Mental Health

Last week, I was on Instagram like I am most times, haha.must start to go cold turkey again. Then there was this post from a well known CEO of a religious institute that was founded by him. He was asking some simple questions such as ‘how have you been?’ And there were many replies but sadly, most were heartbreaking to read. Understandably, due to the Covid-19 situation, some people have to work harder than most days especially when they are in the healthcare industry and being away from their families. 

There were also some facing financial uncertainties like will they lose their jobs because many projects and contracts have been postponed or cancelled, and then facing a dip in their salary whether they are working professionals who received pay cuts or freelancers who are earning little to no income. Some exceptions to those who embrace technology such as to rely more on e-commerce, zoom or web seminars to still bring in the income though not as much as they used to, depending on how many people sign up. They have to be more creative  in their web content to continue attracting people. It’s a new territory for many people but life goes on, you know.

But the other group of people have me concerned about their mental well being. There was one lady who actually wished for accidents that would cause head injury or bleeding in the brain that she can forget about everything. My gosh, to wish such a thing upon yourself. She further commented she wished there was a reset button for her life as she had made mistakes. 

The poster then said ‘every wrong turn we made i life, meant to show us something we would not have seen if we went the other way’. Personally, I have made mistakes in my life too such as flunking my second year of studies badly in school but I ended up being in a class where I made friends and he friendship lasted until now. I have also made financial mistakes in the past that I literally paid for if only I listened to my younger brother, who despite his age, knew that I was making one. 

Did I suffer from my mistakes? yes. Did I learn from them? I did too. At times, we have made mistakes because we were unable to see for ourselves what we would be landing into because at that point of time, it may mean we were not thinking clearly. Or we were driven by desperation that it seemed to be the only solution.  

Some people also regret mistreating other people or not loving them enough until they’re just gone for good in their lives. It’s sad but from these realisations, we can emerge stronger and we can become better than we were before. Time heals most wounds and we may not forget but we can heal and start a new chapter.

I am all about taking it one day at a time. Nobody knows what will happen the next day or in the future. But so long as it is within our capacity to make things right in our life so that we live in lesser regrets than we already have, we can get through this. Sometimes it helps to let it out and even if you think that they may not have immediate solutions to end our misery, but rather than keeping it bottled inside, and suffering alone, it’s hard to manage our feelings and every day will seem like a drag. Instead of celebrating life that we get this opportunity to make things right and better, we cloak ourselves in misery.

I went through some personal sh*t for many years and until last year, when my secret was out that I had not fully settled the problem even though I said I already did, obviously there were some disbelief, cries, angry rant and what not. But I also started to receive help for a problem which I thought would take a few more years to resolve. As difficult as it can be, through sharing we may get the help that we thought we would not receive because we don’t want to come across as needy or someone who can’t ourselves together. 

I wish us well during this time and for that girl who wished such an unspeakable thing on herself, I hope she is feeling ok now. For those who felt that they’re not ok, i hope they’re feeling better too. Take it slow and steady. We can pull through this.




Comments

Popular Posts