Skip to main content

Choosing Time Over Money & Health




My family having a birthday celebration 


Last Thursday, I was on course on positive workplace. I just wanted to attend a course as a sort of escape from office work, lol. After that I went for my Cardio Hip Hop class and also a birthday celebration for me and my mum at Swensons. Fun fact. My mum and I share the same birthday month and it’s a mere 3 days apart. 

As for the course, it was quite a good course, a little dry, but it’s always the case because they need to also share the theories besides just doing group work. Anyway, during the group work, we were encouraged to share stories but due to limited time, the sharing was done by two people in a group each. My group happened to have some very chatty people but it was good, so I don’t have to talk so much, lol. They were like on autopilot.

The trainer looked young but very experienced. Armed with experience and a Master’s degree, he is now doing private practice with half his time doing therapy and another half conducting workshops like these. I didn’t share this but recently I turned 38. But I felt that at this age, I was still breezing through life and perhaps not achieved even half of what I wanted to do. I hope to change this for the better before things become too late like seriously, life can just suddenly take a sharp turn.

Anyway, two of group mates who shared came from the private sector. And the working hours were long and arduous such as having to complete work until 3am in the morning and being on 24 hour on call. Different industries but both were just as demanding, taking a toll on their health and their relationships with their family members were also affected. At the end of the day, they felt that they made the right decisions, though difficult, to change jobs and work in a government sector. They weren’t too particular which ministry, as long as they can work within the hours and come back in time during office hours. They did experience a  pay cut and one of them was pretty significant, casting doubts on the potential employee if this was what he wanted.

They were also able to fulfil their other commitments such as looking after the mum with ailing health, spending more time with the family and also for their own self-care. All these couldn’t be measured in terms of dollars and cents. Yes, Singapore is expensive to live in and not all of us are privileged but it is still manageable if we are able to live within means. And to not be too fixated on living the perfect lifestyle often portrayed by people online but what is best for us and our immediate loved ones.

Every day we have choices to make in life, be it simple or life changing. It can be a happy trade off or one filled with challenges. But it is how we learn to manage our expectations and asking ourselves what do we want out of life. Do we want more money? More time? I wish we can have both like I know how there are people who enjoy being on vacations, having more recreational time but still make a lot of money in between. Of course they work hard too in order to achieve such idealistic work life balance. But you know, we are just mere mortals, lol. I think to me, as long as we work hard, plan well and set realistic goals in life, we can be anything, so to speak. After all, we each have 24 hours in life. It’s how you make use of it that matters.

So what do you think? Would you give up the good money for more time and better health?







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Step at A Time

Hello there It has been a while, right? I used to treat this blog as a place for me to rant, talk about nonsensical things and interests that, when I think back about it, were pretty cringeworthy. But it was part of the process of me growing up and navigating through my life which is full of ups and downs, just like the tidal waves. I still need a form of outlet to write out my thoughts and I have been journaling for the last few years. At first, I was still writing nonsense, or simply writing about how my day went, but I try to make it a more conscious journalling where I will write about things that I can take lessons from or to reflect on. So how has life been for me? Well, I no longer am running an online shop where I used to do customised cards and then just specializing in box cards. I do want to have an online business, preferably one I don't have to travel to meet people.  If you read my last post about being zen, I think I have 'tripled' the amount of zen inside of...

Listen to Me

It kinda irks me when I am trying to express an opinion or sharing a piece of knowledge but it's met with strong objection or Im being cut half way before I even finished. I mean...come on...does it hurt to actually listen first, doesnt matter if u agree or not? Yes I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions but it's frustrating because I feel like a sore loser. That sort of conversation is actually begging to be turned into some huge argument if I am equally annoying and equally strong headed as well. But I dont want to do that especially if they are my friends. Then again, I am subjected to being called a wimp or somebody who cant stand up strong against what she believes in or her own opinions. That will sorta give the person a sense of pride for getting a landslide victory. At first I used to think that hey, maybe the person has a point and I am wrong. But come to think of it, that's bull! It's one thing not to argue and another thing to let ur own opinions b...

Not Gone from Good

Life hasn't been good lately especially in the last two weeks. The latest news is that it seems that almost everyone has an increase in their pay due to changes in the civil servant wage scale and very unfortunately, my group didn't get it. So my boss, whose post is that of a manager and the operations manager, have quite a significant salary rise.  I heard she got a 10% pay rise. 10%!!! look, even the attendants got a pay rise. What we got? nada! zilch! Why? Because apparently our salary is of a competitive range. Sigh, such is the unfairness of life. I'm already struggling as it is and then apparently now, the rich has become richer. The poor remains nothing but a destitute mess. So I guess the only chance for a pay rise is for me to be promoted and though I do not know how much pay rise will that be, at least it is going to be slightly better. The problem is that I have no clue when I will get promoted. I am not one of those people with many super ideas that will great...