Skip to main content

Fitness 101: Dumbbells

I like writing about stuffs that are also not directly related to my life so that I can help girls younger or around  my age to reach the peak of their confidence level simply by being more comfortable in their own skin :) So do read up my articles titled 101 something something and hopefully you can learn a thing or two.


I can't say I'm totally nuts for good health but I have to emphasize that you still need to know the importance of good health. And being in good health doesn't necessarily mean avoiding high cholesterol food only. Exercising is still a must, even if you don't run in marathons. I can safely say that you are in good hands as long as you eat more of what is good for your body and less of what is bad. Don't forget to also exercise so that your body will remain in tip top condition and you don't fall sick so often because it's not just going to affect you but also your work and your personal lifestyle. No boss likes to have a sickly subordinate.


This time, Fitness 101 presents to you....dumbbells.












Okay I know a LOT of girls fear these things as they are afraid their muscles will bulk up and soon they will be like the female version of Jon Cena. Really, you won't bulk up. Those women wrestlers who are way too bulky for the frames take a long LONG time to be of that size. And they also take special concoctions of milk shake and other forms of special diets. So you are basically good to go.


If correctly used, you can actually achieve leaner and more toned muscles and if you can build up muscles, you actually can burn more fats and therefore lose even more weight so it's a really win win situation. You won't have that irritating flabby skin and with a leaner frame, you will look less 'clumsy' looking. Not to sound offensive especially those on a heavier side, coz frankly speaking, I still am on the heavy side though not so much like the last time as I was rather sick and tired of looking the way I am and having problems finding clothes that fit me without me looking like a spare tent.


One of the ways I managed to have more toned looking arms is using dumbbells. At first, it was rather awkward and I thought how these heavy yet puny looking things can help me achieve leaner looking arms. I used to always wear long sleeves to cover up my arms coz I found them to be so big and clumsy looking. After a while of hitting the gym, I decided to use them since nobody really used them anyway and I kinda liked it. Soon, I got rather addicted to it and after months later, I realized that as I was losing weight, I didn't quite have the effects of losing weight like loose flabby skin. And I find myself more and more confident in not wearing long sleeves all the time and I could now wear a variety of blouses, except for sleeveless ones coz they're still not my thang.


But I have to admit that I didn't do dumbbells for a very long time now as I concentrated on the rowing machine and other weight machines which I now realize are good but maybe not good enough to work on the smaller muscle groups. Probably the rowing machine may have helped me to maintain those arms and chest muscles that I have but I find that I still have the problems of big looking arms and I think the way to go now is to start making use of dumbbells again.


The free and easy dumbbells work on your smaller muscles and unlike those weight machines which are pretty standard in their movements, you can do a variety of movements with dumbbells. Don't believe me? I found this very useful website that you may want to take a look at. It contains a variety of moves that you can actually do:


Dumbbell Exercises


The best is to buy those rather lightweight dumbbells which you can use every day at home. For an even more toned looking arms and chest muscles, you can also buy those long exercise rubber bands and do your toning alongside with the dumbbells. They work wonders together.


So this Sunday, I am going to try out those dumbbells. I don't really like to hang around that section coz they're mostly guys so it's so weird but I guess I can find some small corner near to the rack of dumbbells to get me some work out.


Give it a try :)




follow me at http://twitter.com/rahayupopz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Step at A Time

Hello there It has been a while, right? I used to treat this blog as a place for me to rant, talk about nonsensical things and interests that, when I think back about it, were pretty cringeworthy. But it was part of the process of me growing up and navigating through my life which is full of ups and downs, just like the tidal waves. I still need a form of outlet to write out my thoughts and I have been journaling for the last few years. At first, I was still writing nonsense, or simply writing about how my day went, but I try to make it a more conscious journalling where I will write about things that I can take lessons from or to reflect on. So how has life been for me? Well, I no longer am running an online shop where I used to do customised cards and then just specializing in box cards. I do want to have an online business, preferably one I don't have to travel to meet people.  If you read my last post about being zen, I think I have 'tripled' the amount of zen inside of...

Listen to Me

It kinda irks me when I am trying to express an opinion or sharing a piece of knowledge but it's met with strong objection or Im being cut half way before I even finished. I mean...come on...does it hurt to actually listen first, doesnt matter if u agree or not? Yes I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions but it's frustrating because I feel like a sore loser. That sort of conversation is actually begging to be turned into some huge argument if I am equally annoying and equally strong headed as well. But I dont want to do that especially if they are my friends. Then again, I am subjected to being called a wimp or somebody who cant stand up strong against what she believes in or her own opinions. That will sorta give the person a sense of pride for getting a landslide victory. At first I used to think that hey, maybe the person has a point and I am wrong. But come to think of it, that's bull! It's one thing not to argue and another thing to let ur own opinions b...

Not Gone from Good

Life hasn't been good lately especially in the last two weeks. The latest news is that it seems that almost everyone has an increase in their pay due to changes in the civil servant wage scale and very unfortunately, my group didn't get it. So my boss, whose post is that of a manager and the operations manager, have quite a significant salary rise.  I heard she got a 10% pay rise. 10%!!! look, even the attendants got a pay rise. What we got? nada! zilch! Why? Because apparently our salary is of a competitive range. Sigh, such is the unfairness of life. I'm already struggling as it is and then apparently now, the rich has become richer. The poor remains nothing but a destitute mess. So I guess the only chance for a pay rise is for me to be promoted and though I do not know how much pay rise will that be, at least it is going to be slightly better. The problem is that I have no clue when I will get promoted. I am not one of those people with many super ideas that will great...