Running a Business on Passion is Not Enough

This is something I feel like someone should have told me in the first place, haha. But anyway, I told myself when I first started doing this side business that I should not be too emotional in a sense that I can't please everyone. Not everyone is going to be appreciative of what you're doing and there is ups and downs. Sometimes, more downs than ups but I shouldn't take it personal. So I tried my best to hold on to that notion but I'm only human. As part of customer service, I try to handle it tactfully and even though I sound like I'm a little cheesed off, I still remain tactful and end off with something like, thank you or thank you for your patience. Coz some people think their order is the only order that I am making and I really dislike rushed work because I feel like it's compromising on the quality.

Then there is this issue where I would have spent money, time and effort making the things and then either the customer disappear or they dislike what they see. And then it either stops there or they feel like they have no choice but take it. However, it's just beyond me to sell something to someone where they feel like they don't like it. I feel like it's not worth it, like I don't deserve their hard earned money, despite the fact that yes I did spend money on buying the materials and not forgetting the time too. 

But again, what I like or see as something that I think is nice, they think differently. If I were to do this full time, of course I will slowly 'die' if I let these things happen again and again. This is only a side business and I can imagine if your source of income mostly comes from these people, and then you have things to pay like rent for instance, of course you do what it takes to retain these customers and earn their dollars, of course doing ethically. 

Then there is this issue of reputation that if you deliver a subpar service, in the world of social media, this news can spread. Of course it may not always be your fault but do they really care. They can sugar coat their words for all you know, making you the guilty party. 

Honestly, sometimes I'm too tired and I still don't know how in the past 2 and a half years, I don't know how I managed to cope juggling with my studies, working and running this online shop. But what kept me going is how I see other young female entrepreneurs working so hard in reaching out to their customers, whether they're working as a team or on their own, travelling here and there, braving the crowd of people, hundreds of email inquiries, and so on and so forth. 

In other words,  you just keep going. Yes, passion can only take you so far but at the end of the day, you have to ask yourself if this is what you want. If yes, then you have to do what it takes to rise above the challenges and make this business something that you are proud to have. Perhaps it can help you achieve your dream home, dream vacation, further your studies, make sound investments and so on and so forth.

For myself, I want to be able to let it be my second source of income. I have yet to achieve reaching my dream monthly income of at least $500 but I sure will one day. Then I will accumulate my profits as savings so that I no longer havae to be so dependent on my pay from my full time job because it can only take me so far. Things in Singapore are not cheap. However, I am not greedy. If I can save bit by bit for rainy days, I'm still fine. My family is not well off and I'm fine with that. I just don't want to be dirt poor or completely broke. 

It's not all about money too. It's about finding yourself, finding what you love and working at it to keep your passion burning and not be overwhelmed by the high expectations that comes with every business that runs in the world. I know I can do this. I won't easily give up.



follow me on http://instagram.com/rahayupopz

Comments

Popular Posts