Skip to main content

Nutrition 101: Popular Dishes

So before I start my post, let me entice you with some delicious food from our country, Singapore.


Char Kway Teow


Chicken Rice


laksa




Nasi Lemak

These are some of our popular dishes and trust me, they are indeed mouth watering if you can get the best of the best. I have tasted them a long time ago and even though I have eaten the healthier versions except for the char kway teow, of course nothing beats the cooking in their traditional forms.


While there are extremists like *ahem* yours truly here who don't eat them anymore, actually you can still indulge in them. If you intend to lose weight or maintain your current healthy weight, consider the tips I have included here below.


Recommended number of times you can eat, by the experts? One per fortnight. And no, I don't mean all in one go.


The problem with these food, though delicious, is of course the calorie content which is very high. For example, the coconut milk used in laksa and nasi lemak or the kway teow noodles in char kway teow. I have to stress this though. A dish can only be deemed fattening and detrimental to your health if you eat a large portion of it. Therefore a few biteful of it won't give you instant weight gain. You must learn to exercise portion control when eating food that are high in calorie content and one way of doing this is to basically share out the proportions so you don't eat one meal on its own. It's also a good way to save cost too!  You know how expensive food is nowadays. My mum occasionally will ask me to buy chicken rice and though I don't eat the whole thing in its entirety, I normally eat two, and at most three biteful of it. Sometimes, it is just a matter of relinquishing the taste of it.


Alternatively, if you pack home, you can eat half the portion and keep the other leftover half for next day's meal. That way too, you don't easily bust your daily intake of fats in under a day or in just a meal.


How about learning to recreate healthier versions of such food? You can replace coconut milk with soya milk. It will taste just as good, if not better. Add more vegetables so you can get the added nutrients and minerals.


These food basically contain little or no vegetables in them. Why not bring it up a notch and include a salad as a side dish. That way, chances are you won't be able to finish it all in one go as the fibre in the vegetables will make you fuller fast.


For more tips on portion control, you can refer to this website:


Portion Control


Curious as to how much calories char kway teow, laksa and any other popular local dishes have? You can go to the HPB website.





follow me at http://twitter.com/rahayupopz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Step at A Time

Hello there It has been a while, right? I used to treat this blog as a place for me to rant, talk about nonsensical things and interests that, when I think back about it, were pretty cringeworthy. But it was part of the process of me growing up and navigating through my life which is full of ups and downs, just like the tidal waves. I still need a form of outlet to write out my thoughts and I have been journaling for the last few years. At first, I was still writing nonsense, or simply writing about how my day went, but I try to make it a more conscious journalling where I will write about things that I can take lessons from or to reflect on. So how has life been for me? Well, I no longer am running an online shop where I used to do customised cards and then just specializing in box cards. I do want to have an online business, preferably one I don't have to travel to meet people.  If you read my last post about being zen, I think I have 'tripled' the amount of zen inside of...

Listen to Me

It kinda irks me when I am trying to express an opinion or sharing a piece of knowledge but it's met with strong objection or Im being cut half way before I even finished. I mean...come on...does it hurt to actually listen first, doesnt matter if u agree or not? Yes I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions but it's frustrating because I feel like a sore loser. That sort of conversation is actually begging to be turned into some huge argument if I am equally annoying and equally strong headed as well. But I dont want to do that especially if they are my friends. Then again, I am subjected to being called a wimp or somebody who cant stand up strong against what she believes in or her own opinions. That will sorta give the person a sense of pride for getting a landslide victory. At first I used to think that hey, maybe the person has a point and I am wrong. But come to think of it, that's bull! It's one thing not to argue and another thing to let ur own opinions b...

Not Gone from Good

Life hasn't been good lately especially in the last two weeks. The latest news is that it seems that almost everyone has an increase in their pay due to changes in the civil servant wage scale and very unfortunately, my group didn't get it. So my boss, whose post is that of a manager and the operations manager, have quite a significant salary rise.  I heard she got a 10% pay rise. 10%!!! look, even the attendants got a pay rise. What we got? nada! zilch! Why? Because apparently our salary is of a competitive range. Sigh, such is the unfairness of life. I'm already struggling as it is and then apparently now, the rich has become richer. The poor remains nothing but a destitute mess. So I guess the only chance for a pay rise is for me to be promoted and though I do not know how much pay rise will that be, at least it is going to be slightly better. The problem is that I have no clue when I will get promoted. I am not one of those people with many super ideas that will great...