Skip to main content

Our Quiet Raya Celebrations for 2015

Hari Raya celebrations has always been a quiet affair for me and my family. My paranoid mother doesn't like to receive guests and we don't actually visit people as well, except for one of my aunties. You know, it does seem like my childhood memories seemed more interesting with the visits, lol, even though I never looked forward to the first day because I had to go to the house of two my aunts from my dad who I wasn't close to.

Anyway, so Hari Raya has been like a family thing for us instead. Mum will prepare the food although at some point, she did it grudgingly because suddenly she had this 101 things to do list. I wasn't so fussy but I MUST have my sambal goreng. It's actually a traditional Malay dish that is often found in most Nasi Padang stalls or mixed rice stalls. They have fried beancurd, fermented soya bean cakes (tempe) and sliced long beans. There are many variations but these ingredients usually stay and they would be pre-fried first before adding to the chilli gravy and then cooked to almost dry or slightly wet, depending on preference.

I used to love choosing this when I used to buy Nasi Padang but because I don't consume coconut milk anymore, which is one of the main ingredients in making the gravy, I've stopped eating. I actually still do, occasionally from a stall near my house, because she doesn't use coconut milk. Some don't use it unless they want a thicker and richer gravy. 

Okay, so from below you can see the delectable Malay dishes which were so yummeh. I ate a lot of the sambal goreng which you could eat with either rice, ketupat (rice cakes) and even bread. You know, as I'm typing this out, I realized I might have talked about this dish before, lol! Goes to show how I love this dish.

I didn't have a new baju kurung or a Malay traditional dress but this was from some years back which I thankfully could still fit. There was one time I wore some dress from awhile ago and I was struggling to fit in despite having fasted for a few weeks. It's so traumatizing I could remember it until now, haha!

So here are the pics including the mentioned favourite dish of mine and my baju kurung from years back along with my family and my cousin.




follow me on http://instagram.com/rahayupopz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Step at A Time

Hello there It has been a while, right? I used to treat this blog as a place for me to rant, talk about nonsensical things and interests that, when I think back about it, were pretty cringeworthy. But it was part of the process of me growing up and navigating through my life which is full of ups and downs, just like the tidal waves. I still need a form of outlet to write out my thoughts and I have been journaling for the last few years. At first, I was still writing nonsense, or simply writing about how my day went, but I try to make it a more conscious journalling where I will write about things that I can take lessons from or to reflect on. So how has life been for me? Well, I no longer am running an online shop where I used to do customised cards and then just specializing in box cards. I do want to have an online business, preferably one I don't have to travel to meet people.  If you read my last post about being zen, I think I have 'tripled' the amount of zen inside of...

Listen to Me

It kinda irks me when I am trying to express an opinion or sharing a piece of knowledge but it's met with strong objection or Im being cut half way before I even finished. I mean...come on...does it hurt to actually listen first, doesnt matter if u agree or not? Yes I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions but it's frustrating because I feel like a sore loser. That sort of conversation is actually begging to be turned into some huge argument if I am equally annoying and equally strong headed as well. But I dont want to do that especially if they are my friends. Then again, I am subjected to being called a wimp or somebody who cant stand up strong against what she believes in or her own opinions. That will sorta give the person a sense of pride for getting a landslide victory. At first I used to think that hey, maybe the person has a point and I am wrong. But come to think of it, that's bull! It's one thing not to argue and another thing to let ur own opinions b...

Not Gone from Good

Life hasn't been good lately especially in the last two weeks. The latest news is that it seems that almost everyone has an increase in their pay due to changes in the civil servant wage scale and very unfortunately, my group didn't get it. So my boss, whose post is that of a manager and the operations manager, have quite a significant salary rise.  I heard she got a 10% pay rise. 10%!!! look, even the attendants got a pay rise. What we got? nada! zilch! Why? Because apparently our salary is of a competitive range. Sigh, such is the unfairness of life. I'm already struggling as it is and then apparently now, the rich has become richer. The poor remains nothing but a destitute mess. So I guess the only chance for a pay rise is for me to be promoted and though I do not know how much pay rise will that be, at least it is going to be slightly better. The problem is that I have no clue when I will get promoted. I am not one of those people with many super ideas that will great...