myself..hee


I wanted to say right from the start that I am in support of the Malay programme highlighting the ways one can do to stay healthy not just for their own sake but for their family's sake. It is a reality based programme tracking the progress of the host who is currently trying to lose weight to show the viewers that it is possible for one to be healthy before our health starts to turn for the worse. He tried to change for the better once he found himself to be putting on more and more weight which he knows may not be good for him in the long run. To land himself in hospital several times due to his swollen foot and almost suffering a 'blackout' on Father's Day, it is time to do something about his expanding waistline. To achieve that, he has engaged some professional help who are experts in the field of diet and exercise to track his progress. He also asked the public what their concerns are when it comes to health and also to educate the viewers over the need to watch what we eat especially when eating our very own Malay dishes that may not exactly be on a good list...if you know what I mean.


Based on my personal experience, the road to a better and healthier you is not easy. If some miracle pill or miracle diet has helped you this far and you are satisfied that the hundreds of dollars you invested in, gave you results, how long can you keep up with the need for such things? What if you stop consuming them and then what, you're going to fall into relapse? One rule of thumb though....the faster your weight loss is from some slimming pills for example, chances are your weight gain can be faster too if you stop consuming them and start to eat as per normal before you lost the weight. But anyway, each individual is different and so we're all entitled to different opinions. Whatever it is, please do some research first and make the relevant enquiries and not just make your decision over what the celebrity who endorses the product says. They're celebrities and you're not. For all you know, they exercise twice as much while eating lesser than an average nobody. You think those pills are responsible? Maybe just a mere 20% or eve less which is what they usually require.


Whatever it is, health is wealth and to kick that off, it is not going to be tomorrow or the next day or the next day and etc...it should start today. We are all guilty of eating some sinful food which does not necessarily include fast food and chocolates. Cant deny that Singapore is an eating haven. Usually, when Singaporeans go overseas, besides missing their families, most likely they would quote certain foods as well which they are not able to get back in that foreign country.


To me, it is also an interesting programme because the creator has addressed the overweight issue among our Malay people. The thing is....is getting rather widespread across the Malay community and it saddens me because already my community is being looked down by the others by getting involved in drug offences and other serious crime offences often. Even though this overweight issue is not that big a problem compared to the above offences, it is still apparent and we know that it is already hard to earn a living here being in a minority group. It doesn't help that even our size can be an issue when it comes to looking for sources of income.


I know that people who are trying to be on the health track can be a tad bit annoying at times especially when they can be so downright choosy when it comes to food. And then another thing is, they would prefer doing daily things that can help burn off fat in between like for example walking instead of taking public transport and then dragging their poor friends or colleagues along when they have the least bit interest to walk. For me, I try not to make it an issue. If I am alone, I usually don't eat the food others may usually indulge in or I used to indulge in. I'd much rather go hungry than eat a plate of rice with dishes which are either deep fried or swimming in oily gravy. Most likely, if I am by myself, I would just buy some small snacks like soya bean cake for example with fruits or oatmeal biscuits and then basically, that's my lunch. On a daily bais except on weekends, usually I work in a team and it wouldn't be fair to them if I bring out the fussy eater in me. I still have respect for them and even if I dont agree with their choice of dishes, I don't have the authority to lecture them about it because we're all adults.


Whatever it is, I try to get a healthier dish even if it not 100% healthy as it can be very hard to find dishes that will make you guilt-free about eating them. But it doesn't mean that we can't make good decisions. We just have to make informed decisions about the food we're about to consume such as eating been hoon noodle soup instead of laksa, something like that. Laksa is a treat that if one fine day, you want to reward yourself with it after trying to eat healthy the past few days, then go ahead. The key is to eat in moderation.


I don't want to sound naggy so I just want to say that don't be annoyed easily by people who are trying their best to be in good health. I know life is short that it will be such stinkin' pain if we have to stop eating roti prata for breakfast already or to not eat curry puffs for the rest of their lifetime. Like I said, moderation is always better like you don't have to eat prata as breakfast for almost everyday. Basically, once a week or twice a week if you're a big fan of them? That way, you will still be less guilty such as knowing that after eating that prata, the rest of the day we must try to control our needs for heavy snacks or try to eat a light lunch instead to avoid adding more calories to the calorie loaded prata already. In other words too, you don't feel like you're losing out in the good things life has to offer such as a nice crispy egg prata..kekeke....


So that's just one of the tricks i develop on my own because like I said, the road to a healthier me is not easy and once in awhile, there will always be one fine particular day where I am on this 'need to binge'. I guess it's the way my old mentality is trying to tell me like 'hello? do you remember me or not? I thought you love eating that chicken wrap?! So go on...have a bite...have a bite...' Eh..something like that lah..hehe...


I sincerely do want my race people to look healthier like before when we have not been given the dubious honour of having the highest percentage in obesity despite being a minority race. It hurts me when I see malay aunties wobbling when they walk as their right or left foot get swollen which make it painful to walk properly. And to carry their rather heavy weight, it is no mean feat and the best that they can do is to have plenty of rest by sitting down to alleviate the pain. Meanwhile, the men are prone to have those round pot bellies along with their overall 'roundness' and it is of great concern that this can induce health diseases such as heart attack. I am deeply saddened by the passing of two known celebrities in our community. Even though they were of different countries, one thing stands out: when a heart attack occurs, it doesn't choose its victims based on the colour of their skins or how rich or poor they are. So before our heart collapse from over exertion or frequent consumption of unhealthy foods, we must start aiming for a better health now.


I am not trying to force my malay community to be healthier but jz a pointer to take note of this programme on Suria channel every wednesday at 9am. Even if some of the things are what we've heard of before and we may roll our eyes thinking..'duh?! of course it's not healthy lah!' and then the next thing we know, we'll eat more than two pieces of curry puffs and then feel all guilty about it. Sighz...life is short man! Quit being guilty over things that you are not able to control like our cravings over a certain dish or snack. But treat it as a once in a while er..treat...I have not reached the age of thirties or forties yet where I see myself wearing a long malay dress like the current crops of malay aunties. I am quite sad that it has somehow become like a trend for the malay aunties or mak ciks to be on a heavier side and you know the areas where women usually put on weight. That is usually the bottom and the stomach in which the fats will be stored if not burned and believe me, it is not sightly to have them both protruding way out as they make it harder for clothes to fit us well according to our figure. In the first place, our figure is gone coz of the bulges and we end up wearing loose fitting clothes to cover these bulges up.


For so many years I dare say, I have always been under the 'greatest cover up'. I couldn't wear clothes like the common kid of my age and in my teens, I was far worse coz when others were at their trendiest best, I had to cope with my increasing weight gain over the years which was gaining speed once I left secondary school. It did nothing to my self confidence and to be 'different' size wise from the rest of my peers put me in a very bad light even though seldom do people give me the stares or rude remarks about me but I felt it. I felt like I was being made fun of but in less obvious ways to make it unknown to me but then, these were just feelings inside of me that I thought people were saying. I know how nowadays those kids who are on the heavier side feel and even if they are not showing signs of distress like how I used to show, you sometimes do not know how 'ugly' or how 'fat' we feel inside compared to other friends. And there is also the need to gain people's respect for us to see us beyond our size and we have to work extra hard at it by being outwardly friendly for instance or cheery so that people can accept us for who we are. It is not easy and at the end of the day, it can be rather draining on us mentally.


Whatever it is, don't be too overwhelmed by what I have just posted this time because I am not accusing anyone of putting themselves in danger by their way of life. My only hope is to see more people of my race to start taking good care of themselves but needless to say, I am also happy that more and more malay families as well as individuals like the aunties I have described to take time to do physical activities with friends. Being a housewife doesn't mean that they should stop taking good care of themselves and only putting their family needs before them. Grab fellow neighbouring housewives together to teach one another ways to cook healthier dishes and also to organise walking trips for instance around their neighbouring blocks so that they are in a better shape instead of just confining themselves to doing housework and cooking. So ladies...grab your sports shoes and start walking! hehe...Oh, for the men, it's high time to cut down on that smoking habit of theirs if they have and also to stay away from drinking too much sweet drinks that can cause diabetes and I doubt they want to start losing their limbs like their legs for instance.


So I urge my malay community to start working together to bring down the percentages and oh, if you're in the food business, PLEASE...not just for my sake but for others too, cut down on the oil and coconut rich gravy...hehe....I still like Malay food but then...err...it'd be nice if for once, I would see more vegetable dishes rather than the usual fried tauges or beansprouts and green veggies like chye sims that are gleaming with oil. One tablespoon of oil is enough..really..and it will taste better with its extra crisp taste as the vegetables are not too soaked in oil. Oh, and cut down on salt and totally banish articifial flavourings like the famous MSG or monosodium glutamate. We can do without it and dont worry about the lack of taste..I am sure there are other things that can make the dishes scrumptious without the use of MSG, seriously! So good luck in all your efforts to be on a healthier track and watever you do, DON'T GIVE UP if you failed once. Pick yourself up and start all over again in your quest...*grinning coz I FINALLY finish this post about obesity among the malay population*

Comments

Popular Posts