Skip to main content

Turning Hobby into A Business Venture

Recently I have made...$60 from my cardmaking ventures. I'm really proud of it because I've actually made money..hehe. But then that is because I bothered to put it on facebook and one of my working colleague wants me to help her make one. Initially I made the smaller ones which is the A2 size but her idea of an actual card is uhm..the A5 size which is like half the size of an A4 which I initially I didn't have. So I had to stay up late until about 3.30am in the morn to make them so that she can choose which one she wants. So, is this what you call sacrificing time for business? haha.

Anyway, it paid off, well literally as well, because I got $10 instead of $6.00 because she thought that a lot of hard work is placed into it. 

Just as I thought that I could use this moolah to save up, I went out with my two friends that evening and used up the $10 because my friend bought more than the usual for us to share because she was feeling very hungry :( Didn't help that we were in the wrong queue and had to wait longer than normal.

Oh well. The remaining $50.00 I got it from my vice principal when she accepted my proposal to make birthday cards for the teachers. $50.00!! *gulp* I didn't want to accept the money at first but she was pretty insistent. To be honest, without that $50.00, didn't think I would survive this week before I got my reimbursement. Thankfully the reimbursement got in just yesterday...yay!

I try my best not to touch it but then I have been in dire financial situation again. Currently I'm still thinking of ways on how to take better pictures..haha. My picture taking skills suck after so many years of not owning a proper digital camera. 



Tonight I will be working on another 4 to 6 more cards so that I can give her on Friday for the June babies. I have actually drawn out my layouts so that I will spend less time doing it as I've already got what I wanted to make in mind instead of it being a 100% on going thought process.


I need my beauty sleep anyway..haha. Oh, I'm also thinking of venturing into some other things as well such as handmade invitation cards and tags for people on a smaller budgets. At least it isn't so boring just to make cards. I've made some simple accessories as well because I don't want to put to waste all the things I have for the accessories making. I've decided to keep it simple because that's what I'm good at only. At least better than nothing, right?


Speaking of which, I need to start making them already. Have to get up early later because I've got training at HQ .


This Sat, if I can remember, I will post up pictures of my work. I really like what I'm doing..turning this hobby into a potential business. Do support me :)


follow me at http://twitter.com/rahayupopz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Step at A Time

Hello there It has been a while, right? I used to treat this blog as a place for me to rant, talk about nonsensical things and interests that, when I think back about it, were pretty cringeworthy. But it was part of the process of me growing up and navigating through my life which is full of ups and downs, just like the tidal waves. I still need a form of outlet to write out my thoughts and I have been journaling for the last few years. At first, I was still writing nonsense, or simply writing about how my day went, but I try to make it a more conscious journalling where I will write about things that I can take lessons from or to reflect on. So how has life been for me? Well, I no longer am running an online shop where I used to do customised cards and then just specializing in box cards. I do want to have an online business, preferably one I don't have to travel to meet people.  If you read my last post about being zen, I think I have 'tripled' the amount of zen inside of...

Listen to Me

It kinda irks me when I am trying to express an opinion or sharing a piece of knowledge but it's met with strong objection or Im being cut half way before I even finished. I mean...come on...does it hurt to actually listen first, doesnt matter if u agree or not? Yes I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions but it's frustrating because I feel like a sore loser. That sort of conversation is actually begging to be turned into some huge argument if I am equally annoying and equally strong headed as well. But I dont want to do that especially if they are my friends. Then again, I am subjected to being called a wimp or somebody who cant stand up strong against what she believes in or her own opinions. That will sorta give the person a sense of pride for getting a landslide victory. At first I used to think that hey, maybe the person has a point and I am wrong. But come to think of it, that's bull! It's one thing not to argue and another thing to let ur own opinions b...

Not Gone from Good

Life hasn't been good lately especially in the last two weeks. The latest news is that it seems that almost everyone has an increase in their pay due to changes in the civil servant wage scale and very unfortunately, my group didn't get it. So my boss, whose post is that of a manager and the operations manager, have quite a significant salary rise.  I heard she got a 10% pay rise. 10%!!! look, even the attendants got a pay rise. What we got? nada! zilch! Why? Because apparently our salary is of a competitive range. Sigh, such is the unfairness of life. I'm already struggling as it is and then apparently now, the rich has become richer. The poor remains nothing but a destitute mess. So I guess the only chance for a pay rise is for me to be promoted and though I do not know how much pay rise will that be, at least it is going to be slightly better. The problem is that I have no clue when I will get promoted. I am not one of those people with many super ideas that will great...