Skip to main content

Prop 8 and Presidential Election

The proposition 8 is hot topic in America and around the world based on internet findings. It's either a Yes or a No and in a nutshell, those who oppose same sex marriage will of course vote on Yes which means that it will overturn the California law which will take away the rights of same sex couples of marriage which have been given to them earlier in May this year.

It is definitely a controversial and most talked about proposition and millions of dollars of donations has been poured in for both sides of the fence.

But from what has been described earlier, it is more than just allowing same sex marriage. Many people argue that it is also about recognising diverse groups of people in America and taking away their rights is infact discriminatory and not giving these people the right to freedom.

In my general opinion, no one deserves to be discriminated based on their religion, political views and even sexuality. Other people's lifestyle, though I may not agree with them, is entirely theirs and unless they are causing disruption to the social order, they should be left alone as long as they are happy being who they are and not to pretend to be someone else that they are not. Why give other people misery by letting them be conflicted between what they should be and who they really are. It's all about tolerance and learning to live with one another in peace and harmony.

Yes marriage is 'sacred' but if it is so sacred, why do even heterosexual couples go through bitter divorce? Marriage is much more than just a union between a man and a woman. The whole focus of it should be about making a marriage work.

Obama being against Prop 8 is a big thing because he is showing his potential voters that if he is elected as a President, he gives assurance to the Americans, like the LGBT group, that he does not discriminate. Now I am not questioning him and he may live up to his promise to give them their rights but we're talking about a Presidential Election here against his contendor who sees a marriage as traditionally belonging to a man and a woman. For all you know, that group itself carries a huge stake in the number of votes so the tactic now is to reach out to as many Americans as possible especially those in the minority groups to 'sway' the votes in his favour. And John McCain will be seen as someone who lives up to his promise by being upfront of what he believes in and what he does not.

Despite all that I have said, I still believe that Obama's lead in the Presidential Elections should be seen positively because I doubt that he is a person who will not promise what he delivers. Isnt that what we want? To have complete faith in your President? He will have the weight of the world upon him and not just America and to not give him the support that is needed, the Americans will only end up jeopardizing their own country they live in. So it's not about favoritism but it's about who can lead the nation the best.

But only time will tell. Right now, the most important thing is that whoever eventually gets elected as a President, should work towards eliminating the need for war and rightfully return the American soldiers in the war torn countries back to their famillies who have been eagerly waiting for their return.

post signature

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Step at A Time

Hello there It has been a while, right? I used to treat this blog as a place for me to rant, talk about nonsensical things and interests that, when I think back about it, were pretty cringeworthy. But it was part of the process of me growing up and navigating through my life which is full of ups and downs, just like the tidal waves. I still need a form of outlet to write out my thoughts and I have been journaling for the last few years. At first, I was still writing nonsense, or simply writing about how my day went, but I try to make it a more conscious journalling where I will write about things that I can take lessons from or to reflect on. So how has life been for me? Well, I no longer am running an online shop where I used to do customised cards and then just specializing in box cards. I do want to have an online business, preferably one I don't have to travel to meet people.  If you read my last post about being zen, I think I have 'tripled' the amount of zen inside of...

Listen to Me

It kinda irks me when I am trying to express an opinion or sharing a piece of knowledge but it's met with strong objection or Im being cut half way before I even finished. I mean...come on...does it hurt to actually listen first, doesnt matter if u agree or not? Yes I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions but it's frustrating because I feel like a sore loser. That sort of conversation is actually begging to be turned into some huge argument if I am equally annoying and equally strong headed as well. But I dont want to do that especially if they are my friends. Then again, I am subjected to being called a wimp or somebody who cant stand up strong against what she believes in or her own opinions. That will sorta give the person a sense of pride for getting a landslide victory. At first I used to think that hey, maybe the person has a point and I am wrong. But come to think of it, that's bull! It's one thing not to argue and another thing to let ur own opinions b...

Not Gone from Good

Life hasn't been good lately especially in the last two weeks. The latest news is that it seems that almost everyone has an increase in their pay due to changes in the civil servant wage scale and very unfortunately, my group didn't get it. So my boss, whose post is that of a manager and the operations manager, have quite a significant salary rise.  I heard she got a 10% pay rise. 10%!!! look, even the attendants got a pay rise. What we got? nada! zilch! Why? Because apparently our salary is of a competitive range. Sigh, such is the unfairness of life. I'm already struggling as it is and then apparently now, the rich has become richer. The poor remains nothing but a destitute mess. So I guess the only chance for a pay rise is for me to be promoted and though I do not know how much pay rise will that be, at least it is going to be slightly better. The problem is that I have no clue when I will get promoted. I am not one of those people with many super ideas that will great...