Battle Against Diabetes

Well, this month has been pretty okay so far but for all I know, some God forsaken crisis will turn up and make things worse but hey, that's just life in general I suppose. Important thing is to lift your head up high and tell yourself that everything will be over. Unless of course it's something good, then please prolong it somehow.

Anyway, I actually wrote a post already earlier in the week but I found it rather draggy coz I was just being my long winded self. Earlier in the week, I had just lost my elder aunt who had helped to pay for my dad's funeral expenses.



She loved my father and with a heavy heart, I hope she is blessed in Heaven by God. She too had lost her life after suffering from a long time from diabetes. Though my father only went through dialysis, which is a medical procedure where they rid of toxins in the blood by 'cleaning' it, in hospital coz he was in crisis, my late aunt actually had been receiving the treatment since 2003.

It is a painful procedure which unfortunately many dialysis patients have to go through them at least three times per week. As painful as it is, dialysis can actually help to prolong their life by keeping their blood clear of toxins because their kidneys are no longer functioning properly and one of their functions is to rid off these toxins.

Diabetes is also hereditary so there is a high chance that if Im not careful, I may also develop this illness. The medical expenses for diabetes are very high. People say that it's a lifestyle disease. Well, it's partly true because if you are not careful with what you eat and choose to wallop everything nice and dandy (plus high in fats and sugar) while making all sorts of excuses to avoid exercise or do any physical activities, you are inviting trouble.

But then, it can also be true that in your own body lies dormant cells or genes or whatever they call them and they may just awake and cause disruption to your health. If our direct family members have some sorta of illness, chances are we may also develop them in future. So prevention is always better than cure. People say that life is too short and enjoy life as it is and dont always try to limit ourselves. Well we can still enjoy life but we must know our limitations because at the end of the day, we only want to make sure we have many more years to go so we can lead a fulfilling life rather than suffering through them.

I know I always sound preachy but you have no idea how naive I can be as well. But then things happen and you know you cannot always think that life is rosy and you're some sort of invincible human being. Given the opportunities to indulge, frankly speaking, I would really love to give in to those temptations of eating the food that I used to eat in the past. I would also not want to sacrifice my time walking after work instead of taking the train and not attend gym every weekend as I would rather sleep in.

But I have to coz my immune system is not exactly top notch and chances are higher for me to develop long term illnesses such as diabetes coz my family members had them. I still have a family to support and they are everything to me. I know we have our differences but at the end of the day, we are still together as one through thick and thin.

So if I say Im not scared, Im lying. Starting from now, I want to encourage myself to eat more veggies, fruits and wholemeal grains. Forget about the fad diets coz their benefits are actually short term but the guidelines to healthier living are actually very easy to follow. It's just that well, a lot of us think that they're pretty troublesome and restrictive. But in the long run, when you keep on adding years to your life and you don't often get sick, you can thank yourself for it.

To my dad and my aunt, your sufferings have ended and I hope that wherever you are, you find peace. Amin.



post signature

Comments

Popular Posts