Gloomy Economy

Let me offer you a piece of advice. If you need something that is a pretty high value, let's say in the few hundred dollar region or even more, try your best not to get it at hire purchase or get it paid in installments. It's really not worth it coz of the interests payable for each month that can span up to 48 months which is equivalent to 4 years. Sigh....Im saying this coz I got no choice but to get a new washing machine on installment basis because I dont have enough savings to get the machine even at 600 over dollars. So now I end up owing them money which amounts to almost triple the actual amount. No. Kidding.

I really thought I would get over this loan thing coz I had done this before few years back and I hate the idea of owing these people money. I mean seriously I have problems keeping up with bill payments and let alone this?!! But sigh....maybe things will get better coz this year my father will get his retirement funds even though there is a huge delay in getting the funds faster than the actual expected date. Oh well....at least it's still payable per month and it has right now moved up the priority list because this is one payment that I simply cannot afford to defer. And like the previous time, if I have enough finance like during bonus month or during any other special occasions, I will pay more than a month to speed up the process.

Anyway, starting this week I have to watch my budget already and it's purely for household..and...of course my transport money. I shall try my best to stretch whatever I have even if I am going to be a major pain in the ass little miss scrooge. Nowadays, I have preferred walking as a 'mode' of transport whether or not I have money in my ez link card because it saves money and keep me healthy. If it can make my thighs smaller and not bolster pillow-sized, I'll be damn happy as well. I got the whole freaking year so I'll jz take it easy....nice and slow.

You know....I may not be a shopaholic but I love it whenever I come across great unbelievable budget finds. It makes your purchase all the more worth it because it's value for money. You will never know if a blouse that costs 24 over dollars will take a drastic cut up to 50% or a simple top with nice details for just 5 dollars. Still, value or not, it should be something that you will definitely wear in the long run coz if not, really wasted. Like what my mum said, 5 dollars is still money when Im trying to defend my purchase..heh.

But at the same time, instead of being gloomy for not being as fashionable as other young women, I work on what I already have instead of buying newer stuffs and forgetting about my previous purchases. So to me, value for money does not just extend to getting things that have been given a pretty hefty price slash. There were times when my laundry is not fully done yet and Im desperate to wear something like a skirt, for example. And guess what? As Im rummaging through the wardrobe, I do get pleasant surprises like old skirts that still look good to wear.

When I recalled why I didnt wear them or why the heck I stashed them away like that, there were several reasons. Somehow they didnt look good on me at that time coz I didnt have anything to match it with or I could not fit into them and so on. Therefore, I advise you to not be despaired because you cannot shop that frequently because of the gloomy economy. Be creative and see what you've got in your wardrobe and give them a new lease of life especially those pieces that have not seen the light of day for the longest time..hehe.

Speaking of the economy, the people staying around the Kovan neighbourhood seemed to act like nothing has changed such as buying expensive fanciful grocery items in pretty high end supermarket like Cold Storage. And to top it off, pay them via credit card. Seriously, groceries also need to put on credit?! Then when I do my grocery shopping at ntuc fairprice at a so called evening peak hour after work, the cashier lanes are often with very few people where the cashiers even have time to chit chat or sit at one corner waiting for customers with their purchases. But Im fine with that coz I can pay faster and go home faster as well in time to watch tv.

Are Singaporeans oblivious to what is going on around them? Or am I not surprised about that.

It pays to take a reality check and no point making the situation even harder in a bad time like this. It doesnt hurt to cut back a bit on their luxurious lifestyle because you'll never know if things take a bad turn and your rice bowl is taken away from you forcefully.

Unfortunately, now Im stuck with a washing machine that costs more than the original price. I promise to be a good worker so they dont decide to cut me off! I need money to pay my bills!!

post signature

Comments

Popular Posts