Extension of Circuit Breaker, its Impact & Working from Home


I found this hilarious as I have been doing home workouts too, lol. I'm sorry to my neighbours living below me. 

So now living in Singapore where we have 12K over Covid-19 cases and in recent days, the number has been reaching 1K plus per day due to the active testing of the foreign workers in the dormitories. As such, since we are still in a critical stage, two weeks since they implemented the Circuit Breaker (CB), our Prime Minister dropped another bad news, the extension of the CB for another 4 weeks. With that, even stricter measures and the closing of even more F&B outlets such as the popular Bubble Tea shops, ice cream, drinks and snacks kiosks.

Now the Bubble Tea, or BBT, caused such a commotion the day of the announcement that many flocked to the various BBT shops and ordered online through Grab to have the so called 'last drink' before the closure. The extension of CB is until 1st of June and there so many have the impression we would be without this popular drink for about a month. It was chaos and I pitied those BBT makers who suddenly faced a surge in demand for the drinks, both walk in and online. To an extent, a quarrel broke out as many people were in high tension and the staff for another stall broke down.

When we leave the house, we have to put on a mask or face a fine of $300. You think they're just kidding but when you know the stats of the people who had been fined, they really do mean business. Heck, it's a big amount, no doubt, to pay as a fine especially when there are many of us in financial difficulties due to loss of income and such. 

Recently, the government has given 90% of Singaporeans $600 each as part of the Solidatory Budget to get us through these tough times. The running joke was that they wanted to earn back the money they had given us by using up the funds from the 2nd reserves. So in no way would I want to give them back, lol, even though initially I was one of the few who didn't don on a mask coz it was uncomfortable.

Since the CB has affected many businesses, freelancers, as they were forced to halt or cancel current and future jobs, and that F&B industry has also lost much income since no dine in was allowed, various financial assistance schemes were offered to help both individuals and companies. It's for a short period of time to at least give them something to fall back on until the CB is over. But of course, over the long run, the impact is greater but it's inevitable. 

We are also forced to work from home as part of the measures to curb the spread of the virus and I am one of them affected. It bores me to death and it's so hot to work here in my room. I spent my time lazying around on the bed mostly, lol. 

I still visit shopping malls to buy food and groceries daily. I'm not one of those families who buy groceries weekly coz I have to adhere to my mum's manic use of certain products which is frustrating but yah, she's my mum. It has become more of a hassle now because from yesterday, the mall I frequent almost every day for necessities, introduced the scanning of our Identity Card, before entry and after exit. This caused long queues to form at the entrance. Though it was cleared pretty fast, it's no joke when  you have loads to carry and then you have to queue to exit. 

So in recent days, there was so much anger and frustration among the Malay community because a whistle blower decided to do a video on whether home based businesses, especially those selling food from home, are allowed to carry on during the Covid-19 period. She was doing her followers on IG a favour by making a call to several parties and clarify on this matter. So she felt like she didn't do anything wrong. 

However, though no additional measures were introduced in regards to this, with the stand since even before the Covid-19 that it's not encouraged and if they choose to do such businesses, it should be within strict guidelines. But the fact that she decided to do this during the times when some of our people are using this month of Ramadan to take in orders and make extra moolah for the upcoming Idul Fitri celebrations, her 'help' wasn't well received. 

As 'valid' as she felt the need to raise the issue, why now? Especially when people are struggling to earn income and may have even lost their jobs and have only this to supplement their basic needs. I don't believe in attacking her personally but I understand people's frustrations as for many, this is their rice bowl so I dunno, I'm sure, like it or not, it has affected her even though her home business (of being an influencer), doesn't include selling food.

Honestly, I don't see it as something that should be stopped coz online deliveries are still going on such as the Grabfood deliveries. They are not meeting their customers either so there is no contact. The food are passed over by the third parties whom I believe are practising contact free deliveries.

So much mixed feelings and so many changes. I wish I can stay home as advised but I still have to go out buy stuffs as my family still needs to eat. I just have to bear with the inconveniences. Let us go through this tough period with ease.

Comments

Popular Posts