Beauty Regime

In my recent entry, I actually talked about how it can be fun being a young woman and Im not just talking about the shoes, the bags, the clothes...of which form the basis 'must-have' items on my womanly woman's list. But if there is one thing that I am not that proud of myself and even though time and time again, I remind myself that I ought to take good care of my skin, my hair and my body as it is all part of 'love me' checklist, I always fail to even perform the basic necessities. I mean, once upon a period of time, I actually indulged myself in the practise of religiously moisturising my skin in the day and especially at night and then scrubbing them with an extra moisturing liquid soap. I didn't know what stirred me into getting into such practice coz I actually gave up hope of regaining back a good skin especially the areas around my shin, my ankles and my feet. They have been savagely destroyed by rashes which left them heavily scarred (looked like they had been stubbed with a cigarette butt repeatedly). Worse, these rashes would come and go. Medication will stop the itching and this pink coloured tube cream (which I swear upon until now) helped to 'dry' them out and repair my skin at the same time making the scars less visible. However, if I saw a bit of improvement, I would stop putting it on but it will come back again in a matter of days.


The whole cycle will start all over but I don't want to start again and I know the repercussions of the bad rashes on my skin which I did think will never recover. So okay, I just took my chances I supposed and then to myself that perhaps, my skin was too dry which made it prone to getting rashes even with the slight contact with dust. I go down pre schools for field work, and I must say, not all of them have a spanking clean environment. Dust is the number one culprit. Wonder how the children survived.


Anyway, when I first started out putting on the body lotion, of which before this, I was too scared to put any on for fear of inviting rashes, but thought I would just carry out an experimentation. The last brand I used, over the course of a week, or even immediately, I didnt feel like my skin was being bitten by a thousand ants. So okay, one down and the body moisturising shower foam which I used also didn't leave me with an itchy skin right minutes after shower. I persevered and then I told myself that I should not expect quick results which I doubted I will ever have a scar-free skin but nope, neither am I gonna invite future rashes with my dry skin. Then, as it turned out, it became a ritual for me and it was only two months later (im slow la..) that I realised, eh...I haven't had a case of itchy ankles for the last two months!!! The rashes also started looking faded due to my constant scrubbing in the showers of which before this, I was only contented with lathering the liquid soap all over my body with my bare hands only. And by the time my body lotion almost finished (I had never gone beyond using a quarter of anything...), my skin never looked so good before and infact, it looked rather shiny as well instead of dull and right into my second bottle, I am not conscious of the lower half of my legs anymore.



Infact, I didn't have to hide them behind long ugly skirts that would hike up anytime to reveal the bad skin below. Nobody stared at them anymore and all due to my daily regime of moisturising. After that, I extended to moisturising my arms which also improved its blotchy texture due to itchy scars that refused to go away and I can now wear short sleeves. Ok, so it helps to work out a bit to gain a longer leaner arms. Muscles can wait..haha..like what I told my friends and close colleagues to not touch my arms unnecessarily as it would hamper my muscle development.

So my point is, why am I slacking now? My skin, though the rashes have not made a comeback, they looked dull as these days, as part of work, I sit through a gruelling task of sitting behind a desk under the air con everyday including Saturday mornings. Air con...is bad for your skin. Even my face looked so freakin' dull. When I was doing field work, I used to slather on this face tinted moisturiser with SPF qualities and the tube was used till the very last drop and it had never failed me. It gave enough coverage and at the same time, didn't give me a cakey appearance while protecting me from the sun rays..phewh! Unfortunately, the tube is no more and sighz, due to my budget-consciousness (the thing sets me back by 50 dollars) recently, I have to go bare faced ever since I used another tube of a higher SPF with obviously didn't suit me well as it became far worse. Initially, it rid me of a bad blotchy skin but my skin looked 'empty'.



However, I guessed due to the 'shock' I gave my skin from being in the air con and then walking out in the hot sun mid afternoon and after work later, I would have this one or two white heads that are rather persistent and will not go away easily. Worse, they leave scars and yup, now I have to hide them temporarily behind concealer..eurgh..did I mention how 'fun' it is to be a woman?


Now Im a big fan of CLEO and the recent issue taught me that as long as I scrub a dub dub my skin before going to bed and slathering on all the beauty essentials like toner and moisturiser, I will not have breakouts easily. Oh, the best thing I learnt too? I don't have to put on foundation for the entire face and I could use it like a concealor to cover up certain parts so that it will sort of balance the whole face. Then nowadays, foundation are made with our skin in mind in which it will let our skin 'breathe' with its hypoallergenic quality and they also contain SPF to protect from the sun rays. So I shouldn't shun them out totally because as long as I choose the right foundation and apply them on correctly, it will still give me a good bare faced look. Still, it may not be an everyday affair for me as the best is still to let your skin breathes on its own naturally. Definitely, I will take good care of my skin as I feel so guilty that instead of following the beauty commandments to a T, I actually created beauty sins of which I myself will suffer five years down the road when im thirty if not careful.


So instead of trying to improve my life on a daily basis, I must try to adopt good habits for my skin. For I am ... a woman! Hear me roar! (Some kind of motivational prep talk). See, it’s not easy being a young woman who is stuck at being right smack in the middle of her twenties. But I know that on top of all these daily and nightly beauty regimes of which the sheer number of products out there is mind boggling enough, I must do something about myself for only I can love myself to bits. I can’t ask for another body, so might as well make good use of it, I suppose. Please remind me to take good care of myself. Hey, as a fun thought, if you have a personal blog, you can put up this link to show support towards yourself that you promise to love yourself. Only by loving yourself, that things like eating disorders, depression, low self esteem will not take place. It’s a big step but to know that we’re not the only young women out there experiencing self loathing at times, together we can step out of this shadow and say that ‘We can do it’.




Seriously high time to take a good walk in the park or anywhere and start jotting down notes in our mind on the positive things about ourselves. It is high time that we should focus on the qualities that we like about ourselves rather than thinking when will be the time we can downsize our thighs or have a flat tummy (talking about myself here..). With sheer hard work, that can be done but for now, start loving you now! And I shall remember to put on the night moisturizing lotion and start all over again my beloved night activity besides singing: DIY manicures and pedicures!





Comments

Popular Posts