My Experience at the Jewel During the Preview

So, like maybe half of Singapore's population, I went to Jewel, the new hyped Mega Shopping Mall located in the vicinity of the Changi Airport terminals, during the preview. My friend got the tickets and had an extra pair so she had asked me since I am often free, even when I had to work, lol. Anyway, I took leave that day, without telling my mum because I know she will freak out as it not a very good reason to be off from work.

The first attraction we saw was the tallest indoor waterfall and it looked like this very big vortex in the middle of the ocean. Naturally, people were crowding around the place to take pics. I did too =))) But it was impossible to take a picture without people in the background.

Then as we walked, there were many Japanese inspired design such as this mini trail where you could take a instagram pic in the middle of it, and tricking people into thinking you're in Japan. Even the shops were Japanese inspired. One of the stores, Tokyo Hands, from yes..Japan, had an official opening, and there were two Japanese well dressed men, greeting people as they were entering the shops. Oh my. One of them was so good looking, and to think the day before, I was just watching this live action anime and they reminded me of the characters. 

Fun fact. I had no idea Jewel was a shopping mall before I came. I thought it was the name of their newest terminal. Oh ma Gawd, where have I been. I guess coz shopping isn't a word synonymous with me, haha. Ok, moving on.

My friend's son was in a stroller so we couldn't go up the escalators but had to take the lifts, which take forever to come. When it came, people were rushing to get in so I told them to go first and I would take the escalators instead. There were many elderly people and families with children. But some of the escalators only went in one direction for both so I had to go up the other side to take. Once I reached the canopy, it was so freaking crowded and at one point, I got pushed by an elderly guy. Some point of entry/exit were closed for crowd management so I had to walk back amidst the crowd again, and risked being pushed again too, to go the longer way for the actual point of entry. But looking at the crowd, I stood in the middle where it was less crowded, for some breather, and asked my friend to go ahead and explore first. Once the crowd had slightly decreased, I braved the crowd again. But I didn't go all the way in because as I met with them, she was saying it was very crowded inside.

We didn't go to the famous A&W restaurant, more like famous for its 2 hour queue, and I didn't see the Pokemon Centre :(( so I was hoping to go again when the hype has slightly died down.

There were other restaurants too that made its Singapore debut such as the famous US Shake Shack, which was not officially opened yet, but people were already taking pictures of the menu board and the exterior of the restaurant. Yes, I was one of them. I liked that in between, there were many seats for people to sit down and rest. I feel that shopping malls in general, should have more seats too, it was always a nightmare finding one.

How was my experience? While I didn't get to explore much, I thought that it was interesting and live up to its name. Just that if you are planning to go there to eat, better to avoid those crowded restaurants because seriously, who got time to wait so long just to eat. But Jewel is well connected to the terminals that you can come out and buy, probably cheaper food, to overcome your hunger without burning a hole in your pocket.

The crowd is not expected to be lesser as Jewel has now opened officially to the public. It is big enough for you to walk around comfortably in general, but expect the crowds to be mostly at the attraction areas. Have fun and take lotsa pics.

Below were some pics taken on that day.

















Comments

Popular Posts