Skip to main content

Rest in Peace Heath Ledger

So sad...the passing of Hollywood actor Heath Ledger. He was so young having died at the age of 28 only with reason still undertermined though largely speculated that it could be due to substance abuse because of the pills strewn all over him when his body was found.

I was just looking at the chinese newspaper when I was queueing up at cold storage and was wondering why the heck they put movie stills from Brokeback Mountain on the cover. And then as I was surfing on the net and going through a popular gossips site, I saw his name and the title didnt have a nice ring to it and indirectly implying something along the line of a not-so-good thing. I was like..oh..my gawd. Dont tell he died!

And unfortunately, that was the case. Heath Ledger was found dead on Tuesday 22nd January 2008 in his New York apartment. Now I dont exactly follow his work but I did watch Brokeback Mountain which I would say was his best performance. Okay if you're thinking that I watched it because I was curious of it being a gay movie, you're right. But I was a nervous wreck watching the movie as it was not something that was the norm. Then again, even if a heterosexual couple was kissing on screen, I would have cringed too..so no difference. I am not a lovey dovey person in the first place anyway.

Now Heath was a struggling actor hailing from Australia and he was one of those rare sorts that put his heart and soul into acting by taking up any acting jobs because of his love for acting. Plus, he knew that to survive in Hollywood and to secure a job in acting was very hard and very competitive. So it was all system go for him and would hardly think twice about its implications on his future career. To him, acting is acting. And when he took on a role, he practically 'lived' the character which led to a mindblowing performance with great intensity which many people could vouch for when they watched Brokeback Mountain. I guess after a string of movies that barely made him a star, when he got that major part in a controversial movie, I guess he saw it as an opportunity to push his boundary and make people stand up to his acting ability.

And he succeeded at it. I was like...whoa...you could practically go through a series of emotions like you could feel his character's feelings of loss, anger, confusion and happiness like one big giant roller coaster and would take awhile to shake off those feelings.

But I think everything has its limits and while his acting in the movie did have an impact on us, it did have an impact on him as well. He was so intense in his role that he found it unable to break out of it leading him to take matters in his own hand by taking on certain drugs to help ease his mental stress a bit but with little success. It didnt help that later on, he got a part as the Joker in the upcoming Batman movie which also required a great level of intensity because the Joker was a menacing and dark character and not just some villain who loved to 'clown' around.

It would have been his next breakout hit and though filming had wrapped up, it was speculated that the character had somehow affected him even more and his emotional status became worse than before. Now the toxicology report is not out yet and only a few weeks later that it will be revealed as whether he had died from an overdose. Meanwhile all else are mere speculations.

Well, my heart goes to you Heath Ledger. You have made a mark on Hollywood from an unknown actor to an actor whose credibility had been raised and who had shown the critics on what you were capable of.

Rest in peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Step at A Time

Hello there It has been a while, right? I used to treat this blog as a place for me to rant, talk about nonsensical things and interests that, when I think back about it, were pretty cringeworthy. But it was part of the process of me growing up and navigating through my life which is full of ups and downs, just like the tidal waves. I still need a form of outlet to write out my thoughts and I have been journaling for the last few years. At first, I was still writing nonsense, or simply writing about how my day went, but I try to make it a more conscious journalling where I will write about things that I can take lessons from or to reflect on. So how has life been for me? Well, I no longer am running an online shop where I used to do customised cards and then just specializing in box cards. I do want to have an online business, preferably one I don't have to travel to meet people.  If you read my last post about being zen, I think I have 'tripled' the amount of zen inside of...

Listen to Me

It kinda irks me when I am trying to express an opinion or sharing a piece of knowledge but it's met with strong objection or Im being cut half way before I even finished. I mean...come on...does it hurt to actually listen first, doesnt matter if u agree or not? Yes I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions but it's frustrating because I feel like a sore loser. That sort of conversation is actually begging to be turned into some huge argument if I am equally annoying and equally strong headed as well. But I dont want to do that especially if they are my friends. Then again, I am subjected to being called a wimp or somebody who cant stand up strong against what she believes in or her own opinions. That will sorta give the person a sense of pride for getting a landslide victory. At first I used to think that hey, maybe the person has a point and I am wrong. But come to think of it, that's bull! It's one thing not to argue and another thing to let ur own opinions b...

Not Gone from Good

Life hasn't been good lately especially in the last two weeks. The latest news is that it seems that almost everyone has an increase in their pay due to changes in the civil servant wage scale and very unfortunately, my group didn't get it. So my boss, whose post is that of a manager and the operations manager, have quite a significant salary rise.  I heard she got a 10% pay rise. 10%!!! look, even the attendants got a pay rise. What we got? nada! zilch! Why? Because apparently our salary is of a competitive range. Sigh, such is the unfairness of life. I'm already struggling as it is and then apparently now, the rich has become richer. The poor remains nothing but a destitute mess. So I guess the only chance for a pay rise is for me to be promoted and though I do not know how much pay rise will that be, at least it is going to be slightly better. The problem is that I have no clue when I will get promoted. I am not one of those people with many super ideas that will great...