Skip to main content

Beauty is Subjective

Photo by Lisa Fotios from Pexels

I recently watched a youtube video by a local content creator and she was sharing how she normally spends her days, now that she is back in Singapore to visit her family. While each day is unique, she typically divides her time between spirituality, work, healthy and family and friends. Each one is pivotal in the running of her life and being productive. I think that is a great way in how you spend time and make the best use of it, rather than just wasting time on social media which uh..most of us are guilty of. Me especially, lol.

Anyway, what caught my interest to write this blog post was a shopping trip she had with her sisters. One of her younger sisters liked this blouse with banana prints on it, which in her opinion, was pretty questionable, prompting her to ask if she thought that looked nice. Her sister confidently said 'Beauty is subjective'. 

Well, she is right. I honestly never thought of phrasing it that way though I try my best not to compare myself to others. It's hard but I have come to accept that well, I will never be of averaged size. But my world doesn't stop revolving, right? Life still goes on.

Anyway, everyone views beauty differently. It can be physical looks, size, appearance and fashion taste. What's questionable fashion to you, may be a total cool piece of fashion to them. It's very subjective. Some guys like having muscular arms, like really muscular looking, some like having subtle defined arms or just regular looking arms, haha. Some girls like long hair while some girls love their pixie hairstyle. Then there are girls who go all out doiling themselves in make up because more is more and those who prefer the less is more look.

Personally, I like make up though I don't really like to spend too much on it because they're ridiculously priced nowadays. But most people I know, whether at work, or my own friends, they're not really make up people so it's hard to relate or share my interests. But I like it because it gives me some confidence boost. I am no pro of course yet I still like having a bit of blusher or mascara. It's not about getting approval from others because that can be unhealthy but you look good for yourself, you know. 

Then there are those who went for plastic surgery to change some parts of their looks and if they are influencers or celebrities, often they get nasty remarks on how they are being bad role models towards their younger audience. First of all, they can do what they want and they don't owe you a living. They want to look their best and if they think changing their looks can help, it's up to their discretion. At the end of the day, it's for their own happiness. Of course when it became like an addiction then probably they need help because the issue has become much deeper than just wanting to look good until their health is affected.


So back to the sisters's story. So the older sister chanced upon a blouse with animal motives which she liked and immediately got countered attacked by the younger one, like who had questionable taste now. In the end she said, eh then you can become the zoo and I will be the one with the bananas. So we're all happy with our choices.

Even when I watched these Korean Idols how handsome or fierce looking when they performed like make my heart skip a beat. But when they're not wearing make up, they're just like you and me unless they have good genes then I can't say anything, lol. 

Let's start embracing our own unique beauty because beauty is subjective, no need to always chase for people's approval just as long as we're happy.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Step at A Time

Hello there It has been a while, right? I used to treat this blog as a place for me to rant, talk about nonsensical things and interests that, when I think back about it, were pretty cringeworthy. But it was part of the process of me growing up and navigating through my life which is full of ups and downs, just like the tidal waves. I still need a form of outlet to write out my thoughts and I have been journaling for the last few years. At first, I was still writing nonsense, or simply writing about how my day went, but I try to make it a more conscious journalling where I will write about things that I can take lessons from or to reflect on. So how has life been for me? Well, I no longer am running an online shop where I used to do customised cards and then just specializing in box cards. I do want to have an online business, preferably one I don't have to travel to meet people.  If you read my last post about being zen, I think I have 'tripled' the amount of zen inside of...

Listen to Me

It kinda irks me when I am trying to express an opinion or sharing a piece of knowledge but it's met with strong objection or Im being cut half way before I even finished. I mean...come on...does it hurt to actually listen first, doesnt matter if u agree or not? Yes I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions but it's frustrating because I feel like a sore loser. That sort of conversation is actually begging to be turned into some huge argument if I am equally annoying and equally strong headed as well. But I dont want to do that especially if they are my friends. Then again, I am subjected to being called a wimp or somebody who cant stand up strong against what she believes in or her own opinions. That will sorta give the person a sense of pride for getting a landslide victory. At first I used to think that hey, maybe the person has a point and I am wrong. But come to think of it, that's bull! It's one thing not to argue and another thing to let ur own opinions b...

Not Gone from Good

Life hasn't been good lately especially in the last two weeks. The latest news is that it seems that almost everyone has an increase in their pay due to changes in the civil servant wage scale and very unfortunately, my group didn't get it. So my boss, whose post is that of a manager and the operations manager, have quite a significant salary rise.  I heard she got a 10% pay rise. 10%!!! look, even the attendants got a pay rise. What we got? nada! zilch! Why? Because apparently our salary is of a competitive range. Sigh, such is the unfairness of life. I'm already struggling as it is and then apparently now, the rich has become richer. The poor remains nothing but a destitute mess. So I guess the only chance for a pay rise is for me to be promoted and though I do not know how much pay rise will that be, at least it is going to be slightly better. The problem is that I have no clue when I will get promoted. I am not one of those people with many super ideas that will great...