Skip to main content

A Mini Financial Windfall

I had quite a financial windfall this week, well..all $77.50..heh, and I started the week pretty moody because in my head, I kept thinking how to make more sales to make up for the $50 I had to take out from my online shop profits in my pouch. It was quite a good motivational boost and I absolutely loved the boost. Even though a few times this week, I had to sleep and wake up late at night to do the works, I didn't mind it. I'm all for it. Of course, other days when I'm not producing the goods, I get my sleep..haha.

I do want to take this online venture to a point where I'm making money every week, pretty much like this week. It will be a great thing. Even if it is a mere $5.00..whatever it takes to put up something on the facebook page and then other people see it, 'like' it and then some other people see it and may even buy it. I am exploring other ways that I can do to add value to my online shop. 

But all this things..I thought might have been directly due to the fact I chose to spend money on people that I care about. Remember in my previous post, I was talking about having to buy pizza for my family to celebrate Mother's Day because my mum complained I always don't do anything for her. Since it was pay day the day before, I thought I could just buy the family pizza for dinner. Of course it was a bit daunting for me because I'm trying to save money and then spending on expensive dinner isn't my idea of celebration but then you know, I see other families prior to that in the mall, queuing up and about to spend money in restaurants in celebration of this very day. Then, I thought that I won't be spending as much money as them. Of course, the best is to have home cooked for me but I think it's a bit far fetched to uhm, make my mum cook on this day huh?

Prior to that, I gave $10 to my friend's daughter when we met up with her because my mum told her. I decided I have to not because my mum want to (erm...okay, maybe that too) but her mum has been  pretty generous giving me stuffs that she doesn't want to and she thinks I might want it. Of course I do want it because we're talking about MAC paint pot Rubenesque. I have neve owned a MAC paint pot! That $10.00 doesn't mean much to her generosity. Although she didn't want to take it at first and I may happily want to take it back, I didn't and after much persuasion, she took the money for the benefit of her daughter. I reaped the reward when that night itself, I got two orders via my online shop. Happiness.

Oh yes, why I'm talking about the Mother's Day dinner and how the next day I felt awful because I used some part of my profits on it, I actually read this facebook update about my colleague spending money on her relatives as part of her birthday celebration. Then what she said struck me, if you spend on others, you will reap the rewards later. 

Of course you must do it with sincerity and not do it because you want to reap the rewards. You do it because you want to show your appreciation of others (like me towards my mother) and then if you get duly rewarded, then good for you but don't make it the main priority. It's just how kindness begets kindness.

So now while I can't totally shed my calculative nature, I felt that I shouldn't be too calculative when it comes to my family. Totally shouldn't. Just like how one philanthropist donated millions to one of the universities here because she and her late husband believed in its education system and how it incorporates social values.

But is she just merely giving away her millions just like that and then, getting her value lower and lower? No, while she gives away her millions, it forces her to think about how to earn the millions back like for example, selling one of her properties.

I pretty much want to be like that. Money makes the world go round. In order to save money, you need to spend money but of course you need to spend it wisely. I should concentrate on spending money on my loved ones and doesn't matter if I don't get to have racks of shoes or clothes, as long as they're happy, I'm happy. I hope my online business flourishes one day but until that day comes, I shouldn't be so uptight about spending on my family.

They are the only ones I've got.

 



Visit my online store http://www.facebook.com/mylittlecardshop

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Step at A Time

Hello there It has been a while, right? I used to treat this blog as a place for me to rant, talk about nonsensical things and interests that, when I think back about it, were pretty cringeworthy. But it was part of the process of me growing up and navigating through my life which is full of ups and downs, just like the tidal waves. I still need a form of outlet to write out my thoughts and I have been journaling for the last few years. At first, I was still writing nonsense, or simply writing about how my day went, but I try to make it a more conscious journalling where I will write about things that I can take lessons from or to reflect on. So how has life been for me? Well, I no longer am running an online shop where I used to do customised cards and then just specializing in box cards. I do want to have an online business, preferably one I don't have to travel to meet people.  If you read my last post about being zen, I think I have 'tripled' the amount of zen inside of...

Listen to Me

It kinda irks me when I am trying to express an opinion or sharing a piece of knowledge but it's met with strong objection or Im being cut half way before I even finished. I mean...come on...does it hurt to actually listen first, doesnt matter if u agree or not? Yes I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions but it's frustrating because I feel like a sore loser. That sort of conversation is actually begging to be turned into some huge argument if I am equally annoying and equally strong headed as well. But I dont want to do that especially if they are my friends. Then again, I am subjected to being called a wimp or somebody who cant stand up strong against what she believes in or her own opinions. That will sorta give the person a sense of pride for getting a landslide victory. At first I used to think that hey, maybe the person has a point and I am wrong. But come to think of it, that's bull! It's one thing not to argue and another thing to let ur own opinions b...

Not Gone from Good

Life hasn't been good lately especially in the last two weeks. The latest news is that it seems that almost everyone has an increase in their pay due to changes in the civil servant wage scale and very unfortunately, my group didn't get it. So my boss, whose post is that of a manager and the operations manager, have quite a significant salary rise.  I heard she got a 10% pay rise. 10%!!! look, even the attendants got a pay rise. What we got? nada! zilch! Why? Because apparently our salary is of a competitive range. Sigh, such is the unfairness of life. I'm already struggling as it is and then apparently now, the rich has become richer. The poor remains nothing but a destitute mess. So I guess the only chance for a pay rise is for me to be promoted and though I do not know how much pay rise will that be, at least it is going to be slightly better. The problem is that I have no clue when I will get promoted. I am not one of those people with many super ideas that will great...