Are You A Tech Wannabe?

Okay, the title may sound awfully cruel..haha..But in actual fact, it can be such a cruel reality too..Anyway, I know this may be a tad over already considering today was the last day of the Sitex Convention 2005 held in Expo. I mz tell you that I know it is S-something but never quite got it rite..it's like 'Si..Si...Suntec..Setec..Si whatever..' but I know it is such a tech haven for anyone in for any latest tech gadgetries or softwares and at the same time, you can hunt for bargains too since such conventions usually have special prices attached or with free gifts. heck, if you can get both, why not eh?

I must admite that I am relatively unfazed by all this 'wowza' factors coz I don't have that much of kaching kaching ($$) in my pockets anyway. And I am not so much caught up with the latest Ipod craze but if you ask me, I still am pretty much quite in touch with their developments and have done mental comparisons with I-pod and other leading mp3 brands as well our very own successful home-grown Creative. Actually, come to think of it, don't ask me lah..heh...because whatever it is, everything comes with its pros and cons and sometimes I believe that the aesthetics of a product is one aspect onlie. Like its clean all white look and now the all black look which make Ipod truly uber cool lah if you ask me. Coz you dont have to crack ur brains over what to wear to match ur Ipod since white and black, are pretty much neutral colours. Then again, that's just me.

Right now, convergence is a key word. Like why carry so many clutters of gadgets when you can have one single gadget that have all the popular functions and other 'icings on a cake'. It is also the driving force on why some brands are leading the pack and not lagging because they think out of the box. They don't just 'follow' what are the current trends, but they also speculate what the masses want. They also have a target age group and do a lot of research on the earning powers of people but hey, most of them are young people who are probably just starting out on their careers or are barely out of their education system. So......they look at people's spending habits. Yup, things are definitely changing...but, it can be a true mind-boggling experience if you ask me..and if you are not careful, you can end up with a lot of junk instead, that were supposed to help you in ur daily life, whether for personal or work reasons. So, let me..Rahayupopz...tell ya what you can do to prevent a massive hole in ur pocket and how to be careful with ur spending..! Haha..I love doing this.

Okay, sometimes I get asked about things like what digicams should they get, which Mp3 player is good..yadah yadah. I would be lying if I say I don't know anything but I don't want them to make mistakes either. And usually, these people are my friends lah so if I say I don't know, they know instantly I'm lying through my teeth, cabbage and all.

Yeah, the megapixels are definitely increasing and an increase of even 1 megapixel can spur someone to buy a new phone or a new digicam. And all coz of the 'clarity' of the pictures, which again, I can't tell the difference unless u want me to compare pictures taken in different megapixels under a mega watt light. So..are u just gonna follow the latest developments blindly or are u gonna make sound decisions? K, for once I have no control over these lah..heh....but I shall do something I think can be pretty useful but it's all about knowing what YOU want. The Sitex Convention may be over but it will be back in 6 mths time and I guess this is ample of time to establish what kind of user u are or what kind of things u speculate that u will need when the time comes.

Right, so first thing first...what is ur budget? Okay, this is pretty tricky like let's say, you do have quite a big budget to say, get that digicam with its wide inch lcd screen and 8 megapixels and high zoom factor. But, why settle for one so freakinly expensive when you can vary ur single budget to get an array of things? So that brings me to my next question: What kind of lifestyle do you have?

Say, you are one who uses the camera and video function a lot with ur fon. You are practically walking and observing what is there to snap and post online. So obviously, pictures with better clarity in a camera fon and video function that has a longer record time sound good, don't it? Okaylah, say me. I never had a camera fon before and after using the normal hp with no colours for three years, I was still quite ignorant lah. Or I know but I just don't bother finding out e prices. But when I started to dive into writing online, which people eventually call it as 'blogging'..pictures will give it some 'spice', right? So yes, I 'tearfully' sold my hp for a camerafon. It was damn cheap lah at 62 dollars but to me it's still money so I shed real tears this time.

But I was disappointed over its clarity and the size. But to me as long as it can still work and I can call and sms people, good enough and I endured it for one year till I lost it. (I still can't forget that stupid taxi driver who didn't return me my fon!) Then I got a nokia 7260 which takes better fotos but it's so freakin' louSy! One month u know! One month and that thing is not working properly despite sending it back to nokia TWICE in a week. And yeah, a funnie thing my colleague noticed was the whole of the 3 counters, were attending to my fon model disfunctions. After sending it for repair, and after getting some spare cash, I got a second hand phone from my colleague who used hers for 6 mths onlie. It is working till now and its 1 megapixel camera compared to the nokia 6260 and motorola C650 VGA camera function takes much better pics, perfect for blogs too. Oh, and also even when I send for developing, the pics are still 'passable' like its taken from a normal low mega pixels digicam.

So yeah you got such a huge example in knowing what exactly works and what exactly doesnt either. Actually, in the above analogy, I actually wrote about another thing perhaps you should take note too lah.

Know the difference. Say, I talked about VGA camera and megapixel camera. Handphones that have VGA cameras tend to take grainy pics and the more u zoom the less 'clear' it becomes compared to say..a megapixel fons. Other things that may wanna know the difference depending on what u wanna get are like, the difference between infrared and bluetooth, internal memory external memory, built-in hard drive external hard disk slot, the different MB memory cards, flash drive usb drive hard drive...Pentium 4 PCI express...and so many things lah. If you are in touch with what is out there and the exact functions of the different technical aspects, then good lah. If not, I would say..do ur research. Get ur facts right by simply surfing the net with all the useful info, and then do the necessary comparisons and see what are the pros and cons.

Oh, to make ur job easier, think of what u wanna get..say, a digicam so u may wanna do a quick research based on say, the often mention functions of digicams. And also things are priced based on their functions and their aesthetic qualities. So, if say...u see this digicam so nicely designed with all the 'cute' buttons...priced so cheaply compared to another digicam that looks a bit da boring but has a higher price, look at the fine prints and compare from there.

If say....u don't mind spending more on its user friendliness and the overall experience, then one with the basic functions is okaylah. But if you prefer better functions like higher megapixels, a wider LCD screen, more zoom functions like optical AND digital...then u can narrow down ur search for that perfect digicam. The next comparison is of coz, the price coz I'd tell ya..the more functions it has, the pricier it tends to be. Nothing is for free lah, I'd say.

By the way, how the heck would YOU know what kind of functions u need anyway or say..u wanna get a desk top or a laptop, but dunno which one?! It's easy lah actually..u jz have to see WHY you need, for example, a laptop for instance. Do you think u are going to use often for school or work purposes? Or u'd rather leave to personal usage like maybe play games or just type simple docs or what.for the fun of it. If you get a $3k plus laptop when u are jz gonna end up playing games on it, I'lll slap you. Waste money, hor!

Say, if you wanna get a $3k plus laptop, then think ok, if u are gonna get a laptop of this price range, what do I stand to gain? Then look back ah at the kind of schoolwork u do, say..maybe you need to do a lot of presentations project work..well okay, still passable. But again, if u ask me...for that kind, a $2k plus laptop is good enough lah since u are not dealing with heavy graphics or video presentations that require a higher memory space within ur laptop. A $3k plus laptop if say..u need one with a higher graphics capabilities....or more storage space for ur graphic or video laden presentations to show off to ur clients. If not, then dont waste so much money lah..haha...who cares if it has a whole load of 'goodies'....when half the time u're not gonna use it anyway, right? So it's back to actually KNOWING what EXACTLY u are going to use the tech gadgets for, in terms of ur lifestyle and ur school and work loads.


Right..that may sound a tad bit confusing....haha..okay okay let me be the example but no..fyi, it's just an EXAMPLE lah as stated...im jz 'lending' my name for the sake of those who want a 'piece' of the current IT technology.

My requirements:

I want to buy a laptop. Okay, I don't really need for school work but maybe who knows in the near future? And then...for work, yeah sometimes i may need to use it for projects or any other lame work. But my brother is still schooling and then we fight over the pc ALL the time with me giving in most of the time, which sucks lah. ANYWAY, based on my current knowledge, I'd like a laptop to complement my pc lah. That means, my pc is still going to be the 'core' hardware for major applications.

I mentally or take down what I want in my laptop:

The latest Pentium processor, if possible.

A wide screen. A must.

Clear screen too lah.

Then the keys on the keyboard mz not be 'clunky'. If not, my fingers would be all over the keyboard and I'd hate it when the 'backspace' is just a small button like the rest of the letter buttons. It should be as wide as the 'enter' button

It must have a built in writer. I don't care if it's just a cd writer or a dvd writer. I need a writer.

It mz also have a hard drive of at least 60GB of storage. No less since my pc has already 40GB. And erm..besides, it is also where I want to play PC games..ahem.

If possible, it mz have built in wireless LAN like bluetooth.

More than two USB drives and also, it mz also have card reader slot. My laptop MUST also complement with my handphone that has an external card and bluetooth.

Oh, lightweight too lah. I got err...'fragile' bones

And it MUST not exceed more than 2.5k. At most 2.4k...and it must have various functions that is worth all of the 2.4k.

Oklah, before I make u go to sleep with my endless requirements, basically I'm telling ya to work around YOUR set of requirements. Then next, see what sorta individual you are. Again me..as example.

Individuality

Okay, I love internet and no, not coz I got David Caruso at easy access...although that's a plus point. And I love to play the Sims which require quite a substantial memory space especially the version 2. And, I like to surf net for stuffs to do with photoshops which deal with 2D graphics. And i like to web design too although not always..coz I'm a freakin lazy person. But I have concepts stuck somewhere in between my brain cavitities. I am not a video person but I do take fotos using my ahem..free...digicam which dunno why, the pics are always big. And also, I like USB ports..don't ask.

Basically, I do deal with graphics lah....some big some small..and play games too so I do need quite a big memory space. And having a young brother who just loves to play online games, and also doing his school work online too...then, a computer with built in network cards graphic cards video cards..for instance, will be good.

And I dont wish to spend so much lah. Oh, if they can throw in freebies like printers or mouse of make them have huge discounts is even more fine! Especially, if it's a branded printer, for example. Haha..so yup! I do look at the whole package too. Shameless free loader..

Mp3 Players

Mp3 player? Right..how many MB or even GB do I need? Actually I'm not really particular about it since I seldom download buy buy albums and then download to my pc. hahahaha..u can't accuse me of piracy! I buy original stuffs k...esp when its..GORILLAZ! Love Ya!

But again lah....I see how much I can afford..aha, budget! Oh, for me as long as I can hear clearly, good enough already lah. No need to buy the latest Ipod or what. Oh yeah..if got built in fm radio is also good, but very often not a good choice if it's built in especially if the main function of the mp3 player is...well...play mp3s..Oh, it muz be small also. Then MUST have LCD screen!

Okaylah, u get the idea now don't u? It's easy lah...but one thing u must remember is: do not get carried away especially with what people are currently into. If you don't need it, then you don't need it. Don't have to buy whatever they buy jz coz it's cool or what. But if you know u are going to be a regular user, then consider carefully.

Technical Know Hows

I guess I did touch a bit on this above but I got a few more important pointers. Do research prior to purchase and this includes, the fine lines on what u'll expect to get and make comparisons too. And yes...read up also on things that may not be directly to ur gadgets but are also important. This comes in handy when ur gadget suddenly doesnt work or it needs multiple configurations and if u don't understand at least half the jargons when u go and check out what could go wrong, it may be difficult. And then engaging someone with more knowledge can be costly too even if the solution is clearly simple but u just can't see it.

So again, it's wise to get a tech gadget fully knowing, or at least more than half...of what to expect out of ur new play toy. If you think..'chey, I don't need this or that or this..oh well'...I got one thing to tell ya. You could have done the necessary research...oh, but dont just read it lah..see it based on ur expected usage, for example. Okay, like what's the point of buying an 8 megapixel camera when u take pics for fun but also very few times. Then like that, just get 5.5 or lesser than that lah. And erm...............okay, with some prior tech knowledge, u can amaze people too lah on how much u know ur gadgets and then convince them that hey...u're not a dumb blonde buying something u don't even know what their specific functions are and what make u wanna buy it instead of that other model or brand. If you buy coz the colour is pretty and u don't care how much is it, u're seriously delusional..haha..

Well....it's easy being a tech wannabe but if you are jz trying to 'step' into the tech world, do it slow and steady. Dont be afraid of people laughing at you..coz urs has onlie so much memory or whateva compared to theirs. I can tell ya..the most crucial factors are the 'behind the scenes' part like what is the difference between ur mp23 players and other mp3 players...And rule of thumb? Don't stop with ur research once u get ur tech baby! Get latest updates...no..not new products i mean.....and also, see how far u are doing with ur tech baby. Are u using it often? Do u need more space? Do you really need that digicam with 5.5 megapixel coz u find urself getting a new hobby in photography and 5.5 megapixel is definitely not enough. So, the rule of thumb is therefore................................

Your Individual Needs! This can be studied before and after ur purchase. People change..and soon u think that pda of urs is useless and u need something that can do other things as well.

Okay, u can check out trade-in offers so it's good to keep ur gadgets in tip top condition so u can easily sell it at a good price. Jz dont make it a habit constantly change, even if there is a minimal change.

Happy Researching..and oh..Soul Searching!

Comments

Popular Posts