Skip to main content

Honouring Their Words - My Business Dilemma

I had been excited making notebook covers up to last Monday but unfortunately, I haven't been paid for it and the notebooks are sitting near my laptop. I was supposed to earn about $29 but I didn't get a single cent yet. They should honour their words when they say they would pay. I know I shouldn't focus on the sales part and just continue to do what I love, which sometimes take me through the wee hours, but I'm a small fry. I even went to Tiong Bahru mrt station twice, one with a no show, and the other one where she showed up but made me come out of the exit gate which means I have to pay new fare when I come in again. All this to get $10, it's like a complete waste of my time.

But why do I do this? I've read of success stories where they cycle to the shipping docks to deliver shipping supplies like towels etc or of delivery of one pen to an office nearby and look at where they are now. They are successful millionaires who also become philanthropists. Of course I'm not seeking to reach that stage but it's their determination to overcome obstacles and make their business successful. Who knows, my next few orders will bring in even more money than the unpaid $29.00. 

Sigh.

Is this how I celebrate my Labour Day in the morning?

I wish things will get better. Probably I'll take these as stepping stones in a sense that I will NOT get it started until I receive the money first, which honestly was in my terms and conditions and which of course, I did not follow and got myself in this situations. I shouldn't be too nice. Plus, the next step is to get the contact number of the person if I am going to meet up including getting a down payment.

If I want to be successful, I have to lay down these ground rules. There are all sorts of customers out there, including the fussy and complaining sorts and hello I am living in Singapore, but the best thing to do is to deal with them. Be upfront and know your rights as a business owner. Don't let them be the boss of me.

So yah, I want to be a good businesswoman but I don't want to play too nice either. Make it work for both sides :)

Visit my online store http://www.facebook.com/mylittlecardshop

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Step at A Time

Hello there It has been a while, right? I used to treat this blog as a place for me to rant, talk about nonsensical things and interests that, when I think back about it, were pretty cringeworthy. But it was part of the process of me growing up and navigating through my life which is full of ups and downs, just like the tidal waves. I still need a form of outlet to write out my thoughts and I have been journaling for the last few years. At first, I was still writing nonsense, or simply writing about how my day went, but I try to make it a more conscious journalling where I will write about things that I can take lessons from or to reflect on. So how has life been for me? Well, I no longer am running an online shop where I used to do customised cards and then just specializing in box cards. I do want to have an online business, preferably one I don't have to travel to meet people.  If you read my last post about being zen, I think I have 'tripled' the amount of zen inside of...

Listen to Me

It kinda irks me when I am trying to express an opinion or sharing a piece of knowledge but it's met with strong objection or Im being cut half way before I even finished. I mean...come on...does it hurt to actually listen first, doesnt matter if u agree or not? Yes I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions but it's frustrating because I feel like a sore loser. That sort of conversation is actually begging to be turned into some huge argument if I am equally annoying and equally strong headed as well. But I dont want to do that especially if they are my friends. Then again, I am subjected to being called a wimp or somebody who cant stand up strong against what she believes in or her own opinions. That will sorta give the person a sense of pride for getting a landslide victory. At first I used to think that hey, maybe the person has a point and I am wrong. But come to think of it, that's bull! It's one thing not to argue and another thing to let ur own opinions b...

Not Gone from Good

Life hasn't been good lately especially in the last two weeks. The latest news is that it seems that almost everyone has an increase in their pay due to changes in the civil servant wage scale and very unfortunately, my group didn't get it. So my boss, whose post is that of a manager and the operations manager, have quite a significant salary rise.  I heard she got a 10% pay rise. 10%!!! look, even the attendants got a pay rise. What we got? nada! zilch! Why? Because apparently our salary is of a competitive range. Sigh, such is the unfairness of life. I'm already struggling as it is and then apparently now, the rich has become richer. The poor remains nothing but a destitute mess. So I guess the only chance for a pay rise is for me to be promoted and though I do not know how much pay rise will that be, at least it is going to be slightly better. The problem is that I have no clue when I will get promoted. I am not one of those people with many super ideas that will great...