March is a Month of Me Being Sick

I am back!!! I don't believe I had not been writing for the whole of March. I wasn't at my best. I was sick TWO times, and the first time, I actually had to leave work half way in the morning, CRYING. It was some embarrassing sh*t because I normally cry at home but not in front of freaking people. But the stomach ache got me so bad, I just wanted to go home and then sleep, because I was barely able to walk and sit. Every movement seemed force because I had to tell myself, to take one step at a time. 

Honestly, this happened before, not at this workplace, but my previous workplace. At one time, it happened right before I went to work in the morning, my tummy ache felt so bad and it was not as if I ate something that gave me that really bad tightness around my tummy. It just happened like that, when I woke up, or the pain jolted me out of my sleep. Then, I was getting ready for work but I could barely stand up after getting out of the shower, and was lying down on the bed, still in my towel. So obviously, I could not go to work because I was in such pain.

For this 2019 saga, I actually thought I was still well enough to go to work. I could stand in the train but towards the last two stations to my workplace, it slowly started to get uncomfy and this carried on when I reached work. I went to the toilet a few times, just to sit there, rub some medicated oil on my tummy, to alleviate the pain. However, it did the opposite of it. There didn't seem to have any effect, including the hot cup of milo I had from the vending machine outside the office. I could even barely stand to wait for the milo to dispense.

Long story short, my clever ass thought that I was still capable of taking the train back home but my colleague was kind enough to pay for my taxi fare and accompanying me downstairs to call for taxi. It was a good decision. By then, I was in tears, barely able to move but forcing myself and luckily, the taxi came within seconds after calling. I could not stop the tears and I was just shedding and shedding and wishing that the journey would be a little quicker. I was slightly crouching from the pain and the tears somewhat helped to a little bit made things slightly bearable. When I got home, I just collapsed on the sofa bed in the living room.

My mum knew of my situation already because I already called, wailing, that I wanted to go home coz I was having a bad tummy pain. She rubbed oil and even though I managed to catch a few winks, I could not sleep properly. The pain kept waking me up. I moved to my own bed and my sleep wasn't comforting at all. 

At one point, I went to the toilet and well, simply 'let go' and felt a little better, able to sleep more comfortable though still not at my 100%. I could check my phone a bit and my brother was messaging me earlier with no replies from me, and he was asking if I had fainted. Indeed, I fainted -_-

Sigh....

I was too sick to see the doctor and good thing, the next morning, the pain was mostly gone and though still groggy with sudden pangs around the tummy, I was able to walk and take the bus to the polyclinic. But when I reached the poly at 10am, they booked my next appointment as a walk-in at 2pm so I had to make my way back home. I was not going to hang around at the clinic for 3 hours plus. I went home and slept for that one hour plus, minus the drama from yesterday, and got up promptly to make my way to the doctor again.

So I got better, that is until two weeks later.

I went to my friend's house with another friend who then drove to Northpoint for lunch. Since morning, prior to the visit, I was already feeling a little sick. The day before, I was coming down with a little sore throat which then became worse the next day when I visited my friend. During lunch, the milk tea soothed my throat and I wished I could just order one more cup. But the sore throat was slowly making me lose my voice and showing signs of coughing, which then turned to full blown coughing for the next couple of weeks. 

That Sunday, I even went to gym but I had some difficulties swallowing so for the first time, I didn't drink water at all. 

The fits of coughing bothered me a lot, especially when I was at work the following week, so since I didn't want to take medical leave, my mum made me go to the doctor, again...on a Saturday. It seemed that this time round, my tonsils took quite a beating and hence why I was coughing so badly. 

My brother was lamenting why do I always get sick whenever I return from overseas. I dunno..it's like I'm not meant to travel.

The weekend after I went to the doctor and could again visit the gym the next day, on Monday, I was coughing so excessively that I developed fever which started during a meeting. The room got extremely cold and mind you, I was wearing long sleeves. I didn't have any 'drama' like with the stomach ache but I tried to buy the food and groceries quickly so I could crash when I reached home, on the same sofa bed.

By then, my mum was thinking, why am I sick again. I don't know Mum, I don't know. Again she goes back to the theory that I have poor dental hygiene which caused the virus to invade my body. 

The cough took awhile to soothe and just yesterday, when I thought oh goody, I am not coughing again, yesterday night, I had the coughing fits again. As though my cough was telling me, 'oh you missed me huh?' What in the world.

Today, no coughing. Yay me! I think that was the last bit of cough before it decided to leave my body until the next time. My throat no longer felt itchy all the time, even drinking water could not soothe the itchiness. Oh what a drama, last month. All just because I didn't go see the doctor at all last year. Sure I wasn't healthy all the time, I still had my sickness bouts, but not until I needed to see the doctor. I just needed to have that whole day rest, some medicated oil and leftover medicine.

I tried to keep up with my exercises and though some days, I had no choice but to miss because I wasn't well, I was still pretty thankful that I managed to sneak in some exercises on some days that I wasn't so sick. 

To be honest, even the fittest people or fitness freaks (not me, though) are not susceptible to sickness. It can happen, could be due to the crazy weather, being surrounded by other sick people, the food we eat, or that our body is just having a mini meltdown. 

One thing I realised about being sick, that money is the least of my concern, being at times pretty calculative, or my physical looks where I can feel a little low on the self esteem, I just stopped caring about this. I just want to feel back to my normal healthy self again. I don't want to experience this pain. And I also hope that it doesn't turn into something serious and to be glad that these are just common sickness where I can recover from, slowly but surely.

Health is wealth people, so when you can, increase your vitamin intake, watch your diet, and be physically active. But if the common cold or fever gets you down, take it as an opportunity to slow down, let go of any insecurities you have, and just focus on getting better :)


Comments

Popular Posts